Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 08:22 PM

19 posts, read 75,335 times

Advertisements

It is difficult to give a specific annual income for a lawn care business owner. Like most new ventures, the success of the business is dependent upon a number of factors, including invested time, money, and effort, along with geographic area, climate, population demographics, etc. However, there is definitely the potential to make anywhere from a reasonable part-time supplemental income to a full-fledged business revenue over $100K.

There are some helpful questions and answers at the following site you may want to check out:
http://www.startinglawncarebusiness.com/frequentlyaskedquestions.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2009, 05:29 AM

3,791 posts, read 8,900,152 times
The only problem is that everyone (it seems) that owns a mower thinks they can make money with it. Not sure about other area's, but the Jackson Purchase is saturated with lawncare businesses.

Old 11-09-2009, 06:38 AM

4,696 posts, read 7,893,838 times
Excellent answers from some of the posters. Have given rep for them.
Suggest you check this link for SCORE, look for a counsellor that specializes in what you need and write to them. They do online counselling and it's free(best part!!)
SCORE.org

Old 11-09-2009, 07:05 AM

969 posts, read 2,820,114 times
I ran a successful lawn care biz in Lexington ky back in the 1990's. I started it with a $99 push mower that I hauled in the back of my car. Here are some tips I wish I knew from the beginning.

1) Pick a small geographic area to work. You don't make any money driving across town. As you grow, you can expand into other parts of town.

2) Use good equipment. I liked Scag mowers and stihl products. Keep them in good condition. I have a back back blower that is 13 years old! Secure them so they dont get damaged in transport.

3) Don't go crazy with trucks. I always laughed at guys that would tow 1500 pounds of equipment with a 1 ton diesel truck!

4) If you can, focus on the high end work. I got to the point where rich people were so happy with me that they really didn't care what I charged. How did I get there? I did great work and was reliable. THAT is what will seperate you from the compitition. If it rains for 3 days, you call them to let them know you will be out as soon as possible.

5) You will pick up a lot of new customers in the summer. This is a business that is easy to get into. Lots of people get out of it in the summer. It is a great time to pick up customers.

6) Call all your customers at the beginning of each mowing season. You'd be surprised at how many customers I picked up that told me they didn't know if their last guy was coming. THey never thought to call, then he would show up too late and discover that I was now doing it.

7) Don't over load your spring. People will want spring clean ups, mulch, and mowing. It is hard to do it all at once. Try to get the mulch and clean up done the month before the grass starts to grow.

8) It is very hard to make any money doing leaves. I found people just weren't willing to pay the same rate that you can get per hour for mowing.

9) Don't eat up people's fence posts with the weedeater, blow off everything (don't forget under your truck), be sure to say hi to every customer and build in a few minutes to talk to them occasionally. People are more loyal to somebody that they like. If they like you, they won't be as tempted to use the guy who charges $2 less when he comes by.......and he will.

Basically, do a great job, make it easy to do business with you, bill on time, communicate, charge as much as you can and spend as little as possible, etc and you will be succesful.

9)

Old 07-17-2010, 12:08 AM

1 posts, read 5,592 times
you need customers that pay their bills on time. If you don't get paid every week or two then charge 1.5% interest on the unpaid balance. Otherwise your giving out interest free loans with no ending date.

Old 03-07-2011, 09:11 AM

1 posts, read 5,292 times
Default About a lawn care business

What you can earn from a lawn care business depends on how many hours you put in and the different lawn care services you offer.

Old 04-29-2011, 07:54 AM

1 posts, read 5,154 times
Are there any liability insurance requirements?

Old 03-05-2012, 11:13 PM

3 posts, read 46,488 times
Pricing is one of the hardest things to learn when you are just starting out. I've just finished putting together a detailed guide to pricing for lawn care businesses.

Seems that I can't post links here but if you go to StartaLawnMowingBusiness.com and then click on 'Lawn Care Pricing' in the menu you can access the four free articles that I have on the topic.

Old 06-19-2014, 10:05 PM

1 posts, read 2,304 times
My son is 14. Has been mowing lawns for 5 years and is doing well. (I think anyway) He has a 16ft tandem axle trailer. 48" Encore Hydro w/sulky. 42 inch rider, 33 inch mower, 2 - 22 inch push mowers, 3 string trimmers, stick edger, walk behind edger, lawn vacuum, troy built chipper/shredder, 2 back pack blowers. All he has done on his own with fliers and a facebook business page (it's free). I drive him around and he does the work. I have always told him to be successful do good work, charge a fair rate and make the customer THINK they are getting more than they paid for by doing really quality work. He watches craigslist all the time for equipment. Everything he has is from his earnings which has already topped last year. He expects to make around $7000 this summer. Not a lot for a business but he only works two days a week as I can only move him around on Sat and Sun as I work during the week. When he turns 16 in just under 2 years he plans on having 2 48 in mowers and a 60in ride-on as well as a truck to move himself around. He has to pay cash for everything or he doesn't get it. He has never asked for a loan. The truck will allow him to work more, to make more, to save more, for college. He wants a 4 year business degree. I sit in my truck some times 8 hours each Sat and Sun. Ill edge a little if I get bored, and I sit there gladly. He just loves mowing lawns.

Old 06-20-2014, 06:28 AM

638 posts, read 1,282,107 times
How wonderfully enterprising!! ^
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
View detailed profiles of: