Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2018, 12:52 PM

3 posts, read 4,589 times

Advertisements

Looking to retire in KY. Make look at part time work, nothing specific needed...extra income in retirement. Smaller community preferred, but need doctors, hospital, reasonable access to groceries without driving 1 hour. Do have 1 dog, married, no kids or grandkids, so do not need activities for young folks. Would like senior center or senior activities. Need low expense area but would like to be close enough to outdoor activities like swimming, walks. Prefer quiet and will prefer home vs condo or apartment. Enough yard for pet and flower garden. Not opposed to more land, but won't need acreage. We are used to rural living, but know since we are older, and getting older, need better access to conviences, especially since only 2 of us with no kids to rely on. Originally from NH, but not considering return there due to cost of living and climate. Due to work, living in VA for 10 years, husband newly retired so we can move. Never liked VA, still does not feel like home. Have considered AL due to cost of living there, but really do not want to move further south. Have also seriously considered Wyoming by what we have read, but have never been and cannot afford to go out to just check it out. Have only been to KY once for few days, Lake Cumberland area. Thinking of checking out Murray area. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2018, 06:10 PM

8,492 posts, read 8,777,706 times
Murray sounds like a good candidate. Bowling Green area if you want bigger.

Forum tends to be slower on weekends. So hopefully you'll get more replies next week.

Old 09-09-2018, 08:15 PM

14,768 posts, read 8,099,433 times
Hi! Welcome to the Kentucky forums here at City Data.
I live in Lexington but the Lakes area of Kentucky are really nice too!

Murray

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhBUuiDDVWs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7ZkryGeoFY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBjtyy4wpk4

Old 09-09-2018, 08:18 PM

11,085 posts, read 17,532,479 times
I'm 20 miles from Murray, in Mayfield. Shouldn't be too hard to find what you're looking for around here. For extra income there are quite a few places to work. I worked at one of the local Dollar General stores and had a great crew to work with. Part time averaged around 20 hrs a week. If you make key holder, you could get around 30. Think they all got raises right after I left ( got my first SS check so I'm home taking care of my wife now). Not saying that's the only place to apply, but you could probably get a job at DG just about anywhere you decide to move. I don't think you'd have any trouble finding a part time job in this area. Murray is a good place to live but have heard rent is higher there because of the high demand from college students. And an advantage of living in a college town is there is quite a bit to do on campus for free or almost free. Also occasionally you'll find some good concerts in the CFSB Center.
I was born and raised in Mayfield and moved back 6 years ago to take care of my dad after my mother passed away. I've always liked living here. For a pool, we have the YMCA. It's an indoor pool. Membership for senior couple is $34/month. There is also a swim and raquet club on the north side of town started by families that wanted something like a country club but not have to pay for the golf course part since they don't play golf. Kess Creek Park, owned and maintained by the city, is a nice 37 acre park with walking trails and exercise stops along the way. The park is attached to the YMCA property but you don't have to have a Y membership. There is also a disc golf course, fishing pond, miniature golf, splash park, and picnic shelters. Our church holds our service out there once a year along with a cookout.
About 30 miles away is Kentucky Lake, Lake Barkley, and the Land Between the Lakes National Recreation Area. The LBL is 170,000 acres of almost nothing but nature. There are over 500 miles of hiking and biking trails, fishing, camping, etc. Enough to keep you busy for several days. www.landbetweenthelakes.us
I always get carried away when I start talking about the Jackson Purchase area (all land between the Tennessee and Mississppi Rivers purchased from the Chickasaw Indians by Andrew Jackson in 1818). Like I said, I've lived here most of my life and don't see any reason to move elsewhere.

City of Mayfield, Kentucky - Home Page
City of Murray, Kentucky
Home - Murray-Calloway County Chamber of Commerce, Kentucky
https://www.explorekentuckylake.com/

If you're into quilting...https://quiltmuseum.org/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky