U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Where to move to?
Eastern Kentucky 4 19.05%
Maine 12 57.14%
Other (note below) 5 23.81%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-20-2017, 09:06 AM
 
13,250 posts, read 6,263,196 times
Reputation: 24060

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix02 View Post
Am I missing something in my searches on trulia? Folks saying I can't get what I want, but if you search for a 3 bed or more house on 2 acres or more of land in Kentucky, exclude the mobiles, there is about a hundred or so listings all over the state. It seems like finding what I am looking for will not be too difficult. Am I wrong?

Also, as far as getting around the backwoods in Maine if we went that route, I actually planned for that- I was pretty serious about Maine before doubting the cost of living there and other issues. I bought a 2000 Ford Excursion, v10 4x4. This was to have the highest towing capacity of an SUV in order to move my shop on a trailer when we move, as well as having a good 4x4 truck to get around the back country in inclement weather. I'm sure it would come in handy in KY as well.
I don't think you're wrong. It just comes down to location and county. I've been doing searches on Trulia in KY for a couple of years to keep up on home prices and I see homes like you describe all the time. Many people wouldn't consider them because they might be old homes, too remote and need some work.
I think most people that are looking to move to KY want to live near a large city or suburb and want a relatively new manicured home at a decent price. You're not one of those.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-20-2017, 01:11 PM
 
Location: Living on the Coast in Oxnard CA
16,254 posts, read 28,121,492 times
Reputation: 21614
I just checked on homes around Lexington. Amazing is all I can say. We live in a 1,670 square foot home built in 1962 with 4 bedroom and 2 and a half bath. Two car attached garage on a 100'X60' lot. Our home in California is valued at over $500,000.

I found homes in Lexington for under $200,000. That is awesome. This thread has me looking. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2017, 01:28 PM
 
Location: Apple Valley, CA
66 posts, read 41,032 times
Reputation: 91
Seeing California RE prices, elsewhere in the country is astounding. If you have some good equity in Oxnard, you should be able to sell and buy most anywhere in KY for a song comparitively.

We are in Apple Valley, a low rent area of CA, but prices are still soaring. I bought at the bottom of the market- 3 bed, 1 bath, 2 car garage on 1/2 acre. $58k in 2009. We are up to $165k or so, which is still low for this market- median price around me is $245k. Newer houses with 2 baths, though. Anyway, we are looking to sell and buy in cash, which is why my budget is so small for a house and I am very focused on getting exactly what we need. The plan is for the next house to be our forever home, paid in cash, never to worry about a mortgage again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2017, 01:43 PM
 
13,250 posts, read 6,263,196 times
Reputation: 24060
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I just checked on homes around Lexington. Amazing is all I can say. We live in a 1,670 square foot home built in 1962 with 4 bedroom and 2 and a half bath. Two car attached garage on a 100'X60' lot. Our home in California is valued at over $500,000.

I found homes in Lexington for under $200,000. That is awesome. This thread has me looking. LOL
It's truly an eye opener. About 2 years ago I saw the most beautiful 5000 sq ft old Victorian with all the bells and whistles in a lovely town. The asking price was about $60,000 if I remember correctly. Yes, it needed some work but not that much. Even if you put in $100,000 into necessary repairs and upgrades to heating and air, and you love Victorians, you'd have your forever dream house and money to spare.
If you keep an open mind and especially love old houses, KY is a great place to look. Besides, overall the people in KY are very friendly and down to earth, much more so than what I'm used to living in CA. The Southern food at mom and pop restaurants is some of the best I've ever had anywhere, if you like that that as much as I do.

Last edited by marino760; 09-20-2017 at 01:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2017, 08:43 AM
 
Location: Living on the Coast in Oxnard CA
16,254 posts, read 28,121,492 times
Reputation: 21614
A couple families I grew up with left the ocean for Kentucky. Cashed out and have never looked back. The one couple sold a home in town for $600,000 and a condo at the beach for over $500,000 and purchased a place in Kentucky. I would have to check where they are living as I don't know the state that well. I do know that with the equity they had retirement was something that they jumped into.

As for my wife and I, we could pay cash for a place with the equity we have.

Phoenix02,

We bought in 2010 at what looked like the bottom. At the time I did not know if that was the bottom or not. Only one other house in our neighborhood sold for less than what we paid. Within months after that last home sold prices were heading above what we had paid. During the past 3 months we have had two homes on our street sell for over $500,000 and our real estate agent is telling us that our home could sell for $525,000 to $550,000 easy. Who knows. We do love our home.

Marino760,

Here in Oxnard there is a neighborhood of homes built somewhere around 1903. Some of them are Victorian and my wife and I love them. They sit on large lots as well, some on a third of an acre, which for this area is large. These homes, when they go on the market, hit into the $700,000 to over $1,000,000.00 range. Out of our range anyway. Your area sounds amazing. Would love to get my hands on an older home and restore it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2017, 10:13 AM
 
672 posts, read 685,593 times
Reputation: 1203
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
A couple families I grew up with left the ocean for Kentucky. Cashed out and have never looked back. The one couple sold a home in town for $600,000 and a condo at the beach for over $500,000 and purchased a place in Kentucky. I would have to check where they are living as I don't know the state that well. I do know that with the equity they had retirement was something that they jumped into.

As for my wife and I, we could pay cash for a place with the equity we have.

Phoenix02,

We bought in 2010 at what looked like the bottom. At the time I did not know if that was the bottom or not. Only one other house in our neighborhood sold for less than what we paid. Within months after that last home sold prices were heading above what we had paid. During the past 3 months we have had two homes on our street sell for over $500,000 and our real estate agent is telling us that our home could sell for $525,000 to $550,000 easy. Who knows. We do love our home.

Marino760,

Here in Oxnard there is a neighborhood of homes built somewhere around 1903. Some of them are Victorian and my wife and I love them. They sit on large lots as well, some on a third of an acre, which for this area is large. These homes, when they go on the market, hit into the $700,000 to over $1,000,000.00 range. Out of our range anyway. Your area sounds amazing. Would love to get my hands on an older home and restore it.
I'm just up the coast from you in Santa Barbara. My plan is the same in 5 years as your friends. Cash out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2017, 03:26 PM
 
2,326 posts, read 760,267 times
Reputation: 3271
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Almost forgot. Maine has Mud Season in many areas of the state during the early to mid Spring.
I live in Pittsburg NH about as far north you can go..{I maybe the northern most person in NH LOL }.Something to also think about it is dark in winter .You will be about as far east as you can go in the Eastern Time Zone ,Winter sunset about 4pm,sun is also lower on the horizon than Ken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2017, 04:12 PM
 
Location: IN
21,426 posts, read 37,655,045 times
Reputation: 13991
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben young View Post
I live in Pittsburg NH about as far north you can go..{I maybe the northern most person in NH LOL }.Something to also think about it is dark in winter .You will be about as far east as you can go in the Eastern Time Zone ,Winter sunset about 4pm,sun is also lower on the horizon than Ken.
I've been there before, nice area. Do you have a job in the local area, self-employed. or retired?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2017, 05:11 PM
 
2,326 posts, read 760,267 times
Reputation: 3271
I run a hunting fishing camp very near Third Conn. Lake. Winter snowmobile trails. We are at 2400 to 2500 feet and winter runs late October to early May, snow can come from second week of Oct to mid May .get around 200 inches of snow that stays on the ground November to May longer on the north side of the camp.
Funny thing I have had several writers stay a while and return for several weeks in the Winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2017, 05:39 PM
 
5,801 posts, read 9,447,844 times
Reputation: 2569
Northern lights in northern Maine were brilliant and lasted a long time. I used to see them in northern Connecticut too but they didn't last nearly as long since the area was further to the south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top