Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2017, 05:37 PM

6,342 posts, read 11,089,409 times

Advertisements

Moderator cut: Separated thread due to two distinct topics: Kentucky State Employee Pension Issues

Second, I am detecting some serious animosity on the Cincinnati board from some of the people on the OH side when it comes to KY. Not sure what to make of it. I can tell their political leanings are far to the left of mine and that they like to "project" what they think my views are onto others regarding Cincinnati and KY. My view that Cincinnati's City Hall is a tax and spend nightmare has morphed into "you are bashing the city and hate it and should not even talk about it since you live in KY". Had one idiot tell me I should sell my house and move out of NKY.

Dunno what to think. When I post on other boards including the Connecticut board which is my old home state, people usually are able to have a civilized and rational give and take even if they are on opposite sides of the social and political spectrum. The only other time I have encountered the hostility that I am now seeing on the Cincinnati board concerning my apparently concern about the tax and spend policies was on the Indianapolis board. Very thin skinned people. If you don't march in lock step with their every view, they vilify you and try to run you out or off. Was that way when I lived there. At least I don't have people in NKY trying to run me out of town.

What gives? is there something going on between OH, IN and KY that I need to know about in terms of how each state relates to its neighbors?

Last edited by Oldhag1; 11-02-2017 at 09:12 PM.. Reason: Separated thread due to two distinct, unrelated topics
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2017, 11:08 PM

14,775 posts, read 8,109,336 times
Moderator cut: Separated thread due to two distinct topics: Kentucky State Employee Pension Issues

So there is animosity toward Kentucky in the Cinny Ohio thread. Interesting...I'll have to check it out when I have more time.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 11-02-2017 at 09:12 PM..

Old 11-01-2017, 12:17 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,744,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post

Second, I am detecting some serious animosity on the Cincinnati board from some of the people on the OH side when it comes to KY. Not sure what to make of it. I can tell their political leanings are far to the left of mine and that they like to "project" what they think my views are onto others regarding Cincinnati and KY. My view that Cincinnati's City Hall is a tax and spend nightmare has morphed into "you are bashing the city and hate it and should not even talk about it since you live in KY". Had one idiot tell me I should sell my house and move out of NKY.

Dunno what to think. When I post on other boards including the Connecticut board which is my old home state, people usually are able to have a civilized and rational give and take even if they are on opposite sides of the social and political spectrum. The only other time I have encountered the hostility that I am now seeing on the Cincinnati board concerning my apparently concern about the tax and spend policies was on the Indianapolis board. Very thin skinned people. If you don't march in lock step with their every view, they vilify you and try to run you out or off. Was that way when I lived there. At least I don't have people in NKY trying to run me out of town.

What gives? is there something going on between OH, IN and KY that I need to know about in terms of how each state relates to its neighbors?

Cincinnati is very old and demographically stagnant. The metro area is only growing because of exurbs, of which NKY is a major role. Essentially its population growth trails every single city its connected to, and its residents resent it. They do things the Cincinnati way and that's it. They view themselves as a "big city" and culturally superior to KY. The fact is, in many ways they are inferior. Without NKY, Cincinnati doesn't have an aquarium, a major airport, and many big employers. In fact, without NKY, Cincinnati is about the size of Louisville metro, but they think they are a big city compared to Louisville. I find it all laughable.

I was up there on business recently (I go regularly), and as much as I like the architecture, I am not a fan of the place due to people like you described.

It's a nice city, very similar to Louisville in many regards, but much more insular, less construction, and slower population growth. But tell that to Ohio folks and it will be an armageddon.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 11-02-2017 at 04:53 AM.. Reason: Edited quote

Old 11-01-2017, 05:29 AM

CCL. Yes, there are a few real lunatics posting on the Cincinnati board and I've noted a anti KY tone from them. The majority on the board are not like this but several are.

Peter. Nice post here and also on the Cincy board. I don't think NKY is such a bad place to live. And you are right about the growth here being a positive driving force that extends over to the OH despite what the naysayers say. Seeing the projecting by some of those people regarding my views and personal life is troubling. Have had to deal with the same thing in Indianapolis.

My older sister lived in Louisville for several years and still speaks favorably about the place. I've had several people recommend it to me and thought I would be OK there. Will be considering it if I run into major problems with NKY. So far the trouble has been minimal.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 11-02-2017 at 09:13 PM..

Old 11-01-2017, 06:17 AM

Glad I bought a home in KY and not in Cincinnati.

Old 11-01-2017, 10:03 AM

811 posts, read 888,897 times
What I have noticed about Cincinnati is that it is a very provincial and insular city. I have heard absurd comments from Cincinnati natives during my time living there. A lot of these comments were about how Cinci is the greatest city in the United States and Cleveland, Columbus are nothing, and don't even get me started on what they say about Kentucky. Living in the Cincinnati/NKY area for a year, was the longest year of my life. I have been very happy in Louisville and do not experience the issues with people like you describe in Cincinnati. Major inferiority complex going on there.

Old 11-01-2017, 11:38 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,542,940 times
WILW, When I lived in Sturgis and, for a while, Henderson, I learned a lot of Hoosier jokes. Evansville is the place to go for concerts, malls for shopping, and good places to eat.
You know what you call pretty women in Indiana?
Tourists!
A couple Hoosiers decided to take a Sunday drive over to Henderson and look around. After they got off the bridge they saw a sign that said "Henderson, left". So they turned around and went home.

Old 11-01-2017, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
WILW, When I lived in Sturgis and, for a while, Henderson, I learned a lot of Hoosier jokes. Evansville is the place to go for concerts, malls for shopping, and good places to eat.
You know what you call pretty women in Indiana?
Tourists!
A couple Hoosiers decided to take a Sunday drive over to Henderson and look around. After they got off the bridge they saw a sign that said "Henderson, left". So they turned around and went home.
Every state is the butt of jokes from other states. In MO and KS I'd hear them from both sides and then also from MO towards AR. Back in New England people poke fun at NY and MA at times though it is not nearly as nasty as what I see from the people in OH in regards to KY.

I have to admit I have never found most of the women in IN all the attractive, even the one's that would be considered attractive. Find some of the Millenia women in MO and KS more appealing both in appearance and to some degree, their behavior and personalities. I was able to converse more freely with them and actually have intelligent conversations at times. Women in IN are a little too much like the Frau Linkmaier character on Hogan's Heroes. Not sure about KY since I am never out doing anything. I work in Indy and am gone from 9 AM until about 11 PM at night on average and work most Saturday's. My day off I take it easy and get ready to work for the week and do work at home. May have a social life here at some point if I change jobs or have a change in my job assignment with my current employer in Indy. Right now though not even something I am considering.

Old 11-01-2017, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KY_Transplant View Post
What I have noticed about Cincinnati is that it is a very provincial and insular city. I have heard absurd comments from Cincinnati natives during my time living there. A lot of these comments were about how Cinci is the greatest city in the United States and Cleveland, Columbus are nothing, and don't even get me started on what they say about Kentucky. Living in the Cincinnati/NKY area for a year, was the longest year of my life. I have been very happy in Louisville and do not experience the issues with people like you describe in Cincinnati. Major inferiority complex going on there.

I also saw this in KC and I recall a few years back a younger lady telling me that was the case there in KC after I told her I was from Connecticut. People have a inferiority complex. I have to admit though the KC attitude is not nearly as bad as the one I've found in Indy. They have such a superior and elitist attitude that it is really an extension of a larger Inferiority Complex due to the fact that for so long it was considered Naptown or Indananoplace and had no real appeal to anyone outside the state. Now that they've had some success with sports and have built a better downtown in Indy, people are suddenly getting this superior attitude. I have a major problem with people that quite frankly treat me like I am a zit when in reality, they are not really even close to being from the same kind of background as I. I have more respect for people that are real and know who and what they are and don't put on pretentious airs. KC had that to a degree but Indy is much worse. Will hope I don't get too much of this in Cincy otherwise I will stick to the KY side when possible.

Old 11-02-2017, 05:29 PM

389 posts, read 330,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post

Second, I am detecting some serious animosity on the Cincinnati board from some of the people on the OH side when it comes to KY. Not sure what to make of it.

It's political in that it crosses the state line. Just look at how the 3-Cs go at each other and they are even in the same state. NKY long ago surpassed the city in population and growth and I'm sure that does not set well with some people. Too bad for them. The clock's not turning back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky