U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 07:35 AM

89 posts, read 75,936 times

Advertisements

We arrived a few days ago at LEX Airport, rented a car, and began to drive south just as it was turning dark. We headed for Cookeville TN, planned to stay overnight and see 2 properties, then head back to LEX via London and Jeffersonville, looking at properties along the way..

Our trip through Kentucky at night was an adventure, not always a fun one. There were not many street lights at all nor were there many cars, thankfully. Seems like it was pitch black most of the time. Our GPS took us through some really narrow, county roads, that had my wife pretty frightened. Once or twice a pickup truck came up behind us and tailgated us unmercifully--we were not purposelessly slow, but did not know the area at all, so I guess we were slow to the drivers of those pickups!. We stopped at a Krogers for some food, and had a very strange experience. My wife and I received more than a few stares from the people in the store. She is Filipino and I am white American. It's a little bit oppressive to be stared at so, and I felt badly for my wife, but maybe I was oversensitive. The worse was when two lades--the checker and bagger, booked at my wife and I, and they began to smiled back and forth to each other, sharing a private amusement, and as we walked away, they began to laugh openly. I felt we were being made fun of, but I may be wrong, maybe I am thinking badly of people for no reason. Both m wife and I spoke about it as were were driving south, and we prayed to the Lord, forgiving every one for any rudeness, and asking forgiveness for ourselves for our evil thoughts, which may be unwarranted.

We finally made it to Cookeville, TN, and the next day, we saw just the property we wanted, so we made an offer on it and it was accepted. So even though we researched so much about Kentucky, we would up buying in Tennessee. Our thanks to all who helped us with their comments and directions, and may the Lord bless the States of Kentucky and Tennessee, and all the people of the United States.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2018, 09:25 AM

912 posts, read 1,360,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rod5591 View Post
We arrived a few days ago at LEX Airport, rented a car, and began to drive south just as it was turning dark. We headed for Cookeville TN, planned to stay overnight and see 2 properties, then head back to LEX via London and Jeffersonville, looking at properties along the way..

Our trip through Kentucky at night was an adventure, not always a fun one. There were not many street lights at all nor were there many cars, thankfully. Seems like it was pitch black most of the time. Our GPS took us through some really narrow, county roads, that had my wife pretty frightened. Once or twice a pickup truck came up behind us and tailgated us unmercifully--we were not purposelessly slow, but did not know the area at all, so I guess we were slow to the drivers of those pickups!. We stopped at a Krogers for some food, and had a very strange experience. My wife and I received more than a few stares from the people in the store. She is Filipino and I am white American. It's a little bit oppressive to be stared at so, and I felt badly for my wife, but maybe I was oversensitive. The worse was when two lades--the checker and bagger, booked at my wife and I, and they began to smiled back and forth to each other, sharing a private amusement, and as we walked away, they began to laugh openly. I felt we were being made fun of, but I may be wrong, maybe I am thinking badly of people for no reason. Both m wife and I spoke about it as were were driving south, and we prayed to the Lord, forgiving every one for any rudeness, and asking forgiveness for ourselves for our evil thoughts, which may be unwarranted.

We finally made it to Cookeville, TN, and the next day, we saw just the property we wanted, so we made an offer on it and it was accepted. So even though we researched so much about Kentucky, we would up buying in Tennessee. Our thanks to all who helped us with their comments and directions, and may the Lord bless the States of Kentucky and Tennessee, and all the people of the United States.

Wonderful, I'm glad you found what you were looking for...good luck!

Just curious, what highway(s) did you travel from Lexington to Cookeville?

Old 01-15-2018, 09:33 AM

11,002 posts, read 9,244,041 times
A few considerations: You appear to have traveled during the first week of January, when Kentucky experienced extreme cold. No doubt this contributed to the lack of traffic.

Most rural roads do not have streetlights, except perhaps at major intersections (which often are located in towns, not in the country. This is true in all the states I have visited, not just Kentucky. Even if you traveled via I-75, you would find this to be true).

After sunset in early January, it is usually "pitch black" just about everywhere (other than for the spectacular Wolf Moon of January 1).

I am sorry you were tail-gated and experienced less than courteous treatment by a couple of women working in a grocery store, but please do not judge our entire state by these incidents.

When I traveled to and from Lexington and Cookeville for the eclipse last summer, I took the mostly four-lane US 27 to Somerset, KY, then drove over to Lake Cumberland State Park for the night, then arose early and took what turned out to be mostly four-lane roads on to Cookeville. If you went by London, KY instead, it's strange that your GPS sent you by rural roads rather than I-75, which leads straight to London from Lexington.

Glad you found what you were seeking, but next time, perhaps using a reliable road atlas to supplement your GPS might be a good idea.

Old 01-16-2018, 12:04 AM

That's kinda what I thought Mr Creek. So, since my reading comprehension ain't too good some times, I decided to read the post again and, I got more questions now. Oh well, I get the feeling we will never know for sure. I tried to be nice to the guy, I guess he wasn't looking for nice.

Old 02-13-2018, 04:31 PM

Hi Hogsrus, didn't mean to ignore your question. The last month has been crazy busy with preparing to move that I haven't been back to this thread. I have to say that our whole experience on this particular trip was the result of my own mistakes and bad planning. It is amazing that somehow we muddled through it all to a good result. Praise God.

The over all plan was to look at properties around Cookeville, TN for a day, then head back north to Corbin KY and London, KY, look at properties there, then drive north to Blue Grass Airport and fly back to the west coast.

Mistake #1 was I should have flown to Nashville, then rented a car and travel the easy 70 miles on Interstate 40E to Cookeville. Then we could have driven north to see the Kentucky properties and left via Blue Grass Airport in Lexington, Instead, I chose to fly into Lexington and then drive south to Cookeville after dark, along unfamiliar roads. My poor wife is a nervous type in the car, she has been in an auto accident before, and she sure was nervous during this trip south from Lexington. She tends to be a back-seat driver as the result of her accident. Like "Watch out!" "Slow down!" , etc. It can try my own patience and make me a little edgy.

When we arrived at Blue Grass Airport, we rented a vehicle and headed south. Mistake #2 was that I relied totally on the rental vehicle GPS, which must have been set to the "shortest distance" mode, because rather than take us to Interstate 75 and south as I expected, it took us through a series of local roads (Man O War Blvd to Rt 68, to rt 169 through Nicholasville to rt 27 business to Lexington Rd.) When we got to Garrard KY, I realized the GPS was taking us by the back roads and I switched over to Google Maps which took us to 34 through Danville where we picked up Rt 127 and crossed the Cumberland at Wolf Creek Dam and all the way south to Tennessee 111 to Cookeville.

Along the way, we stopped at what my wife said was the worst McDonalds she even been to- it must have been in Danville. We went through the Drive through, and placed our order and paid for it, and the lady asked us to park while our order was prepared, which we did, and about 10 minutes later, a different person came out and told us they were all out of what we had ordered, and so we ordered something else, which took another 15 minutes to cook. While we were waiting, we went inside to use the restroom and my wife said it was the worst public restroom she had even seen, with one toilet overflowing onto the floor. The floor of the restaurant itself seemed like it needed a good mopping. We saw a group of four employees, and they were not apparently concerned about the lack of cleanliness since they were grouped outside looking up at the stars and chatting. We finally got back on the road and about 30 minutes later my wife developed a stomach problem, probably from the food at McDonalds, so after stopping again, we finally got back on the road.

Anyway we survived the trip and found a beautiful place the first day in Tennessee in Putham county. So we did not even give London KY a chance, and I am sure there was some nice properties there, and very nice people as well. In this and the previous post, I hope I did not convey any bad attitude about Kentucky, and if so I do apologize. I do look forward to visiting your beautiful state after we have finished our move and we are finally in our new home. My thanks to all who spent time answering my questions, and God bless you all. I am happy to answer any questions.

Old 02-13-2018, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Hi Hogsrus, didn't mean to ignore your question. The last month has been crazy busy with preparing to move that I haven't been back to this thread. I have to say that our whole experience on this particular trip was the result of my own mistakes and bad planning. It is amazing that somehow we muddled through it all to a good result. Praise God.

The over all plan was to look at properties around Cookeville, TN for a day, then head back north to Corbin KY and London, KY, look at properties there, then drive north to Blue Grass Airport and fly back to the west coast.

Mistake #1 was I should have flown to Nashville, then rented a car and travel the easy 70 miles on Interstate 40E to Cookeville. Then we could have driven north to see the Kentucky properties and left via Blue Grass Airport in Lexington, Instead, I chose to fly into Lexington and then drive south to Cookeville after dark, along unfamiliar roads. My poor wife is a nervous type in the car, she has been in an auto accident before, and she sure was nervous during this trip south from Lexington. She tends to be a back-seat driver as the result of her accident. Like "Watch out!" "Slow down!" , etc. It can try my own patience and make me a little edgy.

When we arrived at Blue Grass Airport, we rented a vehicle and headed south. Mistake #2 was that I relied totally on the rental vehicle GPS, which must have been set to the "shortest distance" mode, because rather than take us to Interstate 75 and south as I expected, it took us through a series of local roads (Man O War Blvd to Rt 68, to rt 169 through Nicholasville to rt 27 business to Lexington Rd.) When we got to Garrard KY, I realized the GPS was taking us by the back roads and I switched over to Google Maps which took us to 34 through Danville where we picked up Rt 127 and crossed the Cumberland at Wolf Creek Dam and all the way south to Tennessee 111 to Cookeville.

Along the way, we stopped at what my wife said was the worst McDonalds she even been to- it must have been in Danville. We went through the Drive through, and placed our order and paid for it, and the lady asked us to park while our order was prepared, which we did, and about 10 minutes later, a different person came out and told us they were all out of what we had ordered, and so we ordered something else, which took another 15 minutes to cook. While we were waiting, we went inside to use the restroom and my wife said it was the worst public restroom she had even seen, with one toilet overflowing onto the floor. The floor of the restaurant itself seemed like it needed a good mopping. We saw a group of four employees, and they were not apparently concerned about the lack of cleanliness since they were grouped outside looking up at the stars and chatting. We finally got back on the road and about 30 minutes later my wife developed a stomach problem, probably from the food at McDonalds, so after stopping again, we finally got back on the road.

Anyway we survived the trip and found a beautiful place the first day in Tennessee in Putham county. So we did not even give London KY a chance, and I am sure there was some nice properties there, and very nice people as well. In this and the previous post, I hope I did not convey any bad attitude about Kentucky, and if so I do apologize. I do look forward to visiting your beautiful state after we have finished our move and we are finally in our new home. My thanks to all who spent time answering my questions, and God bless you all. I am happy to answer any questions.
Thanks Rod....why didn't ye just ask which way was the best? I am familiar with US127, which was probably the best route all things considered, although, day time travel would have been best for a first timer. As for McDonalds...well, sadly enough, they all ain't created equal. Had those good folks been making $15.00 an hour I'm sure the service would have been better.

I apologize for the less than pleasant experience, we'll do better next time. Anyway, I'm glad all ended well.

Take care and God Bless.

P.S. we need an update from time to time...

Old 02-13-2018, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Think it is part of the Daniel Boon Forest. It is partially in Clay and Leslie County: Here is an excerpt from another website:

[SIZE=3]Redbird Ranger District
[/SIZE]
  • Redbird Crest Trail
"The Redbird Crest Trail System is a 100 mile trail system which is located in Clay and Leslie counties. The trail generally follows the ridgetops. Some parts may be steep and rough. Some areas are so narrow that only single track vehicles can drive on them. It is a multiple-use trail, which means that hikers, horses, mountain bikes, motorcycles and ATV's under 50 inches wide are welcome. One portion of the route on Sand Hill Road is open to licensed vehicles only. The trail is marked with orange-painted, diamond-shaped blazes spaced no further than 1/10th of a mile. Trail symbols are used at road intersections and as a reminder. Intersecting trails are identified with signs. From the Hal Rogers Parkway, take Big Creek Exit #34. Turn right at the end of the exit ramp onto KY 66. Go 0.7 miles (passing under the parkway) to the intersection with US 421/KY 80. Turn right and go 0.8 miles, and then turn left onto KY 66. Continue on KY 66 for 1.7 miles. The Redbird Ranger District office is on the right and the Peabody trailhead is on the left."
  • Redbird Wildlife Management Area
"Redbird Wildlife Management Area is hilly to steep with gentle slopes in bottomlands and on ridge tops; mostly forested with approximately 100 acres of openings and 25 miles of improved hiking trails. No developed facilities. Mobility impaired access to permit holders on designated area, which is currently the Redbird Crest Trail
Hey Rod...I just went back and read the thread again...I don't know how I missed this. That's all correct, I just hadn't never heard it referred to as a bird sanctuary. I just it know it as "Red Bird". There is also a Red Bird Mission, a religious School in the area.

Old 07-07-2019, 05:57 PM

Just to wrap up this thread, after looking both in KY and in TN, we wound up moving to Cookeville TN. We appreciate very much the time of everyone who helped us and answered our questions, and offered opinions. God Bless!

Old 07-08-2019, 02:30 AM

8,407 posts, read 4,678,235 times
Great to hear!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky