Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 04:54 PM

26,678 posts, read 41,512,884 times

Advertisements

I knew Bevin would be trouble when the first thing he did was roll back the min wage for state workers back to pre-Beshear levels. This is not a surprise to me at all. The problem predates Bevin but his comments do him no favors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2018, 05:35 PM

11,008 posts, read 17,380,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Succinctly and clearly stated.

At one point, there was a proposal to have retired public employees pay back all their cost of living increases in order to "correct" the near deficit.

The last COL increase I received was eleven or twelve years ago, yet Frankfort, who caused the mess, wanted it back?? I don't think so.
I got my last one about 9 years ago, a year after I retired. 1.5%

Old 04-16-2018, 10:17 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,332,828 times
I am not into the fad of electing people who have no political experience, whether it's Bevin or Trump. Both are trying to run a govt like they are it's CEO. When things don't go their way they flip out. Being the leader of govt is like steering the rudder on the Titanic, not steering a go-kart.

Old 04-17-2018, 09:35 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,272,548 times
Default "I'm so sorry about your governor"...#Me too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I don't know Bevin at all as he was elected after I moved out of KY. The public worker Pension crisis has reached epic proportions in many cities, and states. It isn't just a KY issue. The politicians, AND the public sector unions are to blame, NOT the workers.
This is the very saddest of truths. It appears the state of Kentucky is embroiled in a pension crisis similar to other states and there seems to be a moral crisis with the people in power to take the appropriate steps to make it right for the workers who kept up their end of the bargain. As always, JMHO.

Pension Fund Problems Worsen in 43 States Updated: August 29, 2017

The news continues to worsen for America’s public pensions and for the people who depend on them. The median funding ratio—the percentage of assets states have available for future payments to retirees—declined to 71.1 percent in 2016, from 74.5 percent in 2015 and 75.6 percent in 2014. Only six states and the District of Columbia have narrowed their funding gaps; New York did best, going from 90.6 percent to 94.5 percent. D.C. is now overfunded.

By contrast, New Jersey, Kentucky and Illinois continue to lose ground and now have only about one third of the money they need to pay retirement benefits. And three states had double-digit declines in their pension funding ratios in the past year: Colorado, Oregon and Minnesota—though some of this can be attributed to actuarial changes in the way pension liabilities are calculated. We’ve ranked the states by the size of their funding gap. The lower the funding ratio, the more money the state has to come up with to meet its pension obligations.

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2...unding-ratios/

Old 04-17-2018, 09:37 AM

15,218 posts, read 30,396,210 times
I lived in Ohio not far across the river when Bevin was elected, and I didn't know he was going to be this much of a clown.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 04-17-2018 at 02:54 PM.. Reason: See post #5

Old 04-17-2018, 12:39 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,857,205 times
Kentucky needs to invest more money in their public education. They are near dead last in public education, all Southern states do. His words were not wise and maybe taken out of context but his stances and actions on education is far more concerning than his statements.

Old 04-17-2018, 12:40 PM

21,408 posts, read 12,550,670 times
Please provide evidence that the more money you throw at education, the better the results because, historically, the opposite has been true. People are operating under a false premise here.

Old 04-17-2018, 01:11 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,857,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Please provide evidence that the more money you throw at education, the better the results because, historically, the opposite has been true. People are operating under a false premise here.
Why are the Southern states so bad at public education?

Old 04-17-2018, 08:02 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,332,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
Why are the Southern states so bad at public education?
Largely a legacy of the antebellum period when elites were vehemently against public projects, including public education. The North has always been more of a civic minded society, in most Northern states Moderator cut: _ are more willing to raise taxes for things like schools. Moderator cut: off topic

Last edited by Oldhag1; 04-17-2018 at 09:05 PM.. Reason: Read post #5

Old 04-17-2018, 09:04 PM

20,098 posts, read 16,010,311 times
Any future postings about “Southern” education will be deleted as it is leading to thread hijacking. The overarching topic in all threads in this forum is Kentucky. This thread is about the current clash between its governor and teachers over changes to the pension plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky