Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 05:33 PM

17,337 posts, read 11,259,569 times

Advertisements

BTW, for the record there's a huge difference in snowfall between NE Ohio and Cincinnati / Northern KY.

Cleveland -61 inches of snow
Akron -43 inches of snow
Covington KY -16 inches of snow

There's no comparison when you look at the numbers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2018, 08:05 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,538,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
BTW, for the record there's a huge difference in snowfall between NE Ohio and Cincinnati / Northern KY.

Cleveland -61 inches of snow
Akron -43 inches of snow
Covington KY -16 inches of snow

There's no comparison when you look at the numbers.
The OP won't escape the grey skies, high humidity, and precipitation by the Ohio River at all, however. I find the winters here to be useless, not cold enough to have any nice longer lasting snow cover, just very damp and miserable- can't do much of anything outside as it is far too wet and muddy. I much prefer snow, colder temperatures, and clear skies by comparison. I will be moving north again in a few years, likely the Upper Midwest- since I'm not bothered by cold as I hate the heat and humidity with a passion.

Old 09-18-2018, 12:13 AM

1,059 posts, read 1,879,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
False.

Here are the facts:

Most Polluted Cities | American Lung Association

Louisville has much better air than Cleveland or Cincinnati/NKY which are also mentioned in this thread. I simply cannot see someone from NE Ohio satisfied in rural KY due to culture shock. Louisville has fairly decent air as it only shows up in the 20s on one of the list.

I still contend that Louisville is the best mix, however if the OP wanted a rural lifestyle, the Bluegrass region along I-64 is by far the most success "rural" areas in the state. Shelbyville or La Grange would be great for them.

Also Bardstown, voted among the best small towns in America. Shepherdsville and Mt Washington provide great value and huge potential property value growth. Most of rural KY, sadly, is not appreciating in real estate value as only Louisville and Lexington are rapidly adding jobs in KY.

Culture shock? It could be a breath of fresh air. Besides, culture shock is rarely fatal.

Old 09-18-2018, 05:29 PM

11,082 posts, read 17,525,111 times
Quote:
Louisville has much better air than Cleveland or Cincinnati/NKY which are also mentioned in this thread. I simply cannot see someone from NE Ohio satisfied in rural KY due to culture shock. Louisville has fairly decent air as it only shows up in the 20s on one of the list.
Culture shock? Lasalette, I'm down in western Kentucky, not the area you're checking on but had to make a comment on Peter1948's post. I've seen quite a few people who have moved to rural areas here in western Kentucky and love it. Did you know, not that many years ago, the Murray, Ky./Kentucky Lake area was the #1 retirement area in the country? Just because you couldn't find what you were looking for, don't put rural areas down.

Old 09-21-2018, 07:10 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,732,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
Culture shock? Lasalette, I'm down in western Kentucky, not the area you're checking on but had to make a comment on Peter1948's post. I've seen quite a few people who have moved to rural areas here in western Kentucky and love it. Did you know, not that many years ago, the Murray, Ky./Kentucky Lake area was the #1 retirement area in the country? Just because you couldn't find what you were looking for, don't put rural areas down.
How is that putting anywhere down? If you are from a city, rural America, particularly KY, is a culture shock. I have traveled to these areas and everyone knows each other. I have stayed in western KY for weeks on end and people are superficially polite then go back to their friends their family has had for 100 years.

People used to being close to a city are usually going to feel more comfortable being closer to a city. Most of us don't want to drive an hour to go to a basic store like Target, for example.

Old 10-04-2018, 05:02 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,887,312 times
Nashville serves as the nearest "big city" for a good many western Kentuckians.

Rather than "different" rural ways and easy access shopping being major considerations, I'd look at proximity of advanced health care and treatment if I were older and considering a move. Nashville offers both, of course, but may not be close enough in an emergency, unless an air ambulance is used and that can be very, very unreasonably pricy.

Old 10-04-2018, 09:39 PM

11,082 posts, read 17,525,111 times
We have great medical care in western Kentucky. Jenny Stuart in Hopkinsville, Jackson Purchase Medical Center in Mayfield, then Lourdes and Baptist Health (really they are both part of Baptist Health now) in Paducah. A friend of ours, in his early 50s and living in Benton suffered a mild stroke at his home a few weeks ago. He was rushed to Baptist Health in Paducah for surgery, was home 3 days later, and was in his boat on Kentucky Lake 2 weeks later.
Paducah has a pretty good mall for shopping Burlington just opened this week in the old Sears part of the mall. Plenty of good places to eat around the area. Make sure you check out some good west Kentucky bar b que.
If you like to go to an occasional concert there's the Carson Center in Paducah or the CFSB Center on the Murray State University campus. People also drive to Nashville and Evansville, Indiana for concerts

Old 12-28-2018, 12:50 PM

27 posts, read 78,695 times
Mild winter it is. Lexington has the mildest winter as far as we are concerned. My husband and I are both retired and moved down here from NY state five years ago and we are loving it!. You get to experience and enjoy the four seasons just right. People are very nice and friendly much to our surprise. Lexington is a lot smaller City than Louiseville but it has everything you need. It is also very pretty, it's like heaven on earth!

Old 12-28-2018, 07:58 PM

4,596 posts, read 6,348,700 times
"moved down here from NY state five years ago"....5 years you've been there and it's Louise-ville ? Maybe it's gentrified now....when I was there it was Lou-a-vul.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 12-31-2018, 06:32 PM

149 posts, read 185,489 times
Quote:
How is that putting anywhere down? If you are from a city, rural America, particularly KY, is a culture shock. I have traveled to these areas and everyone knows each other. I have stayed in western KY for weeks on end and people are superficially polite then go back to their friends their family has had for 100 years.

People used to being close to a city are usually going to feel more comfortable being closer to a city. Most of us don't want to drive an hour to go to a basic store like Target, for example.
KYgman is correct in his assessment. I retired and my Wife and I moved from Western NY, to Mayfield KY. We've been here now for just over 3 years, and have had absolutely no problems being accepted, and making some GREAT Friends in that short time. We had very positive interactions from the moment we arrived down here, including KYgman stopping by to welcome us. We've been invited to different Friends homes for Holiday dinners, among their Family and Friends. That certainly doesn't sound too superficially polite to me. I will say that we made it a point to meet Folks, and we are genuine people.

As for driving an hour do go to a store like Target, I don't know what you are talking about. We can travel 20 minutes or so, and be in either Paducah, or Murray, which have pretty much any store you would want (in my opinion too many stores!!). We have malls around us, as well as quaint "Old style" downtown areas.

I'm 64 years old, and have never only given "weeks" for relationships to grow.

MO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky