U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2018, 05:38 PM

31 posts, read 77,456 times

Advertisements

Hello,
we need a quick help: we are a retired couple who still live in Cleveland, Ohio, and went to many places trying to find the most suitable town for us.
Florida is too humid for us, Arizona too dry, Texas is Texas, Carolinas or Tenseness not for us. We are still looking for place with a mild winter.
Somehow our attention is focused on Kentucky, in particular Lexington areas and Louisville area.
Can someone tells us some advices on the climate (we checked the Weather), living and other aspects.
It seems if we stay close to Cincinnati (Covington, Alexandria) the winter is much worse than around Lexington or Louisville. Can someone, please shed some light here.
Thank you in a dance.

Alex
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2018, 11:42 PM

6,882 posts, read 14,738,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasalette View Post
Hello,
we need a quick help: we are a retired couple who still live in Cleveland, Ohio, and went to many places trying to find the most suitable town for us.
Florida is too humid for us, Arizona too dry, Texas is Texas, Carolinas or Tenseness not for us. We are still looking for place with a mild winter.
Somehow our attention is focused on Kentucky, in particular Lexington areas and Louisville area.
Can someone tells us some advices on the climate (we checked the Weather), living and other aspects.
It seems if we stay close to Cincinnati (Covington, Alexandria) the winter is much worse than around Lexington or Louisville. Can someone, please shed some light here.
Thank you in a dance.

Alex
Both Louisville and Lexington would be nice.

You'd feel more comfortable in Louisville, though. It's much larger than Lexington with better overall healthcare (although UK Chandler is arguably the best hospital in the state, the other hospitals there not so much).
Louisville also feels more Midwestern (but still southern to the hilt) and the biggest advantage to Louisville? You can live in Jeffersonville or Floyds, Knobs IN and pay MUCH lower property, local, and state income taxes than anywhere in Kentucky AND get the same nice weather that KY offers as you are so far south! These areas are a suburb of Louisville.

Louisville has the theatre and museums you are used to from Cleveland. It has the historic urban neighborhoods and the same guy who designed Metro Parks in Cleveland designed Louisville's park system! Cherokee Park in Louisville is simply stunning! The festivals and music in Louisville are amazing. And did I mention the food?

Just send me a message and I will help guide you. You will feel very comfortable coming to Louisville from Cleveland....the city gains more transplants from NE Ohio than any other city! We even have a Browns bar.

You are correct about Northern KY by Cincinnati....it's noticeable colder, rainier, and feels too much like OH, which you presumably want to escape.

Old 09-17-2018, 01:29 AM

5,897 posts, read 5,516,641 times
Cincinnati gets more of the Great Lakes weather say & affect typically. But sometimes it affects the others too.

Old 09-17-2018, 07:38 AM

14,137 posts, read 7,012,634 times
Just going by statistics on websites, Cinn gets 14 inches of snow and Lexington gets 10 in an average year. Louisville gets 9 inches. It's not a huge difference. It's nothing like the upper midwest or New England. The average U.S. snowfall 26 inches.

Old 09-17-2018, 09:45 AM

5,897 posts, read 5,516,641 times
In my above post, it should have said Great Lakes weather "sag". I don't always see the mistakes autocorrect makes.

Both Louisville and Lexington have their backers. If you have a size preference, that could decide it. How important are downtown activities to your lifestyle? Both have extensive suburbs if you prefer living on or near the edge of the metro. Indiana suburbs? Don't have an opinion on them, other than noting that you have the bridges to deal with at rush hours.

Last edited by NW Crow; 09-17-2018 at 11:04 AM..

Old 09-17-2018, 10:40 AM

961 posts, read 1,446,234 times
If weather is your main concern, I would suggest the Southern parts of Kentucky, From London West to Bowling Green to Paducah. Lexington can get worse weather than just 70...80 miles South. Louieville Will consistently get worse weather than most other parts of the State.

Good Luck!

Old 09-17-2018, 11:07 AM

697 posts, read 500,509 times
If you are trying to live in an area with better weather/climate than NE Ohio then I would look toward Bowling Green or maybe Louisville if BG is too small of a town. Lexington still gets very cold and NKY is just like Ohio in many facets so I would avoid that area.

Old 09-17-2018, 01:14 PM

1 posts, read 1,408 times
Worth considering: Louisville has some of the worst air pollution in the US.

Old 09-17-2018, 01:19 PM

5,457 posts, read 4,808,530 times
Summer is hot, gets to the 90's and lots of humidity - just like Florida - but for less time than Florida (June/July/August). Get's to the 20's, sometimes below, in the winter - just no real snow. Sometimes the wind chill is below 0.

"Mild" is not the word I would use. I lived there for 25 years and it was not mild.

Old 09-17-2018, 05:57 PM

6,882 posts, read 14,738,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chovy View Post
Worth considering: Louisville has some of the worst air pollution in the US.
False.

Here are the facts:

Most Polluted Cities | American Lung Association

Louisville has much better air than Cleveland or Cincinnati/NKY which are also mentioned in this thread. I simply cannot see someone from NE Ohio satisfied in rural KY due to culture shock. Louisville has fairly decent air as it only shows up in the 20s on one of the list.

I still contend that Louisville is the best mix, however if the OP wanted a rural lifestyle, the Bluegrass region along I-64 is by far the most success "rural" areas in the state. Shelbyville or La Grange would be great for them.

Also Bardstown, voted among the best small towns in America. Shepherdsville and Mt Washington provide great value and huge potential property value growth. Most of rural KY, sadly, is not appreciating in real estate value as only Louisville and Lexington are rapidly adding jobs in KY.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 09-17-2018 at 06:11 PM.. Reason: Please discuss the topic, not other posters
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky