Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 08:48 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,803,014 times

Advertisements

I am in the post-undergraduate job search process now. I've applied to plenty of places and sent plenty of resumes... I would LOVE to move to Texas, as it has always been my dream and I LOVE that state. But, if that doesn't pan out right now, I'm thinking about moving to and working in northern Kentucky.

Why NKY? Well, first, I'm a Kentucky native and still live here. (I currently live near and work in Frankfort and went to school in Louisville.) I'm not fond overall of central Kentucky and its people, customer service in the stores, job market, cultural activities, dating scene, "redneck-ness"...I could go on.

I lived in NKY (Highland Heights) for five weeks once and really enjoyed it. I found it much easier to make friends in five weeks there than in 15 YEARS in the Frankfort area. NO JOKE! I like the proximity to Downtown Cincinnati, general friendliness (in my experience) of NKY folks, easy-to-navigate highway system (save for I-75,) and reasonable cost of living for nice neighborhoods so close to D.C.

Where I work would depend on where I live. My top choices of places to live are along or near I-275 and I-471 (i.e.: west-to-east b/t Erlanger/Elsmere and Highland Heights, south-to-north b/t Alexandria and Ft. Thomas.) I would be planning to rent for under $550/mo., not counting utilities, and be within 10 minutes of the downtowns of Covington and Cincinnati.

Any and all help is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2008, 02:03 PM

30 posts, read 136,432 times
I think you hit it on the head with Erlanger/Elsmere. Depending on how much you want to be close to nightlife, the Mainstrasse area of Covington is nice. Mainstrasse Village - Covington, Kentucky

Old 03-22-2008, 04:07 PM

137 posts, read 448,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm1986 View Post
I am in the post-undergraduate job search process now. I've applied to plenty of places and sent plenty of resumes... I would LOVE to move to Texas, as it has always been my dream and I LOVE that state. But, if that doesn't pan out right now, I'm thinking about moving to and working in northern Kentucky.

Why NKY? Well, first, I'm a Kentucky native and still live here. (I currently live near and work in Frankfort and went to school in Louisville.) I'm not fond overall of central Kentucky and its people, customer service in the stores, job market, cultural activities, dating scene, "redneck-ness"...I could go on.

I lived in NKY (Highland Heights) for five weeks once and really enjoyed it. I found it much easier to make friends in five weeks there than in 15 YEARS in the Frankfort area. NO JOKE! I like the proximity to Downtown Cincinnati, general friendliness (in my experience) of NKY folks, easy-to-navigate highway system (save for I-75,) and reasonable cost of living for nice neighborhoods so close to D.C.

Where I work would depend on where I live. My top choices of places to live are along or near I-275 and I-471 (i.e.: west-to-east b/t Erlanger/Elsmere and Highland Heights, south-to-north b/t Alexandria and Ft. Thomas.) I would be planning to rent for under $550/mo., not counting utilities, and be within 10 minutes of the downtowns of Covington and Cincinnati.

Any and all help is appreciated!
Hey jcm1986! I am glad you are considering NKY as a place you want to possibly settle down. Northern Kentucky is a great place and has much to offer. I have never been to Frankfort so I don't know anything about it, but I can say that people in Northern Kentucky are quite nice! My wife and I absolutely love it here and are so glad we moved down here. Anyway, I would recommend looking into the Crescent Springs/Ft Mitchelle/ College park area. We found an apartment in Crescent Springs for $575/monthly plus they pay for our water. From our apartment we can walk to most things. Our apartment is a 2 bedroom apartment with a fireplace. We feel as though our apartment is a steal! Anyway, you should check on those area's I mentioned, you might find as we did that it is affortable. Take care and I hope you find the perfect place. By the way, how are people in Louisville? Are the nice as well?

Old 03-22-2008, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psm0110 View Post
I think you hit it on the head with Erlanger/Elsmere. Depending on how much you want to be close to nightlife, the Mainstrasse area of Covington is nice. Mainstrasse Village - Covington, Kentucky
I've heard Mainstrasse Village is a decent place to live for young 20s/30s singles. Covington has some things going on. How about Newport, are there some nice "cleaned up" neighborhoods within 5-6 blocks of the Levee?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentuckyguy View Post
Hey jcm1986! I am glad you are considering NKY as a place you want to possibly settle down. Northern Kentucky is a great place and has much to offer. I have never been to Frankfort so I don't know anything about it, but I can say that people in Northern Kentucky are quite nice! My wife and I absolutely love it here and are so glad we moved down here. Anyway, I would recommend looking into the Crescent Springs/Ft Mitchelle/ College park area. We found an apartment in Crescent Springs for $575/monthly plus they pay for our water. From our apartment we can walk to most things. Our apartment is a 2 bedroom apartment with a fireplace. We feel as though our apartment is a steal! Anyway, you should check on those area's I mentioned, you might find as we did that it is affortable. Take care and I hope you find the perfect place. By the way, how are people in Louisville? Are the nice as well?
Thanks for the input. NKY does appear to have a good quality of life at a price that won't break the wallet. (I'll send you a PM here very soon.)

Old 03-23-2008, 07:22 PM

Quote:
I've heard Mainstrasse Village is a decent place to live for young 20s/30s singles. Covington has some things going on. How about Newport, are there some nice "cleaned up" neighborhoods within 5-6 blocks of the Levee?
Someone else will have to chime in about Newport. I know there are efforts to clean up certain streets, but have no idea which ones or how it's going.

Old 03-24-2008, 04:48 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,082,223 times
JCM1986~ I just wanted to say congrats on your recent graduation.

Old 03-24-2008, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
JCM1986~ I just wanted to say congrats on your recent graduation.
Thank you, missy!

I must say, I've found several remarkably good deals on apartments in NKY.
  • $450/mo. in a historic neighborhoods along the Newport-Ft. Thomas border.
  • $400/mo. just off Alexandria Pike near Highlands Park in Ft. Thomas
  • $500/mo. very near the I-75/275 jct. in Erlanger, all utilities paid!
  • $440/mo. in an older part of Florence, some utilities paid
  • $400/mo. in Newport, just two blocks west of the Levee and Aquarium
I do not associate any of these areas as being "bad" areas. Older, maybe, but not high crime or ghetto. We're not talking certain areas of Covington or Newport here. So, are these great deals or what? Or, are there other places farther out in NKY (Alexandria, Union, Independence, etc.) I should consider looking?

Old 03-25-2008, 12:10 PM

241 posts, read 1,335,707 times
Quote:
$450/mo. in a historic neighborhoods along the Newport-Ft. Thomas border.
This has potential, and it's within minutes of downtown Cincinnati, the Newport riverfront, and Covington

Quote:
$400/mo. just off Alexandria Pike near Highlands Park in Ft. Thomas
Also a good area with access to the more exciting parts of town.

Quote:
$500/mo. very near the I-75/275 jct. in Erlanger, all utilities paid!
Could be good or quite horrible. These communities have a few sketchy neighborhoods and apartment complexes. Also, parts have a more suburban feel. You'll be closer to chain stores and strip malls than to more unique and hip downtown spots.

Quote:
$440/mo. in an older part of Florence, some utilities paid
I like Florence, but I'm biased because I spent much of my life there. It's definitely more suburban and lower in "hip" factor than some parts of Covington, Newport, and Ft. Thomas. It's basically the shopping capitol of NKY with the highest concentration of superstores, chain restaurants, and strip malls. But it does have a lot of advantages, including a huge variety of sports in which you can participate, a waterpark, movie theaters, libraries, a horse-racing track, and quick access to the airport, to name a few.

Quote:
$400/mo. in Newport
This could be a gem. There is a region of northeastern Newport called the Mansion Hill district. It's packed with fantastic, well-kept old homes on tree-lined streets, many of which have been converted to apartments. You could easily walk to Newport on the Levee from anywhere within the district. The district is essentially bordered by I-471/Bellvue on the east, 9th street on the south, Monroe Ave. (I think) on the west, and the riverfront on the north.

Quote:
Alexandria
This would put you at least 20-30 minutes from downtown. Alexandria isn't very big and it's basically on the perimeter of the metro area.

Quote:
Union
Imagine a vista of residential developments, condo complexes, and McMansions sprawling as far as the eye can see in all directions on what was once pristine countryside. Welcome to your new home at The Estates of Silverglen Meadow Bluff Creek Acres(TM)! Seriously, Union is a great place to start a family and raise kids, but not a place a recent graduate would enjoy. It's also at least 20-30 minutes out from downtown.

Quote:
Independence
Probably could find a good deal here, but it has suburban sprawl issues as well. And where it doesn't, you're in the country. Also, I think it's one of the most difficult areas from which to get into the city center. They're in the process of turning KY 17 into a 5-lane through Independence, so that could change the accessibility issue.

Other areas that I think have more of what you're looking for (or at least put you closer to it) are Bellvue (just east of Newport), Ludlow (just west of Covington), and possibly Crescent Springs, Ft. Mitchell, and Ft. Wright.

I don't know what the apartment scene is like around Main Strasse in Covington, but the Wallace Woods section of town (between about 22nd st. and Holmes High School) has some really cool rental property.

Old 03-25-2008, 03:14 PM

1,329 posts, read 2,630,032 times
Thanks JCM for posting that apartment research, and RG for your informative answers. Now I have narrowed my target areas for renting to Fort Thomas/Newport or Oakley/Hyde Park across the river. Walton looks promising as a place to buy, when the time comes.

Old 03-26-2008, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuralGuy View Post
Probably could find a good deal here, but it has suburban sprawl issues as well. And where it doesn't, you're in the country. Also, I think it's one of the most difficult areas from which to get into the city center. They're in the process of turning KY 17 into a 5-lane through Independence, so that could change the accessibility issue.
The KY-17 project will be completed through the center of town this summer, as will the widening of Turkeyfoot. It's currently about 20 minutes to downtown; the restricted access KY-17 will shave off 5 minutes or more of stop & go traffic though the town center.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky