Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2017, 10:53 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,807,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rod5591 View Post
My wife has found a couple of houses in London KY. One is right by the Daniel Boone National Forest.

Wonder how it will be moving in the middle of January? My wife is worried about that, but not me. What I am worried about is there high speed fiber optic Internet services in London. Anyone know?
Typically, January is the coldest and one of the two snowiest months of the year in Kentucky. However, London is located on I-75 and is the location of one of the state police headquarters, so the Interstate gets cleared quickly, barring major snow/ice catastrophes. It takes longer for secondary roads to be cleared, of course, but you should be able to reach the town itself without undue difficulty.

Of course, other years see sun and January highs in the 50s and 60s. January is a long month - so some years see both extremes. It's too early to predict, so keep your personal and automotive snow and ice gear handy, just in case.

Right now, it's clear to partly cloudy but considerably colder than usual at this time of the year here in Central Kentucky, with a chance of snow showers tomorrow.

No idea about Internet services - no doubt others can answer this query.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2017, 04:07 PM

34,091 posts, read 82,482,448 times
Quote:
Can some of the forum members make suggestions on where we might want to ...?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vMUvCYTtmM

Old 12-08-2017, 06:22 PM

1,056 posts, read 1,858,651 times
Quote:
My wife has found a couple of houses in London KY. One is right by the Daniel Boone National Forest.

Wonder how it will be moving in the middle of January? My wife is worried about that, but not me. What I am worried about is there high speed fiber optic Internet services in London. Anyone know?
Could be some fiber in some locations. I don't have fiber but got 35megs up and 6 down, but that might not be sufficient for your needs.

Moving shouldn't be an issue other than being a little cold and assuming you can get a moving truck close enough to the house.

Old 12-10-2017, 08:02 AM

406 posts, read 861,107 times
Quote:

Internet in London? You have two major options- Windstream and Spectrum. I am not sure if both offer high speed fiber optic internet service. I have windstream and it is adequate, but the national customer service is just awful (the local people are great, but the national people keep messing it up).

I am thinking of switching to Spectrum, the people I know who have it seem to like it. There are some other options but I don't really know anything about them. I would suggest you see what offers Spectrum has in the London area.

Moving in January, well the weather in Kentucky is weird. No other way to put it. I have seen some Januaries with arctic weather and feets of snow and I've also seen Januaries with temperature in the 70s. Actually the worst weather I've seen in London has been in the months February or March. Moving in January shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Last edited by xxmagex; 12-10-2017 at 08:11 AM..

Old 12-11-2017, 01:26 PM

93 posts, read 109,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxmagex View Post
Moving in January, well the weather in Kentucky is weird. No other way to put it. I have seen some Januaries with arctic weather and feets of snow and I've also seen Januaries with temperature in the 70s. Actually the worst weather I've seen in London has been in the months February or March. Moving in January shouldn't be too much of a problem.
Yes, we will have to be careful. And trust in the Lord to provide.

Old 01-02-2018, 01:23 AM

Anyone have a favorite Baptist church in London they would like to share?

Old 01-02-2018, 10:42 AM

I have some friends and some family that attend Corinth Baptist...they seem happy.

Old 01-07-2018, 10:50 AM

Anyone have any feedback on the best locations in Laurel County to live? I know it is a general question but would welcome any thoughts.

Close to the Daniel Boone Forest?
Close to the Interstate?
Close to the Bird Sanctuary?
The town of Lily?
Corbin?
London?

What do you all think? We are looking at homes around in that area and would welcome feedback. Really what we are looking for is a place where we can raise a few animals, get easily into town to shop and up to Lexington to the VA hospital if need be, find a friendly and God-fearing church, have some privacy and enjoy our retirement, if the Lord wills it. A location that would hold its value better if we need to sell in 10 years or so

Any suggestions?

Old 01-08-2018, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Anyone have any feedback on the best locations in Laurel County to live? I know it is a general question but would welcome any thoughts.

Close to the Daniel Boone Forest?
Close to the Interstate?
Close to the Bird Sanctuary?
The town of Lily?
Corbin?
London?

What do you all think? We are looking at homes around in that area and would welcome feedback. Really what we are looking for is a place where we can raise a few animals, get easily into town to shop and up to Lexington to the VA hospital if need be, find a friendly and God-fearing church, have some privacy and enjoy our retirement, if the Lord wills it. A location that would hold its value better if we need to sell in 10 years or so

Any suggestions?

DB National Forest is on the west side...

I-75 North/South splits Laurel County right down the middle.

Lily is a community south of London a few miles on US25.

Some very nice farm land on the east side of I-75. East Highway Ky80...KY229...KY1189...KY1006. Not to say that the North end of Laurel County is bad, it's just not for me. There's a lot of new development West on KY192 which takes you through the National Forest and eventually to Laurel Lake. Highway KY363 would be a good consideration it's west of I-75 as well. You might take a look on Highway KY552 also which connects between KY192 and US25 and crosses Highway KY363.

You need to come and take a look around.

I'm a little confused on the Bird Sanctuary...just where is that at?

Good luck

Last edited by hogsrus; 01-08-2018 at 10:07 PM..

Old 01-12-2018, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogsrus View Post
DB National Forest is on the west side...

I'm a little confused on the Bird Sanctuary...just where is that at?
Think it is part of the Daniel Boon Forest. It is partially in Clay and Leslie County: Here is an excerpt from another website:

[SIZE=3]Redbird Ranger District
[/SIZE]
  • Redbird Crest Trail
"The Redbird Crest Trail System is a 100 mile trail system which is located in Clay and Leslie counties. The trail generally follows the ridgetops. Some parts may be steep and rough. Some areas are so narrow that only single track vehicles can drive on them. It is a multiple-use trail, which means that hikers, horses, mountain bikes, motorcycles and ATV's under 50 inches wide are welcome. One portion of the route on Sand Hill Road is open to licensed vehicles only. The trail is marked with orange-painted, diamond-shaped blazes spaced no further than 1/10th of a mile. Trail symbols are used at road intersections and as a reminder. Intersecting trails are identified with signs. From the Hal Rogers Parkway, take Big Creek Exit #34. Turn right at the end of the exit ramp onto KY 66. Go 0.7 miles (passing under the parkway) to the intersection with US 421/KY 80. Turn right and go 0.8 miles, and then turn left onto KY 66. Continue on KY 66 for 1.7 miles. The Redbird Ranger District office is on the right and the Peabody trailhead is on the left."
  • Redbird Wildlife Management Area
"Redbird Wildlife Management Area is hilly to steep with gentle slopes in bottomlands and on ridge tops; mostly forested with approximately 100 acres of openings and 25 miles of improved hiking trails. No developed facilities. Mobility impaired access to permit holders on designated area, which is currently the Redbird Crest Trail
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky