U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 06:53 PM

10 posts, read 7,271 times

Advertisements

Previously. The wife and I were contemplating a move to Florida. Since then we have changed our minds. We do that sometimes. Anyway. The last few years we and our 3 kids have been living off grid in the mountains of South KY. We both are originally from central KY. It has been a real eye (and mind) opening experience that has brought us all together in many ways. The whole point of this experience. It has been a real success. Now, we have decided we have absorbed all that "nowhere" has to offer. So its time to move closer to the living again.

But since we both also agree that many parts of KY have little to offer other than its scenic quality. We are looking to get closer to an area that has alot more job opportunities with potentially high pay. Yet. Remain in a rural setting. At the moment we are wondering if Northern KY might be the trick. Placing us close to Cincinnati. Cold Spring, Alexandria, Burlington. Just to name a few examples of how close we want to be to "opportunity" while staying out of the city. Cost of living is probably higher. But I would like to think that income potential might be as well. We homeschool our kids. And I have been delegated as the stay at home parent for the past 10 years. During that time I earned a Bachelor degree and have a comprehensive background in IT. The wife was making such good money that she didn't want to quit. But because of burnout, she wants to come home for awhile while I head for work. And I don't see much opportunity (or appeal) in Lexington. Due to better cost of living, we had also contemplated the idea of going to Bowling Green region. But unsure what is there. I like running marathons, being a musician, and other "arts" and sciences and being involved with open minded people. No offense. But im sick of gun toting rednecks.

Any insight?

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2017, 03:57 PM

586 posts, read 429,118 times
I think that Northern Kentucky would suit your needs in a place to live quite well. I lived in Florence for 1 year and enjoyed it very much, in fact if the right job came along, I may consider moving back up there myself. I enjoyed NKY's close proximity to Cincinnati, usually no more than a 15-20 minute drive up I-75/71 during non rush hour times. Florence, Burlington, Independence, Highland Heights all have the basic stores, restaurants and amenities while still having a suburban lifestyle and being close to Cinci. The job market is also very strong with the airport, Amazon and many businesses in Cincinnati. Cincinnati also has a strong arts scene with the Cincinnati Museum.

I would stay away from Lexington as the job market is poor and the city lacks a lot of amenities compared to NKY and even Louisville. I would also suggest Louisville.

Old 09-18-2017, 07:51 PM

16,401 posts, read 11,963,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KY_Transplant View Post
I think that Northern Kentucky would suit your needs in a place to live quite well. I lived in Florence for 1 year and enjoyed it very much, in fact if the right job came along, I may consider moving back up there myself. I enjoyed NKY's close proximity to Cincinnati, usually no more than a 15-20 minute drive up I-75/71 during non rush hour times. Florence, Burlington, Independence, Highland Heights all have the basic stores, restaurants and amenities while still having a suburban lifestyle and being close to Cinci. The job market is also very strong with the airport, Amazon and many businesses in Cincinnati. Cincinnati also has a strong arts scene with the Cincinnati Museum.

I would stay away from Lexington as the job market is poor and the city lacks a lot of amenities compared to NKY and even Louisville. I would also suggest Louisville.
Unemployment rates from the latest Bureau of Labor Statistics (April 2017):
Lexington, Ky - 3.6%
Louisville, Ky - 4.4%
Kentucky - 5.1%
Cincinnati, Oh - 4.0%
*According to the latest state statistics, as of July 2017 it did raise 0.2%, but it is still the lowest in the area by about the same level.
Whether you like Lexington or not, claiming it has a poor job market when comparing it to other area locations is disingenuous, at best. Lexington has always had a lower than average unemployment rate compared to the rest of the area and compared to other cities of it's size nationwide. Not that it matters in this case, as it is an area the OP has already eliminated it for consideration, but it would be better not to spread misinformation.

Hate to break it to you, OP, but Florence, Cold Spring, and Alexandria all have their fair share of gun toting rednecks. I have seen Confederate flags displayed various places in both Cold Spring and Alexandria. Once you step South beyond the Wilder/Fort Thomas area the Cincinnati influence starts quickly waning. Newport and Covington are more like Cincinnati, but they do have other issues to go along with it. Plus, to get to that music, art, science, and marathons you will need to cross the river into the Ohio part of the greater Cincinnati area. Yes, the cost-of-living is higher than you are probably experiencing in Southern Kentucky.

Bowling Green will also have a fair number of gun toting rednecks and Nashville will require a commute to the amenities you are asking about. Honestly, based on what you are describing, Louisville is the closest to meet that description.

Old 09-19-2017, 09:37 AM

923 posts, read 1,386,002 times
Gun totin Rednecks? Now, that's not too politically correct. I would be offended, if, I owned a gun.

Old 09-19-2017, 02:09 PM

8,679 posts, read 4,789,885 times
Gun totin' Rednecks, lol. You do know that Gun toting Rednecks hate to be called Gun totin' Rednecks, right? Reminds me of something I saw online recently....

Anyways, some people when they see people in Kentucky might think of them as Hillbillies or Rednecks,
but you know some people see the same people and think of them as Down to Earth, Good Old Fashioned
folks...there is not a lot of pretension with most people here...you kind of get what you see. It's honest,
and real..and I'll take that any day over some of the alternatives! Just sayin'!

Old 09-19-2017, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
Gun totin' Rednecks, lol. You do know that Gun toting Rednecks hate to be called Gun totin' Rednecks, right? Reminds me of something I saw online recently....

Anyways, some people when they see people in Kentucky might think of them as Hillbillies or Rednecks,
but you know some people see the same people and think of them as Down to Earth, Good Old Fashioned
folks...there is not a lot of pretension with most people here...you kind of get what you see. It's honest,
and real..and I'll take that any day over some of the alternatives! Just sayin'!
And, them old Hillbilly...Rednecks will be the first to give ye a hand if'n ye need it to.

A for me, I'm an Appalachian American. Unlike some folks, I'm proud of it.

Old 09-19-2017, 05:55 PM

5,801 posts, read 9,513,549 times
There are plenty of rednecks that don't carry guns and vote Democrat. I've run into quit a few of them in recent years in some places where I've lived. And they were not in KY.

Old 09-19-2017, 06:16 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,357,720 times
Northern Kentucky does not have many redneck/hilbilly towns. You have to go farther east and south for that.

Old 09-19-2017, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
There are plenty of rednecks that don't carry guns and vote Democrat. I've run into quit a few of them in recent years in some places where I've lived. And they were not in KY.

Ya but, they are out numbered.

Old 09-19-2017, 06:27 PM

586 posts, read 429,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Unemployment rates from the latest Bureau of Labor Statistics (April 2017):
Lexington, Ky - 3.6%
Louisville, Ky - 4.4%
Kentucky - 5.1%
Cincinnati, Oh - 4.0%
*According to the latest state statistics, as of July 2017 it did raise 0.2%, but it is still the lowest in the area by about the same level.
Whether you like Lexington or not, claiming it has a poor job market when comparing it to other area locations is disingenuous, at best. Lexington has always had a lower than average unemployment rate compared to the rest of the area and compared to other cities of it's size nationwide. Not that it matters in this case, as it is an area the OP has already eliminated it for consideration, but it would be better not to spread misinformation.

Hate to break it to you, OP, but Florence, Cold Spring, and Alexandria all have their fair share of gun toting rednecks. I have seen Confederate flags displayed various places in both Cold Spring and Alexandria. Once you step South beyond the Wilder/Fort Thomas area the Cincinnati influence starts quickly waning. Newport and Covington are more like Cincinnati, but they do have other issues to go along with it. Plus, to get to that music, art, science, and marathons you will need to cross the river into the Ohio part of the greater Cincinnati area. Yes, the cost-of-living is higher than you are probably experiencing in Southern Kentucky.

Bowling Green will also have a fair number of gun toting rednecks and Nashville will require a commute to the amenities you are asking about. Honestly, based on what you are describing, Louisville is the closest to meet that description.
Don't take it personal. I am not spreading mis-information. Lexington is a small city and has less jobs to go around compared to NKY and Louisville. Anecdotally, one can go onto Indeed.com and see the actual number of entry level, basic jobs one can find on a search, to be far less when compared to it's neighbors to the West and North. If someone was looking for a strong, healthy job market, I would not recommend Lexington, KY when there are better options in Cincinnati and Louisville.

OP, I have hardly noticed any gun-toting rednecks in NKY. NKY is pretty much just an extension of Ohio. Most NKY residents consider themselves Cincinnatans first, Kentuckians second and some residents don't want to be associated with Kentucky at all, other than the fact their license plate says Kentucky. NKY is a influential area of the State and it is a direct result of being in proximity to Cincinnati, a major American city with Fortune 500 companies and a strong economy. I would pick Cincinnati/NKY first, then Louisville, then Bowling Green and finally Lexington, if I were looking for the things you listed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or