Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2008, 12:01 PM

269 posts, read 808,988 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to get all my planning as precise as possible in my relocation plans. One of the last things that determines my moving is the employment. I'm planning to move to Cadiz in 2009.

Currently, I would consider myself a Mid-Level to Senior in Administrative/Clerical. Other than a couple small jobs when I was about 18, I've worked with the State of California in Administrative work since then. I'm now turning 27, so it's going on about 8 years of full time Administrative experience for me.

I wanted to know how easy or hard it would be for me to find a job in or around Cadiz. I know there are Federal jobs in Ft. Campbell, and there's also Hopkinsville a skip away. I'm not particular on whether it's a government job or not. As long as it pays the bills, I'm for it. How much need is there for Administrative/Office Managerial work in that area? I've got everything "office-type" down to a T from customer service to secretarial. At the moment I'm the secretary to the CEO of the State's Unemployment agency... So I do have advanced secretarial skills. Is there an adequate need in and around this employment sector?

And if so, I know I'll take a major paycut. Right now, I make about $40K. I heard it would be around $25K in that area... Does that sound just about right? Thanks for anyone with any info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2008, 03:27 PM

11,008 posts, read 17,380,502 times
The state penetentiary is about 20 miles away. I'd say that may be the best bet for a state job. Right before I retired from my state job Feb. 1, the governor put a hiring freeze in effect.
If you want to check job listings, go to Commonwealth of Kentucky . In the blue box on the left click on Employment. On that page, under resources, click on Kentucky's Job Bank. After it tells you you are leaving that website, it will take you to another one. Click on search for a job. Then click on quick search. In step 2, the Cadiz zip code is 42211. If you leave it within 25 miles, that will get you to Hopkinsville and almost Murray.
I checked it just now and there are 197 jobs. But that goes from working on a tobacco farm to truck driver to shift manager to who knows.

Old 03-05-2008, 04:40 PM

Thanks ky. I've been to that site, love it. Gives more than other sites. It's weird though. Depending on what website I search, I get a waaay large scale base for administrative jobs. I guess it depends on the company. Some places pay around $7-8, and I see some that pay close to $20, or more. If the latter were the case, I'd love it. lol. I just want to know what's more realistic... Can't seem to get a better range.

But to more reiterate the question I really need to ease my mind... will it be easy or hard for someone in this sector (admin/clerical) to find a job? I do see them, just not that many. I know I have the experience, but even with all the experience in the world, if no one's hiring for it, then it won't help...

Eh, I guess I'm just nervous... moving away from family. Big change. Just wanna make sure everything'll be ok.

Old 03-05-2008, 08:06 PM

Just read your letter to my wife. She said you would have better luck in the Hopkinsville area than around here. There is a new factory here in Cadiz, Benson International. They make the flat bed trailers and dump beds. They have been here for 2 years and have made Cadiz their national headquarters. Cadiz Record

www.bensonintl.com

Might check them out. You said your boyfriend is a contractor. Is he a welder too? This place hires welders.

Old 03-06-2008, 10:46 AM

Thanks so much kygman. Yes, my boyfriend has done welding in the past and I'm sure if given the chance he'll take a job welding. (It's just that his welding exp. isn't as extensive as most who are welders) A majority of his work experience goes to carpentry and roofing, almost 20 years. I believe he only has a year or a few in welding. I have read up on here though that carpentry and roofing definitely won't be a great way to go since there's no development in your area.

Yes, I'll definitely look into Hopkinsville (and Ft. Campbell) for employment. Thanks. But as far as living goes... You guys in Cadiz are definitely gonna have to keep me. haha. I wouldn't mind a commute outside of Cadiz, I'm used to it. But as far as living and lifestyle... I'm STUCK on Cadiz and those lakes. (You have to realize, if I could fish everyday here, I would... Just can't because I'm not close enough to the ocean and lakes!) And with the chaos I live with here in CA, I'd love the much smaller town on Cadiz over the surrounding larger areas anyday!

And please tell your wife thank you for the information.

Old 03-06-2008, 07:58 PM

39 posts, read 198,406 times
Some people are commuting from Cadiz to Murray every day. That opens up Murray State University as a possibility, also another hospital. The drive will get a lot better once they complete a proposed new road that will link Cadiz to Murray via Hwy 80, with new bridges and 4 lanes going across the Land Between the Lakes. It's still a bit of a drive though.

Old 03-07-2008, 10:16 AM

Thanks bmac... How long of a commute would you say it is from western parts of Cadiz to Murray? I do 45 minutes each morn and night here where I am... I think I'd be ok with that there too... Anything longer I may have to rethink. lol.

Old 03-07-2008, 06:09 PM

39 posts, read 198,406 times
Well, I live a little less than half way between Cadiz and Murray (Hardin area) and it takes me about 20 minutes to get to Murray. That's because Hwy 641 is 4-lane divided and you can cruise at 60 - 65 mph. From Hardin to Cadiz is 2lanes right now so figure another 30 minutes since some of Route 402 is posted at 45 mph through the Land Between the Lakes. It's pretty scenic and you cross bridges over Lake Barkley and Kentucky Lake. I'm guessing you'd be looking at about a 50 to 55 minute commute without risking getting a speeding ticket. It's my understanding that there are plans to make Rt. 68 4lanes all the way from Cadiz to Rt. 94 which will improve the trip a lot. Most maps show what is now called Rt. 402 as being Rt. 80 linking Cadiz with 641 at Hardin. The new Rt. 80 is a completely different road now, still under construction. It's very confusing and people get lost all the time. Regardless, figure a little less than an hour right now. Might be worth it for the right job in Murray. Jobs are not that easy to come by around here and lots of people commute to Paducah or Hopkinsville. You do what you gotta do.

Old 03-08-2008, 04:47 PM

slove and bm, you don't have to go to Hardin to get to Murray. When you get across the Eggner's Ferry Bridge (slove, that's the bridge over Kentucky Lake) you can either take 94 to Murray or take the new 80 to 641. 80 hits 641 about 2 or 3 miles north of town. From downtown Cadiz to Murray is about 35 miles. My wife drove it for quite a while several years ago when her dad was in the hospital there and said she was always looking at the mileage.
The way they are clearing all the land in the LBL for the new road and how fast they are getting the new bridge over the Trace built is amazing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky