U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2017, 05:37 PM

5,801 posts, read 9,449,444 times

Advertisements

First, wanted to find out what everyone thinks about the 30 billion dollar shortfall in the pension system for the state? Since I am new here I am wondering how this can be fixed without our taxes being raised significantly.

Moderator cut: Separated thread due to two distinct, unrelated topics: //www.city-data.com/forum/kentu...wards-nky.html

Last edited by Oldhag1; 11-02-2017 at 05:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2017, 10:01 PM

8,194 posts, read 13,688,653 times
I can add an opinion on the pension system. I'm retired from the state after 26 years. You get full retirement after 27 but I could buy a year from my little deferred comp I had saved up. After 20 years, you automatically have hospitalization insurance for life. I keep reading that all of us already retired have nothing to worry about. But we do! One suggestion is to make us start paying part of our insurance. If the state, in all these years, had kept up with their obligations to the retirement system there wouldn't be a problem. But a lot of the payments to be made were rerouted to other "obligations". I'm glad I'm already retired instead of still working and not knowing if I'm going to have a retirement

Old 10-31-2017, 11:08 PM

8,365 posts, read 4,650,590 times
The Retirement thing with the state is a Mess. I hope they can work something out.
I don't want to pay higher taxes but I do think they deserve their retirement. I don't think they will raise taxes right now. The Governor has said that he wants to do away with state
taxes altogether...whether he will be able to get this done or not, remains to be seen.

Moderator cut: Separated thread due to two distinct, unrelated topics: //www.city-data.com/forum/kentu...wards-nky.html

Old 11-01-2017, 05:29 AM

Thanks for the feedback kygman. I did recently hear that the Gov. wants to have the State employees pay 3 percent of their income towards funding of the Pension system. Will see if that plays out.

Old 11-01-2017, 11:41 AM

26,322 posts, read 11,667,976 times
Kentucky is not alone. Many states, and municipalities are even in worse shape with regards to public pensions. It is a huge problem. It is easier for politicians to kick the can down the road, and give into union demands than have work stoppages, etc.

Old 11-01-2017, 03:15 PM

3,438 posts, read 2,359,274 times
and to think that CA get a lot of brickbats for its debts. who knew that red states are also wallowing in debts?

Old 11-01-2017, 05:43 PM

4,656 posts, read 4,106,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Kentucky is not alone. Many states, and municipalities are even in worse shape with regards to public pensions. It is a huge problem. It is easier for politicians to kick the can down the road, and give into union demands than have work stoppages, etc.
There is no consolation other than the truth that there are truly more states and municipalities in worse shape. Two and three tier pension plans are now the norm...across the board, more like pyramid schemes.

My Two Big Bets on the Pension Crisis
by Nick Giambruno, Senior Editor

Public pensions are a financial time bomb… and I see two ways to profit from the explosion.
In the US, unfunded public pension liabilities have surpassed*$5 trillion. And that’s*during*an epic stock and bond market bubble.

My Two Big Bets on the Pension Crisis | International Man

Old 11-01-2017, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
There is no consolation other than the truth that there are truly more states and municipalities in worse shape. Two and three tier pension plans are now the norm...across the board, more like pyramid schemes.

My Two Big Bets on the Pension Crisis
by Nick Giambruno, Senior Editor

Public pensions are a financial time bomb… and I see two ways to profit from the explosion.
In the US, unfunded public pension liabilities have surpassed*$5 trillion. And that’s*during*an epic stock and bond market bubble.

My Two Big Bets on the Pension Crisis | International Man
The reason I was interested is that several states such as Illinois, Connecticut and California are in bad fiscal shape. Hoping that KY will not end up in the same boat. 30 billion is a lot of money for a state like KY which is not heavily populated.

Old 11-01-2017, 06:55 PM

4,656 posts, read 4,106,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
The reason I was interested is that several states such as Illinois, Connecticut and California are in bad fiscal shape. Hoping that KY will not end up in the same boat. 30 billion is a lot of money for a state like KY which is not heavily populated.
You're right to be interested as well as concerned on both counts. Illinois has been 'kicking the can down the road' for many years now and the taxpayers simply cannot endure increasing taxes on everything from property taxes, new taxes (the recent soda tax) and whatever else those in power may enact.

Also, I want to apologize if it appears I am hijacking the thread as that is not my intention whatsoever. But as has been pointed out already the pension crisis is a nationwide dilemma.

Monday, October 06, 2014
836 DuPage County Teacher Pensions in the top 6.6% National Income Level

“Although ill-conceived from the beginning, government pensions were never supposed to make multi-millionaires out of retired ‘civil-servants’.”

836 DuPage County Teacher Pensions in the top 6.6% National Income Level - Illinois Review

Old 11-05-2017, 05:37 AM

2,190 posts, read 1,753,791 times
https://kypensioncrisis.com/2016/02/06/49th/#more-86
Kentucky is ranked 49th out of 50 states on pension funding levels. Illinois is ranked 50th or last of all 50 states on pension funding levels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or