Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 03:04 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,857,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
I am biased, but Louisville has just as much or more to do than Nashville, and doesn't have the price or hype. Also no traffic. There will be much less culture shock closer to Louisville than in rural or small town southern KY

The nicest small towns in the state IMO are closest to Louisville. These are also some of the wealthiest counties with the most transplants, and closer to the kind of shopping you are used to (hello, Costco!) You will not find even simple stores like Costco in rural KY!

Oldham COUNTY IS THE BEST SCHOOLS IN THE STATE

https://www.usnews.com/education/bes...tucky/rankings

No where else in the state is even close to the Oldham School district. That's why all of its high schools are tops in the state. Manual in Louisville is far and away the best public HS in the state, and its not even close!

You really need to look at Oldham County KY for this reason. Feels like a small town, but close enough to Louisville for culture, arts, and a date night on Bardstown Rd is much cooler than date night on Music Row....for some reason Nashville is known in CA but not Louisville. Not sure why!

CHeck out this cute little town built from ground up...

Norton Commons

Very pristine...nothing even CLOSE to this anywhere else in KY.

Anyways, come check out La Grange, Crestwood, Prospct KY. You may also like Shelbyville KY. And Bardstown KY got named nices small town in America.

Don't forget about Jeffersonville and New Albany IN. The pedestrian Bridge into Jeffersonville, IN is world class! Were this bridge in say, LA, it would be known internationally. Floyds Knobs, IN (20 mins to Louisville but feels small town/rural) school district is far and away better than any other school district in southern KY that you are looking at.

Peta, Peta, Peta....your reading comprehension has eluded you yet again. The good lady said, and I quote, "Just don't want to end up in some kind of liberal Kentucky stronghold". Now, we all know louieville is a pig with lipstick but, that's just the thing these good folks are attempting to escape from.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2017, 03:26 PM

406 posts, read 860,556 times
Two questions I would ask before answering.

1) What kind of family activities are you asking after- Outdoor, indoor or does it matter? There are some places in the Commonwealth that are better for outdoor and some are better for indoor.

2) How will your family be supported. Some kind of businesses are better suited for different locations in the Commonwealth depending on the availability of employment.

Thanks. I'll try to post a longer answer later on tonight.

Old 05-01-2017, 04:33 PM

266 posts, read 269,065 times
KY weather is overall pretty nice, especially the Bluegrass region. Summers can be humid at times (Everything compared to Ca. is humid :-). If you stay East of I65 the Tornado threat seems to drop, the Western KY area gets hit more often, but they can happen anywhere, Eastern KY is more rare due to the mountains. Lexington is a great area, you can easily live in Jessamine, Woodford, Anderson or Clark Counties and still enjoy what Lexington has to offer with a 20-30 minute drive. People in general are very friendly and more conservative than California. Someone mentioned Wilmore above, it is a nice little town, so is Danville, Versailles, Midway etc. If you go North of Georgetown you typically get more snow in the winter, but generally winter is pretty mild. Good Luck.

Old 05-01-2017, 09:55 PM

7,054 posts, read 16,635,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogsrus View Post
Peta, Peta, Peta....your reading comprehension has eluded you yet again. The good lady said, and I quote, "Just don't want to end up in some kind of liberal Kentucky stronghold". Now, we all know louieville is a pig with lipstick but, that's just the thing these good folks are attempting to escape from.

Oldham County is not liberal. At all. Its the best school district in the state.

Old 05-05-2017, 09:11 AM

4,108 posts, read 10,749,776 times
Interesting... I'm a conservative who relocated from Kentucky to California, and who finds myself enjoying California far more than I enjoy Kentucky.

Old 05-06-2017, 02:57 AM

12,998 posts, read 13,579,157 times
I don't know where in California you are, but let me throw my two cents in as a California expat. I was born and raised in the Los Angeles area, and I can see why you want to leave.

My recommendation is don't go too small. Bowling Green has 60,000 people. That's a pretty good size for Kentucky. If you don't settle there, consider the suburbs of Lousville or Lexington. I'm sure wherever you find will feel plenty small town, conservative, family friendly for you. Settling in a true small town might make you realize you're more Californian than you think. Convenient shopping and plentiful dining options within a reasonable driving distance count for a lot.

Old 05-06-2017, 09:28 AM

17,264 posts, read 11,091,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
Interesting... I'm a conservative who relocated from Kentucky to California, and who finds myself enjoying California far more than I enjoy Kentucky.
I'm glad you're enjoying California. It has a lot to offer. I think we see things from different perspectives regarding this issue. I think CA provides a different atmosphere and overall different way of living than middle America does. There are endless shopping malls, restaurants of all persuasions, the ocean, major league sports, and pretty much anything you want. The palm trees and wide boulevards are impressive not to mention the great climate in many parts and gorgeous topography.
Some of us have grown up with these things and no longer find them very impressive considering they come with a large price tag of overcrowding, and endless insane taxes that just keep coming. Personally, I'm tired of the rat race, the pro-illegal alien agenda, the overall very high cost of housing and the highest taxes in the country, not to mention looking at brown hills waiting for the next major brush fire to erupt.
When I visit Kentucky, it's like a breath of fresh air. I can breath again. The sky is blue, the hills are a beautiful emerald green and it rains. The rat race and liberal CA agenda is behind me. Life is good again.

Last edited by marino760; 05-06-2017 at 09:56 AM..

Old 02-21-2018, 12:42 PM

3 posts, read 3,519 times
I would add that I moved here from Tampa, FL 6 years ago with my wife and 2 kids. We love it here. We are relocating to another county because of a job. I have a dream place/potential mini-farm/hunter's lodge available. You really can live the conservative dream in southern KY. JWJ

Old 02-28-2018, 09:21 AM

13 posts, read 27,111 times
Hi!!!! I was born and raised in Santa Barbara, and like most Californians, thought everywhere else must be slightly terrifying or some sort of large compromise to make up for the cheaper cost of living. Well my husband and I have been out here for two years and I don’t even want to go visit CA. For refrence we are a couple in or 30s that work in medical and love to hike, ride horses, foodies, garden. Like you, we are conservative, and I watched far left liberal ideals destroy my hometown. I am always shocked at how sane and rational my coworkers political views are in comparison to most that I dealt with in California. I will say a Kentucky democrat seems to have views more in line with a center right leaning Republican in California. You can even have rational debates with them ����.

Ok away from politics. We are in Versailles, which we love. We bought 4 acres and a fixer house for 139,000. It was a steal for the area, but you can find them if you keep an eye out. I like Versailles because you have the small town and country feel, but you can pop into Lexington for anything else you need in 30 minutes. I would also highly recommend Berea. It sort of reminds me of petaluma ((norcal) or ojai (socal) before everything got outrageously expensive. Lots of little local shops and hiking, college town, art shops. If it was closer to our current workplace we would have moved down there.

Our neighbors are so friendly here! Ironically on this property our new neighors used to love one county down from us in Ventura. Lol! Anyways, they greated us with fresh cookies. When we first moved to KY itself we were in a smaller house in town which we got for a song and now rent out. This worked well for us as it gave us a chance to explore the area more and wait till another good deal popped up with acerage. The neighbors there were very friendly as well. One thing about KY that is different from CA is there are pockets of very nice areas and pockets or poorer areas and they will be nearby.

The weather and bugs are not nearly as extreme as anyone makes out. They really are on a similar level to Ca, people here are just talkers. From the way they talk You would think every summer is like living in Phoenix (which I have, hell on earth). You’d think every winter is Alaska. I laugh about it all the time. We had a couple days where snow stuck and stayed for a day or two . They are not bad. It also doesn’t get crazy windy like parts of CA. Like CA you get a couple weeks of heatwave. The nice thing here though is that you can go rent a boat and swim in the lakes! I love Cave Run Lake. Same with Lake Cumberland, and the cumberland river as well. Make sure you visit Red River Gorge as well.

Anyways, I hope you come out and enjoy KY. I LOVE it. I do listen to CA talk radio to laugh at the insanity out there. I have never regretted moving out here a single day. I will NEVER move back to CA. The most overrated state in the country. Sorry for any typos, I am on my phone.

Old 03-02-2018, 02:27 PM

20 posts, read 28,116 times
Hello! Another Conservative Californian here, who can't WAIT to move to Kentucky! I'm a young-ish Asian doctor who grew up in Los Angeles, currently living in the Bay Area, so you'd think I was a big liberal but I'm a big firearms enthusiast and California's gun laws are driving me nuts. Also, as a legal immigrant, the illegal alien crowd makes a mockery of all the hard work my parents put in to enter this country the right way. The housing market is also insane, even as a doctor I don't think I'd ever afford a decent house here.

My wife is from southeastern KY, she grew up in Manchester, KY but her folks (my in-laws) now live in London. I have to say that having grown up in urban CA I had some trepidation about being Asian in rural KY, but I have not experienced one ounce of discrimination there. I've had more racism thrown at me in CA honestly. Everyone in Appalachian SE Kentucky was super nice and didn't bat an eye. My big-framed Caucasian father-in-law took me to a shooting range in London (a gun range in rural KY, how much more redneck can you get?) and the staff were friendly, eager to help, didn't bat an eye.

Our plan is to try leave CA in summer of 2019. I have visited KY many times, and I especially loved Lexington. I love all the white wooden horse fences everywhere, what a clean and lovely city. However it's sometimes tougher to find a job in the big cities, in medicine it's opposite of most fields, it's easier to find a job in rural locations where most doctors don't want to be. I hope the OP found a nice place in KY to settle down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky