Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2018, 10:39 PM

2 posts, read 3,983 times

Advertisements

My husband is up for job promotion in Florence,KY. He really wants to take the job but I am worried about problems with racism. I am black, my husband is mixed race and we have two small boys. 1 in preschool and 1 baby. I worry about my children being discriminated against. I worry about discrimination against myself and my husband and of course violence. I've never been called the n-word to my face and I like to keep it that way. I don't want my boys to hear that either. And I don't want them to be the only brown face in their classroom either.

Would Florence be a good area for us? What area would be better for us? It must be near Florence since that is where my husband's job would be.

Thank you for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2018, 11:09 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,626,379 times
There is racism here, but it's no worse than most places. People have learned to co-exist. You can't swing a dead cat down here without hitting a half dozen mixed-race couples, and most people won't even give you a second look. It's very unlikely you'll need to worry about your kids' faces being the only brown ones in the room. One of our office admins lives in Florence; I'll ask her some detailed questions on Tuesday.

Old 05-27-2018, 11:12 PM

2 posts, read 3,983 times
Thank you Mr. In-Between. I look forward to your colleague's response too.

Old 05-28-2018, 03:29 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,626,379 times
I'm in a two-tone marriage myself, and we don't have any problems - but it's not the same as your situation. In our case, I'm white, but Mrs. In-Between is Asian. We do get an occasional look, but I think it's more about our age difference than the different races. She's over 20 years younger, and looks even younger than that. I think that draws a double-take every now and again.

Old 06-16-2018, 06:48 AM

10 posts, read 15,239 times
I decided to move to Florence in a couple of year's time. I visited Florence for a few times to see the demographics and how people interact. I went to Kroger, Home Depot, strip malls, antique malls and even Goodwill (selling donated stuff to help keep people employed). Yes, you are right. I can't see much colored persons. However, whites here will not spent time scrutinizing you up and down, in and out. From my observation, 90% are white, 5% are Asians (mostly Japanese and Taiwanese, large Japanese car factory nearby) and the rest are Blacks and Hispanics.

Yeah I understand your concern.
Hope your family can settle in peace.

ps look for good neighborhoods and schools when you are finding house or condos.

Old 06-16-2018, 07:26 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,153,979 times
Most of the region’s AA do live on the Ohio side of the river, but that doesn’t mean no AA live on the KY side. Covington and Newport, both of which are in a stone’s throw from Florence, are 10-12% African-American. Kenton County, just north of Florence also has a larger AA population, if you are concerned about your children having no AA peers.

Just FYI, you are no more likely to be called the n-word in Northern Ky than you are wherever you are currently living.

Old 06-18-2018, 07:24 AM

1,012 posts, read 1,119,141 times
To the OP, the older segment of KY considers northern KY to be the "Yankee KY". Which to me forbodes well to your question. Expect norhtern KY to have more gentile tendencies than the rest of the state.

Old 06-23-2018, 02:21 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,894,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashfearless View Post
To the OP, the older segment of KY considers northern KY to be the "Yankee KY". Which to me forbodes well to your question. Expect norhtern KY to have more gentile tendencies than the rest of the state.
"Gentile"?? Technically, most black folks are gentiles, if you're going by ancient Hebrew teachings.

Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky are historically heavily German and conservative. That's changed to some degree in recent years, but that influence is still very present.

When I lived in Cincinnati in the early 1970s, I was surprised to find much more casual racism than I was used to encountering in my rather courtly (and much more friendly) Central Kentucky hometown, or in a larger Southern city where I have lived for a year while attending grad. school. I remember overhearing and being shocked by REALLY inappropriate, ugly racial comments being made by supposedly educated older white life-long Cincinnatians, including some of my co-workers.

There seemed to be a much greater gulf and a lot of suspicion between black and white people, though they often lived within a few blocks of one another and their kids attended school together. There were race riots in the projects near downtown about a year before I moved to Cincinnati, and that certainly hadn't helped matters. Younger people seemed more open-minded than the older generation, however.

I hope things have changed for the better since then. To me, it seems that Northern Kentucky is more friendly and outgoing than is much of Cincinnati, but that may just be my perception, since I don't live in either place.

The OP and her family have probably settled long ago and I hope their experience was pleasant.

Old 06-24-2018, 02:47 PM

811 posts, read 888,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashfearless View Post
Generalization?

Northern KY and the other side of the river don't have the best record on race relations (Early 2000's Race Riots). I have seen more racist behaviors, comments and ideologies while living in Cincinnati metro than I ever have throughout other parts of Kentucky. If anything, I find the Ohio side of the river to have more racist tendencies outside the Cincinnati city proper. The suburbs of Cincinnati are incredibly conservative compared to Kentucky's major cities, which has more liberal and moderate suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky