Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2017, 11:22 AM

74 posts, read 99,620 times

Advertisements

Well,

If you are living there, or have lived there, could you please look on any of the apartment websites that show you everything available. I find that under 400 there ARE apartments and studios for rent. I can hardly think that anywhere in Murray can be so dangerous or seedy that rents can be that cheap.

So Im asking other than the ones that are explicitly for students, what say you about the other rentals?

I sure am looking for a city like Murray. 18k population, below average rents, low crime. Decent winter. And there sure is access to a whole lotta natural beauty with all the water.

So is it a good pick for retirement, on a shoestring budget?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2017, 05:29 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,537,039 times
I used to live in Murray, but that was in the late '70s. I believe if you contact the Chamber of Commerce they have rentals around Murray and probably some in Calloway County. One thing that might help a shoestring budget is there is plenty to do on campus for free or almost free.http://www.murraystate.edu/calendar/?d=2017-08-14 This probably won't show everything but you could walk over to the Curris Student Union Building or the Waterfield Library and check the bulletin boards or the Murray State News, the campus paper.
Do you like doing things outdoors? You're about 15 miles from Kentucky Lake, the largest man made lake, by acreage, east of the Mississippi River. Plenty of fishing, that will only cost the price of your fishing license, camping, hiking, and just a place to go relax and watch the boats go by.
Can't tell you much about which neighborhoods are good and not so good any more. I believe when you contact the Chamber, they may be able to give you some information on that. Murray is a nice town and, several years ago, was rated the best place in the US to retire. I'm in Mayfield, about 29 miles away.
Hope you come down and check things out and find what you're looking for.

http://www.murraystate.edu/
http://www.mymurray.com/

Last edited by kygman; 08-13-2017 at 05:32 PM.. Reason: My CRS kicked in and forgot something!

Old 08-14-2017, 08:07 AM

That was such a kind response thank you. I think Im coming to visit after the eclipse. But only if those rentals near $400 is safe and good. So I hope in these coming days someone will be able to say!

Old 08-14-2017, 08:34 AM

17,341 posts, read 11,274,075 times
Just to put in my 2 cents because I don't live there and haven't visited Western Kentucky yet, but there are other towns of about that size that are less expensive for housing and renting than Murray if you're retiring on a very limited income. Madisonville comes to mind, but I haven't been there as of yet. It has a lower crime rate than Murray, less expensive to live in and also has 700 acres of city parks with fishing and walking trails. I think the housing prices including rents are higher in Murray because so many retirees have moved there and prices have gone up accordingly. Murray looks like a beautiful town.
Research as much as you can online and compare towns and cities for crime, demographics, housing costs and all the rest. Also, google maps is your friend. You can virtually walk around and see almost any town to some extent without leaving your chair.
Hope this helps.

Old 08-14-2017, 09:37 AM

Thanks marino760. If you have any other towns, please PM me, Ill be very interested in research you have already done.

I see Madisonville has 20k pop crime 157.

I could only find one apartment building that has 1 br for 395, called Brentwood Jamestown Apartment. Doesnt appear any better as far as choices in rentals for me.

Old 08-14-2017, 09:31 PM

There's quite a few rentals here in Mayfield. Know a man who took over his dad's rental business when he died and totally restored all the old houses his dad rented out. Also, if you're wanting to be around the lakes, you might check Cadiz. Have to check with the realtors for a list of rentals.

Old 12-10-2017, 05:18 PM

29 posts, read 43,484 times
Default Lived there for 5 years

I lived in Murray for 5 years. The entire town is safe, there really aren't any "bad" or seedy areas. I found that it was one of the most expensive towns to live in in the area because of the college driving the prices up. The Chamber of Commerce publishes a rent list online for $3 that lists most of the local rentals. There are quite a few restaurants and fast food places due to the college as well.

Old 02-07-2018, 03:47 AM

2,245 posts, read 3,008,959 times
Murray's is going to have higher rents because there's a university there. College towns most always have higher rents than similarly sized towns in the same region.

Old 02-07-2018, 06:20 PM

Hey, Pnutty, did you ever make it to Murray? Said you were going to try to come after the eclipse. Just wondering how your visit went. Too bad we didn't have a chance to meet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky