U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2006, 03:06 AM

393 posts, read 1,766,378 times

Advertisements

Seems that KY, and TN are affordable still.......I was considering ID, CO, and OR but it looks like I could still afford a house in KY and TN. I wonder what is up with that? They are certainly just as beautiful as ID, CO, and OR are they not? Is it the weather? the terrain? hhhhmmm, I don't get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2006, 05:04 PM

850 posts, read 2,955,679 times
I wish I could give you an exact answer to that question. The land is beautiful, we have all four seasons, there is thriving city life, along with comfortable contry life.

It all depends on what area you are in. Having lived here all my life, I have found that Kentucky seems to be a little behind most other areas in some ways. Like the fashion industry - things begin in California or New York and slowly trickle in to Kentucky. By the time we are experiencing the re-birth of toe socks - the world has moved onto something else! Crazy!

I think part of the issue is the job market right now. It is very tough, there are a lot of lay-offs from major employers, and many employers have positions which go unfilled due to ???? It is tough. Many people in my generation (40's) are finding themselves starting over again due to downsizing, etc. BUT...I can tell you that as the lay offs come, more and more industrial parks are springing up all over the state, especially in what used to be considered rural areas.

I wish I truly had an explanation for you. I never thought with my career choice - Medical office management - I would be in a position searching for a job with no luck since July. I have even applied for receptionist jobs - but with my experience, they assume I will move on or be unaffordable.

I do encourage you to truly do some research and come spend time in the area before you make a decision. Begin to view the Courier Journal on-line to see local issues in the Louisville area. There are so many good things about this state, and I believe they do out-weigh the bad. It all depends on what you are looking for, the profession you are in, and what you look forward to in the future. Oh - watch the school districts. They vary greatly in curriculum, even from one end of a county to another. If you have children, approach the schools in your district directly and examine private/traditional options. A good education can be found here, but I found out with my children too late how different it was since I graduated. They did well, but could have done better - been exposed to more.

Kentucky has a little of everything - and I am thankful it is still affordable!
Come visit - this is the perfect time of year!

Kimmieyky
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky