U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2018, 07:20 PM

4 posts, read 15,835 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone: I was curious if Kentucky is now or is contemplating having Sanctuary Cities? Also, is it encouraged to be bi-lingual in order to obtain employment?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2018, 07:53 PM

27,321 posts, read 14,006,964 times
No.

Old 06-29-2018, 08:14 PM

9,276 posts, read 5,063,688 times
Quote:
The Trump administration has found Louisville is not a sanctuary city or in violation of federal immigration law, after the Department of Justice reviewed a city rule for compliance and threatened to cut grant money.
Louisville Mayor Greg Fischer said in a statement that the results of the federal review shows Louisville is a "welcoming city of compassion."
"This finding underscores that it is possible to be in compliance with federal law and still embrace the foreign-born neighbors who are fueling our population growth, building businesses and helping attract companies that increasingly want to be in global communities," Fischer said on Saturday.
Louisville was one of roughly two-dozen cities targeted by the federal government during a crackdown on so-called sanctuary cities that defy federal law by shielding undocumented immigrants from deportation. But the city ordinance in question does not make the city a sanctuary city, officials with the Department of Justice found.
Background: Metro Council forbids cops from assisting federal immigration agents
"Based on the materials you have provided, we found no evidence that the Louisville-Jefferson County Metro Government is currently out of compliance with section 1373," Jon Adler, the director of the U.S. Bureau of Justice Assistance, wrote in a letter obtained by Courier Journal.

https://www.courier-journal.com/stor...ity/517378002/

Lexington isn't a Sanctuary City, but it doesn't check/actively pursue someone's immigration status unless they are charged with a crime first.

https://www.kentucky.com/news/local/...129580864.html

Old 07-14-2018, 09:13 PM

29 posts, read 45,975 times
No and we hope to keep it that way

Old 07-17-2018, 02:18 AM

6,877 posts, read 14,705,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolf445 View Post
No and we hope to keep it that way
Speak for yourself, please. Louisville is essentially a sanctuary city, although not officially one. The Mayor uses the code word "Compassionate" instead. It's his way of being sanctuary and skirting the tax implications of being sanctuary. Louisville has one of the fastest growing immigrant populations per capita in the USA.

https://louisvilleky.gov/government/compassionate-city

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/latino/...ricans-n630966

Old 07-17-2018, 08:24 AM

14,114 posts, read 6,945,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Speak for yourself, please. Louisville is essentially a sanctuary city, although not officially one. The Mayor uses the code word "Compassionate" instead. It's his way of being sanctuary and skirting the tax implications of being sanctuary. Louisville has one of the fastest growing immigrant populations per capita in the USA.

https://louisvilleky.gov/government/compassionate-city

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/latino/...ricans-n630966
Not trying to make this political but immigrants do not need sanctuary cities as your post implies. If you are here undocumented, then that's another matter.
My parents are immigrants. They never needed a sanctuary city and could have lived anywhere in KY, not just Louisville. Please don't lump all immigrants together as needing to be protected in some way.

Last edited by marino760; 07-17-2018 at 08:49 AM..

Old 07-17-2018, 08:08 PM

Thank you all for your replies. I attempted this comment yesterday, but it never showed up, (hmmm?!). I will make this one much less detailed. We live out West right now, doesn't really matter which state since they are all pretty much "Sanctuary States", (officially or not). We are a Conservative African American, retired military family looking for a quiet, respectful community to live in. We would appreciate flying the Flag without being told it's offensive and employment that doesn't require speaking Spanish. Also, not hearing on loudspeakers throughout the city the "call to prayer" in Arabic 5 times a day. If I sound fed up, I am & I'm sorry but would like to live somewhere that hasn't turned. Honest responses appreciated.

Old 07-17-2018, 08:14 PM

After reading the articles posted, I give it 5 to 10 years & it will look (& sound) like the West.

Old 07-20-2018, 02:05 AM

6,877 posts, read 14,705,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanuts69 View Post
Thank you all for your replies. I attempted this comment yesterday, but it never showed up, (hmmm?!). I will make this one much less detailed. We live out West right now, doesn't really matter which state since they are all pretty much "Sanctuary States", (officially or not). We are a Conservative African American, retired military family looking for a quiet, respectful community to live in. We would appreciate flying the Flag without being told it's offensive and employment that doesn't require speaking Spanish. Also, not hearing on loudspeakers throughout the city the "call to prayer" in Arabic 5 times a day. If I sound fed up, I am & I'm sorry but would like to live somewhere that hasn't turned. Honest responses appreciated.
You will do fine virtually anywhere in Ky or Indiana but a tiny area inside the Watterson (264) beltway in Louisville. I actually think you are a great fit for Bullitt County, KY in the south suburbs of Louisville. Close to Ft Knox too! Probably not a single mosque in the whole county, and American flags all over.

Old 07-20-2018, 08:25 PM

10,238 posts, read 19,690,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanuts69 View Post
We are a Conservative African American, retired military family looking for a quiet, respectful community to live in. We would appreciate flying the Flag without being told it's offensive and employment that doesn't require speaking Spanish. Also, not hearing on loudspeakers throughout the city the "call to prayer" in Arabic 5 times a day. If I sound fed up, I am & I'm sorry but would like to live somewhere that hasn't turned. Honest responses appreciated.
In Kentucky the kind of place you seek won’t think much more of African Americans than of Mexicans and Muslims.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky