Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 11:15 PM

6 posts, read 19,181 times

Advertisements

Hello, this is my first post in these forums!

Well, I currently live in Niceville, FL. I am a sophomore in high school and live my father there. My mother works for GM in Shreveport, LA, which is the reason I am not living with her (horrible place to live if you were wondering).

It is a VERY big possibility that she may be able to transfer to Bowling Green. As my mother is not Internet savvy, I took it upon myself to research the area. Considering this, I have some questions.

1. What high school is regarded as the 'best' in the county?
2. How is the real estate market? We may be interested in a ranch if possible, and of course we are interested in normal housing. She is also unsure if she wants to live there a long time, so are there any sizable rental markets for housing?
3. How 'Southern' is the area? Both of us are natives of the Tennessee Valley and grew up in that area and are much more comfortable in an environment that has a country feel.
4. Is there good golfing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 07:18 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,332,828 times
Bowling Green is a fast growing college town (increased 9% since 2000) with a population of 50,000 in a county of over 100,000. It has a lot of 'normal' suburban style neighborhoods and also a lot of new developments

Here is a link about school testing scores in Warren County: courier-journal.com»Kentucky CATS scores»Louisville, KY

Old 02-27-2008, 07:38 AM

3 posts, read 13,753 times
Hello,
Thought I would drop you a line or two and tell you a little bit about Bowling Green.
Bowling Green is a city of approx. 50,000 in population and it is the home of Western Kentucky University. The housing market is good and it has all the amenities that you need and you are less than an hours drive to Nashville.
There are two school systems in the Bowling Green-Warren co. area. The Bowling Green Independent(City) Schools and the Warren County Schools and both are excellent school systems and are well thought of around the state.
Bowling Green has experienced a lot of growth in recent decades and it is part of the so-called New South and yes it is very southern and it was actually the Confederate capital of Kentucky during the Civil War.
Bowling Green and all of the south central kentucky area as a whole is a very sought after place to live.

Old 02-27-2008, 10:06 AM

4,108 posts, read 10,747,982 times
Well, there's not much in Bowling Green except Western Kentucky University. It is a campus with 19,000 or so students. So, BG is very much a college town.

There's not much to do in BG, except attend WKU ball games and visit Beech Bend Park. As WKU is now a Division I football and basketball school, it's beginning to get more attention in the regional and national circuits (media). I don't know extensively about BG, but have been there just enough times to know that it just doesn't suit my fancy. In fact, I think it's a rather ugly and dreary town and don't understand why people are moving there. Plus, the road system is terrible, antiquated, and hard to understand.

At least some cool things like Mammoth Cave, Barren River Lake, Jefferson Davis Memorial, and Nashville are all within an hour's drive.

Old 02-27-2008, 12:15 PM

2,126 posts, read 6,774,702 times
Browsing these previous threads should help.
//www.city-data.com/forum/kentu...ing-green.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/kentu...ing-green.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/kentu...questions.html

Bowling Green is about as southern as it gets in KY IMO.

Old 02-27-2008, 02:13 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,067,491 times
I'm from Bowling Green originally. Was born there and lived there until college. Spent college in the Lexington area. Spent four months for work in Chicago and am returning in May after college.

Bowling Green is a pretty unique city for its size. It doesn't fit into the KY mold that much. It's a pretty diverse city with a large hispanic and Eastern European (particularly Bosnian) population. Bowling Green High School is (or was) the most diverse school in the state.

The job market is good there. If you want to work you can find work. There's always new businesses opening up.

The nightlife is mediocre. If your young (21-30) there's the downtown bar scene and a few bars around WKU's campus. If your older, or not really into the younger crowd there's not so much to do. There is god golfing however. There's a course that I've heard could possibly end up on the PGA tour (Olde Stone).

Bowling Green does have a southern feel but its kinda more of the southern feel you would get from a Nashville. It's a Southern city but its pretty progressive for its size.

Well thats my brief overview of the city.

Old 02-27-2008, 09:30 PM

Thanks for the answers, y'all's help is appreciated.

Another question regarding high schools. What program would you say has the best football program? I play football and golf, but I am interested more in the performance of the football team rather than the golf team.

Old 02-27-2008, 09:33 PM

Bowling Green High School...alma mater and ex football player...3 state championship appearances int he past 3 years.

I'm not sure about golf.

Old 02-27-2008, 09:34 PM

Wow, the past three years? That's strong. What is it, 4A?

Old 02-27-2008, 11:13 PM

I think so. When I graduated ('04) there were 4 classes in football. Now I think there are 6 and I'm almost positive Bowling Green is 4A (They have a little over 1,000 students). Yea, they have been a powerhouse every since the late 80's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky