Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where to move to?
Eastern Kentucky 4 19.05%
Maine 12 57.14%
Other (note below) 5 23.81%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 09:52 AM

1,059 posts, read 1,881,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
for me, while beautiful Maine's winters, are just too cold...and long

Love Kentucky but not familiar with Lexington....Kentucky is a beautiful state, people are extremely hospitable, especially in certain areas....Western Kentucky would be my choice, near a small town, but not in one. However, I wouldn't want to live in Eastern Kentucky.

there are drugs all over the place, some more than others, but in the end, you have to feel safe and comfortable, so your own the right track with doing your homework.

Find places you would like to live and then call the police department and ask them the level of crime...in certain areas you've chosen.

You love Kentucky...not familiar with Lexington...but, on the other hand, you wouldn't want to live in Eastern Kentucky. How familiar are you with Eastern Kentucky? What do you "know" about Eastern Kentucky first hand? Or, are you just repeating what you've heard about Eastern Kentucky or painting us a picture of what's in your mind of what Eastern Kentucky is like? If you are just repeating what you heard about Eastern Kentucky without ever actually being there (more than just driving through) is just hear say. I've never been to Pittsburgh, for instance, what could I possibly say about Pittsburgh, good or bad, without ever being there. And, why would I even want to comment about Pittsburgh at all in the first place? You're not the first to make such statements, I've come to expect it. But, what puzzles me is, why.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2017, 04:47 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,537,039 times
I voted eastern Kentucky. I'm thinking of the snow. Of course I'm partial to western Kentucky, where I live, but I understand you're wanting a little more "hilly" land. But, like I've said before, there are 120 counties in the Commonwealth. Surely there's one out there for most people. All I know about Maine is what we watch on North Woods Law on Animal Planet. lol

Old 09-15-2017, 05:48 PM

17,342 posts, read 11,274,075 times
I haven't voted because I don't live there and don't want to be a hypocrite. I can say I've visited some parts of Eastern KY and liked it very much. The people I met were very friendly and the area itself is chock full of beauty.

Old 09-18-2017, 09:26 AM

35,066 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix02 View Post
Dhult,

Eastern TN was my first target. I lived there a couple years as a boy and fell in love with the place. But, I don't think it is to be. First, that area is turning quickly into a favorite destination for retirees, meaning property prices have quickly escalated out of my price range. Second, they have some homeschooling requirements I don't like all too much- Kentucky is much more free in that regard. But, if I could find what I wanted- house, not mobile or manufactured, with a good size garage or barn or even full basement for my shop, not in town but not too far from town, on at least 2 acres, for $80k or less, I would consider it, but those properties are few and far between. Most in that $80k range I have found need another $50k to be made habitable, which is not an option for me. At $80k, it has to be in good enough shape to move in, slap some paint on the walls and do any other work over time. I will only have max $80k to work with, so if the house needs work for my family to be able to live in it, I have to get it below that to absorb the cost of repairs and be under $80k.
What you are asking for is really not reasonable. Something is going to have to give.

First, most of east TN is not really a retirement destination. Yes, parts of the Smokies/Tellico Village are, but east TN as a whole is not really marketed as a retirement destination like FL or even western NC. There are some beautiful areas in eastern KY that do not get the attention they deserve IMO, but KY is far less likely to become a retirement destination than TN.

This is in Pennington Gap, VA - probably 45 minutes from the KY line. It is probably habitable but needs tons of work and has around 2.5 acres. I flipped through a few properties on the KY side and they generally looked more expensive than stuff in rural southwest VA. VA is going to be more liberal at the state level, but the local area is extremely conservative.

https://www.trulia.com/property/3208...n-Gap-VA-24277

There are some mobile homes I saw on the KY side with acreage that could likely fit the bill. You can find a house for $80,000 that's in decent shape but it won't have the land.

You or your wife need to come with a regular job. You said you're self-employed with the woodworking business, but the economy in most of eastern KY, especially the smaller towns, is very bad. I doubt there's going to be enough local demand to stay afloat. These aren't the types of areas that you can just roll into and get a job in a week.

Old 09-18-2017, 04:46 PM

26,406 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
I voted eastern Kentucky. I'm thinking of the snow. Of course I'm partial to western Kentucky, where I live, but I understand you're wanting a little more "hilly" land. But, like I've said before, there are 120 counties in the Commonwealth. Surely there's one out there for most people. All I know about Maine is what we watch on North Woods Law on Animal Planet. lol
Most of the population of Maine is within 50 miles of the coast, and from Portland, ME south.

Also, the "cold temperatures" in Maine are much overblown, and snow is cleared from roads quickly. If one lives in the rural areas off gravel and dirt roads the most popular vehicles are pickup trucks and subaru cars. The coldest temperatures that Maine receives are in the Great North Woods region of the state that consists of very few people, and is mostly woods roads, and parks.

I do like the northern portions of York County, ME. Quite rural there, hilly topography- and around 30-45 minutes removed from larger populations.

Old 09-19-2017, 02:24 AM

14,775 posts, read 8,103,690 times
I haven't voted in the poll, because I have never visited Maine, much less lived there...but it does look
awfully pretty in the photographs that I have seen. I have visited Eastern Kentucky (and yes it is Stunningly beautiful - arguably the most beautiful portion of the state), but have never lived there, so
I can't really say in comparison.
I think it would be fun to live in either place for awhile...if it were me, I would set asside the money for buying a
place for a few years, and rent what I wanted until I was sure that was exactly what I wanted...that way
no long term obligation, until you know for sure....and yes, I have seen Farms for rent before. (Theoretically, at least this way, you could even give both places a try, and see what you like best...but if
you found exactly what you were looking for, then you could take your money and settle in.)

And Welcome to the Kentucky forum here at City Data!

Old 09-19-2017, 05:13 PM

6,339 posts, read 11,084,820 times
Almost forgot. Maine has Mud Season in many areas of the state during the early to mid Spring.

Old 09-19-2017, 05:21 PM

26,406 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Almost forgot. Maine has Mud Season in many areas of the state during the early to mid Spring.
Correct. It makes driving on rural gravel and dirt roads much more difficult. I almost got stuck in mud one time driving on Straits road in New Hampton, NH after mud season was over in many other areas. It is just something you have to expect in that area of the country as many roads aren't paved or town maintained.

Old 09-19-2017, 05:50 PM

6,339 posts, read 11,084,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Correct. It makes driving on rural gravel and dirt roads much more difficult. I almost got stuck in mud one time driving on Straits road in New Hampton, NH after mud season was over in many other areas. It is just something you have to expect in that area of the country as many roads aren't paved or town maintained.
True. When I lived in Lincoln, Maine I remember the mud in my yard for a month. And that was also the case with all the dirt roads outside of town.

Old 09-20-2017, 12:51 AM

87 posts, read 79,278 times
Am I missing something in my searches on trulia? Folks saying I can't get what I want, but if you search for a 3 bed or more house on 2 acres or more of land in Kentucky, exclude the mobiles, there is about a hundred or so listings all over the state. It seems like finding what I am looking for will not be too difficult. Am I wrong?

Also, as far as getting around the backwoods in Maine if we went that route, I actually planned for that- I was pretty serious about Maine before doubting the cost of living there and other issues. I bought a 2000 Ford Excursion, v10 4x4. This was to have the highest towing capacity of an SUV in order to move my shop on a trailer when we move, as well as having a good 4x4 truck to get around the back country in inclement weather. I'm sure it would come in handy in KY as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky