U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 04:55 PM

3 posts, read 1,714 times

Advertisements

I'm traveling from NY to see it. Staying in Louisville since I can drive 2 hours south or 3 hours west that morning depending on the weather to reach the path of totality.

If Hopkinsville is going to be clear I'm probably leaning towards there, or Nashville should be cool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2017, 05:11 PM

348 posts, read 225,207 times
Traffic is going to be crazy. It will be heavy even this weekend as many festivals are going on before the eclipse but the worst will be from Monday morning to Tuesday Morning as people try to get as close to the center line as possible and as everyone starts to leave at about the same time. The Kentucky Department of Transportation states that I-24, I-65, I-69, The Natcher Parkway, and US 68 will be particularly troublesome.

Weather Wise:

The forecast calls for lower 90s temperature wise, but it will be very humid and that can make it feel like it is near 100F. It is very important that you have plenty of water on board and that you wear light colored clothing. If you are not from the South or Lower Midwest then the humidity will be something that will drive you crazy. Partly to mostly sunny skies seems to be the call for the KY portion of totality. There was talk of a slight storm chance and while one cannot be completed ruled out, the National Weather Service has removed rain chances for eclipse day.

Old 08-17-2017, 05:23 PM

8,099 posts, read 6,514,598 times
Best wishes for your dog.
News of the day:
BAD NEWS TONIGHT. Network news shows traffic backed up for miles already in Oregon. Says small towns are not equipped to deal with the crush. Millions of people on the way. Running out of solar viewers.

Old 08-17-2017, 09:52 PM

8,190 posts, read 13,686,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by typingsux View Post
I'm traveling from NY to see it. Staying in Louisville since I can drive 2 hours south or 3 hours west that morning depending on the weather to reach the path of totality.

If Hopkinsville is going to be clear I'm probably leaning towards there, or Nashville should be cool.
Typing, all I can say is good luck! Read one report from KYDOT that if cars are parked on the shoulder of the parkways or interstates in the affected area, the trooper's cars have those big bumpers that will push your car off the shoulder.
Do you have a place reserved in Louisville yet? If not, good luck with that too. I know it's not in the range of the total eclipse, but, with hotel rooms being reserved in the Hopkinsville. Cadiz and the lakes area being reserved at least 10 years go, I don't know if there will be many left there either. Plus, one hotel we know if has jacked their room rate from $65/night to $300/night. A restaurant in Eddyville is renting out their parking places for $15. The Murray State campus at Hopkinsville is renting out their parking lot at $50 per space.
We're spending Sunday night at my step daughter's in Cadiz, then taking a back road to Hopkinsville to another step daughter's early Monday morning. I have been told by someone with KYDOT that most 2 lane roads headed to Hopkinsville will probably be bumper to bumper. 100,000 people expected in Hoptown.

Old 08-17-2017, 10:30 PM

Hopkinsville prepares for massive influx of visitors for solar eclipse | WKRN News 2

Old 08-22-2017, 02:45 PM

8,363 posts, read 4,648,010 times
That was way cool!

Old 08-22-2017, 03:49 PM

11,004 posts, read 9,210,497 times
I opted to go to Cookeville, TN - spent the night before at Lake Cumberland and encountered very little traffic along the way south. More en route back north, but still nowhere as bad as predicted.

See my fuller account in the eclipse thread in "Weather". Great experience!

Old 08-22-2017, 04:14 PM

Neighbor's uncle came to Mayfield to watch with them and went home that afternoon. Said it took almost 3 hours to get through Henderson. The twin bridges over the Ohio River between Henderson and Evansville, In. are down to one lane, backing traffic up that far. Major intersections along the Pennyrile Parkway had some big tie ups too.
We waited about an hour and a half before driving back to Mayfield from Hopkinsville to let the traffic clear out a little. Didn't have any traffic slowing us down going home...well, except for that stop for an ice cream cone in Gracey.

Old 08-22-2017, 07:14 PM

13,250 posts, read 6,263,196 times
It turns out there's going to be another total eclipse in 2024 and once again, the most western part of KY will be in the field of totality. By then, God willing I'll be a Kentuckian and be there to see it.

Old 08-27-2017, 04:02 PM

7,333 posts, read 5,125,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
I opted to go to Cookeville, TN - spent the night before at Lake Cumberland and encountered very little traffic along the way south. More en route back north, but still nowhere as bad as predicted.

See my fuller account in the eclipse thread in "Weather". Great experience!
We did similar; we aimed for Crossville, TN, and had several backup plans mapped out if the traffic turned out to "worst case." As it happened, southbound 127 was almost completely clear, and we sailed down in record time.

We had so much time to spare, we pulled over and reconsidered our plan. We had elected to stay out of any real towns, because we though traffic might be bad getting out, so we were aiming at rural areas, parks, or small towns and such. We decided to head east on I-40 and see if we could find room at a freeway rest stop, but they were closed, so we kept going a few miles to the next exit, and as we pulled off, we saw a park. Headed right to it, set up the binoculars, and had a fantastic time. Had maybe an extra hours worth of traffic on the way back, but it was no big deal.

I never saw or experienced anything quite like that in my entire life, and we probably l never will again. We were so, so happy we went. It would have been more than worth it even had it been ten times the trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or