U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2018, 11:50 AM

23 posts, read 42,992 times

Advertisements

Very soon, my wife and I are moving home - to Kentucky. We, and our four children, left family and friends there almost thirty years ago so that I could best practice my chosen profession. It has been an...adventure.

Twenty-five years ago, Santa Barbara and points north (most especially San Francisco and the entirety of California wine country) were such wonderful places. Sadly, horribly, we witnessed a decline in most of those places, that was breathtaking in its speed. The natural AND the manmade beauty that was Santa Barbara has been covered by layers of political correctness, cost, and ever-increasing numbers of homeless beggars.

We no longer travel to San Francisco to purchase art, to enjoy Michael Tilson Thomas conduct or to relax with The Rhumba Bums at Biscuits and Blues on Mason St. (There is now an app to help San Franciscans avoid human waste on the sidewalks. Did you know that?!)

What is perhaps most frightening, is that this plague is often carried from California by the people fleeing those very problems. We have personally witnessed it in Nevada ( where we currently live ), Washington, Montana and Idaho.

So while we hope that you and your families find happy and fulfilling lives in Kentucky.... we also hope that you leave any and all traces of the California Plague behind.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2018, 06:38 PM

161 posts, read 154,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWJ73 View Post
I would add that I moved here from Tampa, FL 6 years ago with my wife and 2 kids. We love it here. We are relocating to another county because of a job. I have a dream place/potential mini-farm/hunter's lodge available. You really can live the conservative dream in southern KY. JWJ
The problem with that is, you're in southern Ky! I lived in Ky 50 years and I wouldn't move back there if someone gave me a house....lol

Old 05-05-2018, 05:37 AM

47 posts, read 33,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
Interesting... I'm a conservative who relocated from Kentucky to California, and who finds myself enjoying California far more than I enjoy Kentucky.
Them gun laws tho..........

Old 05-05-2018, 06:07 AM

47 posts, read 33,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
I am biased, but Louisville has just as much or more to do than Nashville, and doesn't have the price or hype. Also no traffic. There will be much less culture shock closer to Louisville than in rural or small town southern KY
Um.
No traffic issues in and around Louisville? Maybe if you're flying on a drone.
Price or hype? The housing market is insane and not cheap by any means. Its riddled with crime, police shootings, and poverty just like most other cities in the country.

I've lived in NYC for a good portion of my life, and right outside Boston too.
Louisville can only be compared to NY/NJ/MA/CA traffic. When we were house hunting in KY, we weren't even IN Louisville (just outside of it) and sat in hours of traffic, only because it was around 5pm.
I realized real quick that I want to be as far away from that mess as I could. Plus, Louisville has fallen victim to the most unattractive urban sprawl. Yuck.

We settled on Mercer county, I highly recommend!
But if you're looking for a more metropolitan feel? - Lexington is absolutely gorgeous, clean, and much nicer than Louisville.

Old 06-16-2018, 07:32 AM

9 posts, read 9,655 times
Hi Elizabeth,

I think you've make a rational decision that Cali is dying when I saw even the fake news reported : https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/19/cali...ing-state.html

The only way to save Cali is to establish a voter registration system and demand an independent agency to look after all voting days to ensure impartiality. Otherwise, Cali, though beautiful, will go rot. Friends in Hong Kong said similar things as they flee Hong Kong to other countries, not because Hong Kong is not good, but the place is dying.

Kentucky is probably one of my choice to move into. Cost of living is only on the average 58% of California. See :
Moderator cut: Link removed, competitor site
(I use Lexington as a comparison, inn some smaller towns, cost of living is much lower)

I preliminary look for good transportation infrastructure, potential in growth in jobs, county that has not been raising property taxes in recent years and a safe place. You can study Northern Kentucky as it is not far from Cincinnati, there are lots of job opportunities both in NKY side and Cincy side.

Two cents.

Last edited by CavalierKing; 06-20-2018 at 07:05 AM..

Old 07-16-2019, 10:01 PM

1 posts, read 210 times
Default Where did you settle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by californianomore View Post
Hello, everyone!
It's been a long-time coming but we are finally fed up with California. Saying we're "mad as hell and not going to take it anymore" would be an understatement. We are looking seriously a KY as our top contender but I have some questions. I visited Bowling Green about 10 years ago on a brief trip and remember loving the small town. I didn't get out and about much but research I have done lately seems to indicate that it has a lot going for it. I especially love its proximity to Nashville. It's hard to beat date night on Music Row. But as I research the state, I feel like I'm seeing more and more towns with SO much going for them. It just seems like we're going to need some help narrowing it down. Bowling Green is the only place in KY I've had the pleasure of visiting. So I'm hoping some of you can help me narrow down the long list of great places to live in your state and get a feel for where to live and where to avoid based on our list of priorities:

Conservative Values : We know that KY isn't the red state people tend to think it is. With a Dem in the capitol we know that we're not necessarily escaping the party that seems to bring havoc down on the state of CA all the time . But there's a reason we're not looking at moving to the red heart of Texas. It'sn not that we want to live in a Democrat-free zone, we we're just looking for a conservative area where our gun-toting republican values and pro-trump political stances aren't going to scare the neighbors. We value diversity, a healthy mix of opinions, etc. But ... let's face it ... it's nice to be among like-minded folks. Just don't want to end up in some kind of liberal Kentucky stronghold .

Small-Town Living: This is pretty straight forward but it's not as much about population as it is about atmosphere. If a town is big but feels small and has the right kind of friendly, down-home atmosphere it's all good. Just no big cities.

Education: We have a young son and would like a place with great education. Kentucky has a lot to be proud of in this area so we know this isn't a hard one to find.

Weather: We know that we are in for a big change moving from the mild temperatures of Northern CA to KY. We just don't want to live in the part of the state where Tornadoes are most likely to touch down OR where the summer heat is MOST oppressive. If it's anything like CA there are sunny places and cold places that only people who live in the state understand (I live in the cold, no-beach, 2-3 ft of snow every Christmas place in CA ... most people don't know my town exists).

Family-Friendly: We want to move to a spot with lots to do for families with kids. Since we plan on being a family with young kids for the foreseeable future, having a place with ongoing activities, points of interest and events for families without having to drive a long way away would be ideal.

Welcoming: California sucks when it comes to friendly neighbors . We'd like to move to a place that is going to be OK with the fact that we're from California and not place us on some invisible "untouchable" list. Especially since you won't be finding any "California PROUD" T-shirts in our wardrobes. We are basically refugees from this state and we'd like to find ourselves a place where we can start over, make friends, and become part of the Kentucky Crew without too much trouble. We think we'll fit in just fine but if there are any particularly outsider-phobic areas please let me know so I can put them on the no-list!

Thank you SO much for your help. I can't wait to get some feedback and start learning about potential new homes for our family! We'd like "dos" and "donts" here so if you know of a place we shouldn't move, please let me know just the same!

Elizabeth
Hi Californianomore! I was doing my own internet search to find a great town in Kentucky, and happened upon your post. I have almost exactly the same list, with maybe a couple of differences. We are looking for a very safe place, and also a place where there are a high percentage of Christian believers. I am wondering - did you move yet, and if so, what area did you choose? Are you happy with it? Anything you would like to share about other towns you like, things you love about the town you're in, and/or dislikes? TIA!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or