U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2018, 05:41 PM

448 posts, read 435,401 times

Advertisements

So I was just curious.... Ive been browsing online houses for sale just to see what houses look like and what they go for in KY. Not that im gonna buy in the area but I have always thought that KY had some pretty towns from what Ive seen in pics.

What kind of area are these towns in?
Do they have good or bad reps?
What kind of employment in these areas?
thanks for any info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2018, 03:51 AM

15,909 posts, read 11,709,219 times
Interesting combination.... Other than being in Kentucky and having declining populations along with really cheap property, they don’t have much in common.

Fulton is in the far southwestern corner of the state in one of Kentucky’s most racially diverse counties - at least by percentages. Flemingsburg is in the northeast part of the state and may, just may, have a couple of mixed race people. It has a rather large Amish and Mennonite population, although not Kentucky’s largest in number or by percentage.

While both have an official population of about 2,000 people, Fulton is considered part of a micropolitan area with a Tennessee city anchor. Flemingsburg is the largest city in its county and it’s nearest “big” city, about 30 miles away, is Mount Sterling with a whopping 7,000 people. Naturally there more shopping opportunities and potential employment in the area near Fulton than in the area near Flemingsburg.

Fulton got its start as a rail city. Believe it or not, once upon a time about 2/3 all bananas sold in America visited Fulton, Kentucky before making their way to grocery stores. Flemingsburg got its start because... well, because there was no other place in a day’s horse ride when the state was dividing itself into counties so the state declared it the county seat.

Both are safe compared to much of the country, but yes, there is more crime of all kinds in Fulton.

Old 05-08-2018, 11:40 PM

Why does Fulton have more crime? So I imagine the jobs have dried up in these towns. I looked on google maps at Flemingsburg and thought it was one of the most good looking small towns I’ve seen. I like the streets, architecture, landscape and scenery. It appears to have character and hasn’t turned into anyone USA. Thanks for responding.

Old 05-09-2018, 04:39 AM

15,909 posts, read 11,709,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibbidy View Post
Why does Fulton have more crime? So I imagine the jobs have dried up in these towns. I looked on google maps at Flemingsburg and thought it was one of the most good looking small towns I’ve seen. I like the streets, architecture, landscape and scenery. It appears to have character and hasn’t turned into anyone USA. Thanks for responding.
My guess?
  • Greater population density of the overall area.
  • Agricultural origin versus transportation hub origin.
  • Most economically sound city in area versus economically weaker city in area.
  • Higher percentage of children born to unwed parents.
You know, the typical cultural and economic differences that impact crime.

Old 05-09-2018, 09:57 AM

13,273 posts, read 6,287,043 times
If you look at the crime stats on CD, the crime rate in Fulton has actually come down dramatically in the last 10 years. They were well below the national average in 2016 but still had higher rates than Flemingsburg.

Old 05-09-2018, 09:11 PM

Oh wow!! Thanks for the info I appreciate it. I would like to live in Flemingsburg if there were more jobs around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or