Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2017, 12:02 PM

6 posts, read 7,957 times

Advertisements

Hi. We are a couple in their mid 40's, still have two kids at home and we currently live in Michigan. WE are looking to leave Michigan and find a more affordable, relaxing place to live. My husband works part time in retail, and on disability. He lived in Pineville for some time as a young boy and loved it. I'm not sure I would want that far south. I love mountains, trees, and a town that would accept transplants. If we rent I would not want to go over 850. A month, if we buy I'd like to stay below 80k.

If anyone could throw some areas out that would be greatly appreciative. We've been doing some research, however, I'd like to hear from actual people and their thoughts and opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2017, 01:54 PM

14,775 posts, read 8,109,336 times
Welcome to the Kentucky forum here at City Data.
Are your children still in school? Are you wanting to be close to the Mountains in Eastern Kentucky? Are you looking
for rural, small town or bigger city living? What line of work are you in? Do you have pets?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puy5hgZPuks

Old 08-13-2017, 05:13 PM

Hi, I thought I remembered the questions, lol. I have one in 11th and one in 7th grade of school. I would love to be in or close to the mountains, preferably eastern side of Kentucky. We do pets, but only dogs at this time. In the future we would like to have a few other animals, maybe goats, chicken but that would be down the road. Also, more rural living,
No big towns.nothing where your neighbors are on top of one another. My husband and daughter is in retail at the moment.

Old 08-13-2017, 06:02 PM

811 posts, read 889,202 times
Hello! I am not super familiar with Eastern Kentucky, but I think I can name some towns that may be of interest for your family to look into.

Frankfort, KY
This city is smallish and is the State Capital. There is a decent amount of retail stores on both sides of the town (it is divided by the Kentucky River East/West). Frankfort has decent public schools with choices between Frankfort Independent Schools or Franklin County Schools. There are a couple of private schools in Frankfort as well. Housing and rental housing are very affordable in Frankfort. Frankfort is also only 25 minutes to Lexington and about 1 hour from the Mountains via I-64 and the Mountain Parkway. Frankfort is full of transplants due to being the center of the Commonwealth government and I am transplant myself and have had no problems. People are very friendly in Frankfort. Even though Frankfort doesn't have Mountains, there are plenty of large hills and palisades near the Kentucky River and I find that Frankfort has a ton of public parks and hiking trails for a city of it's size.

Other areas I am less familiar with include Winchester, which is closer to the Mountains but also still relatively close to Lexington. Richmond, KY would be another option.

Old 08-13-2017, 06:32 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgIhGNyRIsg
Harlan Kentucky

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EI1d81vgq-Q

Old 08-13-2017, 06:35 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJqqF4qLr1g&t=126s

Old 08-14-2017, 10:27 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times
I have a lot of family that relocated from the county east of Pineville (Harlan) to Michigan, most live around Ann Arbor or SW Detroit suburbs like Taylor or Flat Rock. Lots of different places in KY. If you want the least amount of transition from MI (based on your description I assume it's metro Detroit) then I'd start looking in NKY or NE Louisville. If you want a bit more Southern culture but still have urban amenities then other parts of Louisville or Lexington or Bowling Green. For rural living there are lots of options.

Old 08-14-2017, 05:24 PM

Actually we are in the northern part of michigan. It's so expensive and everything keeps going up.

Old 08-14-2017, 05:31 PM

Actually we are in the northern part of michigan. It's so expensive and everything keeps going up.

Crazee Cat Lady.....thank you very much for the videos! Man, give me a house planted dead center of the first video and I'd be the happiest girl! Of course I know it's state land, and girl can dream right?

Old 08-16-2017, 05:12 AM

6,342 posts, read 11,089,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleandBrad View Post
The cost of living is rising everywhere. Inflation has something to do with it. Specifically what is expensive and what prices are rising? If we can ID these costs of living then perhaps you can find some areas in KY where these costs of living are static or not rising as quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky