Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 07:31 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,168,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm1986 View Post
Let's see:

Tennessee doesn't tax retirement. It doesn't have an income tax.

Kentucky DOES tax retirement. It has a steep progressive income tax.

In Tennessee, you're closer to the growing metropolis of Nashville.

In Kentucky, your housing values and property taxes might be a bit cheaper (save for Bowling Green, which is still not that expensive,) but you'll be farther from a great city and top-notch healthcare.

In Tennessee, people are more likely to stop and just strike up a conversation with you. (I think TN is overrated in its friendliness factor, but it's still openly friendlier than 80% of the country.)

In Kentucky, the "random friendly stranger" thing isn't quite as common. It happens, but not quite like it does in the real South.

Tennessee has a thriving job market should you ever want to work part-time to keep from being bored.

Kentucky...uhhhhm, searching for jobs...oh yeah, there's a cashier position that just opened at the new Wal-Mart in Bowling Green.

Tennessee has your parents.

Kentucky does not have your parents.

Both states have natural beauty and clean air.

Both states have many dangerous curves and spots on I-65.

Both states are easily accessible by 50% of the nation's population.

I am a Kentuckian, but for the sake of practicality I would recommend Tennessee for you.

Maybe you should move to Tennessee. You don't sound like a very happy Kentuckian...lol. Generally, I would much rather live closer to Bowling Green than Nashville for everyday needs since it is so much easier to get around in. Also, IMO there is virtually no difference in the friendliness factor between southern Kentucky and Tennessee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2009, 09:32 AM

1 posts, read 2,250 times
Default Rental Homes in Franklin

My wife and I are getting ready to move to Franklin and build a home (we purchased property a few months back). However we need to rent a home while ours is being built. I'm having difficulties frinding rental properties in the area (hopefully some exist). Does anyone have any suggestions?

Old 06-13-2009, 09:41 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,168,703 times
Do you want to rent right in Franklin or would up the road closer to Bowling Green work for you?

Old 09-08-2014, 08:43 PM

1 posts, read 1,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
Let's see:

Tennessee doesn't tax retirement. It doesn't have an income tax.

Kentucky DOES tax retirement. It has a steep progressive income tax.

In Tennessee, you're closer to the growing metropolis of Nashville.

In Kentucky, your housing values and property taxes might be a bit cheaper (save for Bowling Green, which is still not that expensive,) but you'll be farther from a great city and top-notch healthcare.

In Tennessee, people are more likely to stop and just strike up a conversation with you. (I think TN is overrated in its friendliness factor, but it's still openly friendlier than 80% of the country.)

In Kentucky, the "random friendly stranger" thing isn't quite as common. It happens, but not quite like it does in the real South.

Tennessee has a thriving job market should you ever want to work part-time to keep from being bored.

Kentucky...uhhhhm, searching for jobs...oh yeah, there's a cashier position that just opened at the new Wal-Mart in Bowling Green.

Tennessee has your parents.

Kentucky does not have your parents.

Both states have natural beauty and clean air.

Both states have many dangerous curves and spots on I-65.

Both states are easily accessible by 50% of the nation's population.

I am a Kentuckian, but for the sake of practicality I would recommend Tennessee for you.
- There's a lot of good info here. I'm looking to relocate to the area myself. If TN doesn't tax income, they must be getting it from property and sales.(?)
-Certainly good info regarding Health Care-to be closer to Nashville (?)
-What about if you like cultural things, single and prefer to eat out?
-My new job is in Franklin, KY...and looking to find a place to rent temporarily (are there any good places vacant)?
-Which would you suggest (KY or TN) for temporary housing if you were me?

Old 09-12-2014, 01:02 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,247,569 times
Seems like a nice area down there as I've been through their many times and even stopped in and had a bite a few times in Franklin. Been down to Guthrie Kentucky, which I think is pretty close by to Franklin? no? It's kinda rolling, open country but sure looks nice, and it's relatively close to Nashville and Bowling Green. Seems like you have access to the best of both worlds there.

Ohh I just checked on the map, Guthries a ways over to the west a bit..

Old 03-31-2015, 12:15 PM

35 posts, read 85,723 times
Default Retirement taxes in Kentucky

According to the following web site, Kentucky is more tax friendly for retirees than Tennessee. Kentucky does not tax Social Security and most retirement income and sales taxes and other taxes are lower.

State-by-State Guide to Taxes on Retirees-Kiplinger
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky