U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2018, 02:51 PM

14,636 posts, read 7,663,782 times

Advertisements

I finally took a trip to explore Carlisle and Maysville and had an outstanding time. From Lexington I rented a car and traveled NE on Highway 68. The drive itself is lovely, first going through Paris and then into Carlisle. The rolling emerald hills are filled with what seems to be an endless amount of beautiful horses, farms and dotted with picturesque old barns and old farm houses.
Carlisle seemed to be cut out of a fairy tale book. The old glorious courthouse surrounded by turn of the century homes, churches and storefronts didn't disappoint. I spent the better part of a day there exploring the town. I made it a point to get a few things at the local grocery store which is small but has all the staples including meat and vegetables. The Doll museum was something not to miss. The lady that owns it was very kind and I spoke to her for what must have been close to an hour about collectibles. She introduced me to her husband and he was nice enough to take me across the street to another building where they have some model train memorabilia that they keep stored.
I had the most wonderful lunch at a new little mom and pop restaurant that opened in downtown just a few weeks ago. The pie was the best I've ever had. The waitresses were extremely nice and proudly answered a few questions I had about the town. Contrary to what some people post about small towns like Carlisle, people were very friendly, nicely dressed and went out of their way to say hello. Yes, people did actually wave at me as I walked through town including the residential area. I really enjoyed Carlisle and could see myself retiring there. The drive from Paris to Carlisle only took me 17 minutes and it was a very easy drive on a well maintained, clean beautiful highway and outer Lexington was only about 40 minutes away.

Maysville was incredible. Coming from my part of CA, I'm just not accustomed to seeing downtowns so well maintained and beautiful and one town having 2 separate historic districts. I visited Old Washington which was full of charm and history. The Mason County Park again was something I didn't expect and stunningly lovely and large, with an array of sporting facilities, fishing lake with fountain, a dog park, several play areas for young children and walking trail along with many acres of green, lovely green everywhere.
I stayed at a very nice hotel with a view of the grand Ohio River and just parked the car there and walked everywhere even at night and it always felt safe. Once again, everyone I encountered said hello. I started a conversation with a young lady who was walking downtown who asked me where I was from. When I told her CA and I was considering Maysville to retire in her face lit up and she asked me if I would like a tour of the town. The next thing I knew she was on the phone with her Uncle who turned out to be the Mayor. Within 5 minutes he drove up, introduced himself to me and we sat in front of his house and he answered all my questions. I couldn't believe the Mayor took the time to visit with me, a complete stranger.
While there, I saw a wonderful play at the historic Washington Opera House. I also visited the museum which had just opened an exhibit of the Old Pogue Bourbon Distillery along with sample tasting of their bourbon. Later that evening, I indulged in a couple of beers and pizza at the local pub and it just so happened the very nice lady who curated the bourbon exhibit was there also.
Maysville was simply amazing and so much fun. I can't get into everything and all the friendly people I encountered, but when all was said and done, I didn't want to leave.
I had planned to visit Flemingsburg too but I was having such a good time in Maysville, I never made it there.

Last edited by marino760; 10-20-2018 at 03:12 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2018, 07:13 AM

974 posts, read 1,528,430 times
Wonderful...I'm glad you enjoyed your trip to Kentucky!

Old 10-21-2018, 09:29 AM

9,862 posts, read 5,483,619 times
Great to hear that your trip worked out so well for you!
It always pays to come visit before moving somewhere...you get so much better of a feel for how things are.

Old 10-21-2018, 10:08 AM

Indeed it did pay to visit. I had done all my research and walked around many times virtually using google maps so I felt I knew my way around pretty well but visiting put it all in perspective and truly gave me a good idea of the culture and lifestyle of the people living there. Visiting also gave me the opportunity to walk by and look at homes currently for sale that I saw on Zillow. As an introvert, I found it incredibly easy to talk to people which helped a great deal as well.

For those who aren't familiar with Maysville, this is a nice video of the downtown area and people. The video is done with the music of Petula Clark singing "downtown" in the background. One of my favorite photos here is the wall mural of a young beautiful Rosemary Clooney who was a Maysville native. The mayor is also shown in a couple of pictures.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCrHS2rw5so

Last edited by Yac; 11-24-2020 at 01:42 AM..

Old 10-21-2018, 10:25 PM

46 posts, read 55,533 times
Marino,

What a great post on your recent trip!!!!, and a really good video.It's always a treat to hear what folks have to say after visiting an area. To think the Mayor himself answered all your questions, in front of his house, now THAT'S Southern Hospitality at it's best!!! what a great guy!!! Such fun to hear how well your trip went.

Old 10-22-2018, 07:17 AM

12,016 posts, read 10,245,640 times
What a wonderful post! I know the doll museum folks and will make sure they see this. So glad you had such a successful and enjoyable visit and were welcomed so warmly.

Thanks for sharing the good news- the Kentucky Tourism folks ought to see this, too!

So glad you enjoyed your visit to my beautiful Kentucky.

Old 10-22-2018, 05:18 PM

636 posts, read 1,166,507 times
Nice post, marino! So glad KY was all that you'd hoped!!

Old 09-20-2019, 03:12 PM

It's been almost a year now since that visit and I recently traveled once again to Maysville. Nothing has changed and once again, I loved being there. With the lovely green hills overlooking the town and the river, the architecture, the history and the friendly people I've met, I couldn't ask for a finer place to retire.
I bought a little Victorian era house bordering the historic district, easy walking distance to everything downtown. Sometimes dreams do come true. Thanks everyone for all the information and support provided over the years here in this forum.

Old 09-20-2019, 05:42 PM

17,731 posts, read 21,000,710 times
I just looked at the wikipedia page, and not only is Maysville a gorgeous looking little town, but it has a fascinating history, as well.

The Ohio River Valley, both sides, never ceases to impress me with its scenery, its quaint, historic towns with great architecture, and its history, both before and after the arrival of Europeans.

Thanks for sharing the nice picture!

Old 09-21-2019, 12:03 AM

3,667 posts, read 8,896,062 times
I have visited many places along the Ohio River valley in OH & KY. The one thing that I didn't like is the quantity of large coal fired power plants along the river that makes air quality not so great. There is a big coal fired power plant one mile upstream from Maysville (in OH) and another about three miles downstream (in KY). Did you notice any air pollution issue?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky