U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 07:18 AM

13,343 posts, read 6,354,860 times

Advertisements

I was planning a trip to western KY to see the eclipse and check out that part of the state. Unfortunately, I had to change plans because of my dog's failing health, and I won't leave him to travel anywhere now although I realize that might sound silly to some people.
I was going to stay in Madisonville since it's in the path of totality and it's centrally located in western KY for excursions to Owensboro, Paducah and a couple of other places I want to see and Madisonville seems like a nice town.
Is anyone planning to visit KY for the eclipse and if so, what town will you be staying in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2017, 08:55 AM

8,444 posts, read 4,696,871 times
I understand totally about your dog Marino. Prayers and hugs your way.
Will it be visible at all where you are?
It's only partially so here in Lexington, but not sure I will be able to travel to see the complete elipse.

Old 08-10-2017, 09:31 AM

It will be somewhat visible here but only about 1/3. No where near as exciting as western Kentucky where it will be totally dark for a couple minutes. Lexington will get about 78% so that's still pretty good.
https://www.vox.com/science-and-heal...nteractive-map

https://www.greatamericaneclipse.com/kentucky/

Thank you for the good wishes. Astro was diagnosed with a tumor on his liver. The least I can do for him is give him the same loyalty he's given me.

Old 08-10-2017, 10:26 AM

8,248 posts, read 13,743,672 times
I've talked with a friend of mine with the KYDOT about the traffic. We're going to watch the eclipse from my step daughter's in Hopkinsville. My wife wanted to wait and get up early Monday morning, wanting to sleep in our own bed because of ongoing back problems. Our alternative is to stay at my other step daughter's outside Cadiz and drive to Hoptown early Monday. According to my friend, the Kenlake State Park area, which includes the Egner's Ferry Bridge and Fenton, an abandoned air strip where people camp and fish on the LBL side, is expecting over 150,000. We would have to drive through this area from Mayfield to Hoptown. With that information, we're spending Sunday night in Cadiz.
All the hotels around Hopkinsville have been reserved for that weekend for at least 10 years. And $50-$75/night rooms are going for $350-$500/night and up. That includes Madisonville.

Hate to hear about Astro. Prayers from Mayfield.

Speaking of Mayfield, if you're checking out western Ky., we're just 20 miles from Paducah!

Old 08-10-2017, 02:39 PM

I do plan to visit Mayfield too. It'll probably be another year now before I can make it out there. I'll seriously start looking for a house to buy in 3 years and retiring in 4 years. Western KY is the only part of the state I haven't been to. The farthest west I've been is Mammoth Caves.
BTW, I recently learned Madisonville now has public transit. This is a huge plus to me as I won't be driving forever and won't need to live in a larger city.

Madisonville Transit

Old 08-10-2017, 05:40 PM

8,248 posts, read 13,743,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I do plan to visit Mayfield too. It'll probably be another year now before I can make it out there. I'll seriously start looking for a house to buy in 3 years and retiring in 4 years. Western KY is the only part of the state I haven't been to. The farthest west I've been is Mammoth Caves.
BTW, I recently learned Madisonville now has public transit. This is a huge plus to me as I won't be driving forever and won't need to live in a larger city.

Madisonville Transit
My son and DIL live in Madisonville. DIL said my 4 grandkids love riding on the bus instead of Mama taking them. lol
Mayfield, in the last few months, had 2 taxi services start up. Plus the Purchase Area Development District has a bus that will take you around town or to Paducah or Murray. Can't remember the price.

Old 08-10-2017, 06:18 PM

Thanks for the great information. Sorry for getting off topic regarding the eclipse, but I've been having a reality check lately about not moving to too small a town. As I'm getting older, a decent hospital in town and public transit will become a necessity. It's all about compromise. When I'm ready to buy a house, I want to have it narrowed down to one or two towns that meet my criteria so I'm not bouncing around all over the state driving realtors crazy.
I hope you enjoy the eclipse. I'm envious.

Old 08-11-2017, 04:50 AM

11,033 posts, read 9,268,420 times
If you're traveling to Kentucky - or Tennessee, or anywhere else, for that matter - to see the eclipse, be prepared. HUGE crowds are expected, and all aspects of travel will be impacted. So plan ahead. Take good maps with you - GPS is not always accurate - and look for alternate routes to and from your destination. Have a secondary destination in mind if you are planning a day trip.

Get your eclipse glasses now and make sure they're authorized and are safe. Practice using them - read the instructions thoroughly.

Get your car checked and fill up the tank - gas prices may skyrocket and stations in the area may run out. Take drinking water, prescription meds, maybe a few otc meds (ibuprofen, aspirin, upset stomach meds, etc), breakfast and picnic food (a cooler is a good idea), and toilet paper with you. Take more water than you think you'll need, just in case.
'

Last edited by CraigCreek; 08-11-2017 at 05:11 AM..

Old 08-14-2017, 07:45 AM

Here's an article from the New York Times regarding the Eclipse and small town rural Kentucky. I usually don't quote the NY times on anything but thought Kentuckians might find this an interesting read.
As many as half a million people are expected in Western KY
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/13/u...-kentucky.html

Old 08-14-2017, 09:41 AM

8,444 posts, read 4,696,871 times
There was also this great article about the Eclipse naming Hopkinsville one of the best places to view the Eclipse.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/10/t...astronomy.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or