Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 09:35 AM

269 posts, read 811,801 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. I'm going to be in Cadiz for a week in early May (3-10). I don't want TOO much to do since I want to relax a lot of the time, but I'm looking for a couple things to do. (I want to at least enjoy some peace and quiet for a couple days of the time we're there. Something we don't get here in CA ) So yes... I'd like to fill a couple of my days actually being a "tourist". lol. My friend who I'll be staying with has gratiously offered to take us anywhere to get a feel of the place. (Planning on moving there)

So far, I've got Mammoth Cave as a definite on my list. Any other suggestions? I'm open to anything and everything. Please keep to only about an hour driving distance though. I don't want to wear my friend out! Thanks.

Oh, by the way. It will be me (27) and my bf (39). No children with us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2008, 03:36 PM

63 posts, read 313,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slove1106 View Post
Hello everyone. I'm going to be in Cadiz for a week in early May (3-10). I don't want TOO much to do since I want to relax a lot of the time, but I'm looking for a couple things to do. (I want to at least enjoy some peace and quiet for a couple days of the time we're there. Something we don't get here in CA ) So yes... I'd like to fill a couple of my days actually being a "tourist". lol. My friend who I'll be staying with has gratiously offered to take us anywhere to get a feel of the place. (Planning on moving there)

So far, I've got Mammoth Cave as a definite on my list. Any other suggestions? I'm open to anything and everything. Please keep to only about an hour driving distance though. I don't want to wear my friend out! Thanks.

Definitely go to Patti's and try their 2" porkchop dinner, then one of their homemade pies. Pattis 1880s Restaurant Grand Rivers Kentucky

Old 04-04-2008, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stxdreamer View Post
Definitely go to Patti's and try their 2" porkchop dinner, then one of their homemade pies. Pattis 1880s Restaurant Grand Rivers Kentucky
Ooh. Yumm. Pork chops. 2"?? Wow, big. Now I'm hungry.

Thanks for the info!

Old 04-04-2008, 04:58 PM

11,085 posts, read 17,530,236 times
There's a good bit to see on your way to Grand Rivers (where Patti's is) from Cadiz. When you turn on the Trace from 68/80 you're about a mile from the Elk and Bison range. ($5/carload). If you want to see the elk, it's better to go early in the morning or later in the afternoon, closer to sunset. They don't come out where you can see them as much during the day. But the bison don't care who sees them! lol There is a nature center about 6 miles off the trace. Gives you an ideal of what is around the LBL. If you go down towards Tennessee you will come to the 1850 homestead. It shows how life was around here in the 1850's. If you go check this one out and see the old corn crib, that belonged to my wife's great grandfather. Her family was one who was pushed out of the "land between the rivers" when the TVA took over. There's a lot more to see. Just go to Land Between The Lakes | HOME . Click on "skip movie" and then click on "attractions" and also "recreation". You can rent bikes, camping equipment, canoes and kayaks (just at Lake Energy for the boats).
Don't mean to say that the LBL is the only place to go. I don't know if you're flying in to Paducah or Nashville, but if flying in to Nashville you can take the Briley Parkway right by the Grand Ole Opry.
You can check to see what's going on in Paducah. http://www.paducah-tourism.org/calendar/ . I looked through there and saw the Gatlin Brothers are going to be at the Carson Center May 9. I'll be quiet now and let somebody else say something. lol But the best thing to do with all that water around? Find a beach, stretch out, and relax!

Old 04-07-2008, 10:17 AM

Thanks gman. Someone had messaged me and mentioned the elk and bison range and the nature center. I'm so there! It'll be great to take my friends kids (she's got 4!) and have a field day. lol. I remember as a kid going to a family friend's farm, they had bison there. It was so cool because back then they were the only farm in CA that had bison. Yay. Can't wait.

And yes, I've definitely planned on visiting the lakes. I'll be flying into Nashville and I won't be there til 9PM so I don't know about any stops on the way home... lol.

Old 04-09-2008, 02:07 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,569,432 times
Quote:

You have to visit Land Between the Lakes and spend at least a week there. It's not far from Cadiz.

Old 04-10-2008, 02:48 PM

11,085 posts, read 17,530,236 times
We'll have to meet when you get here! Looking forward to it!

Old 04-11-2008, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
We'll have to meet when you get here! Looking forward to it!
Yay. Definitely. Me too!

Old 03-04-2009, 09:55 PM

1 posts, read 3,234 times
Quote:
Ooh. Yumm. Pork chops. 2"?? Wow, big. Now I'm hungry.

Thanks for the info!
Why you are at Patti Sues, for desert order a Candy's Delight. It's a Chocolate Lovers Dream.

Old 03-04-2009, 10:01 PM

1,833 posts, read 6,425,324 times
Also head over across the LBL and go to Willow Pond, great food there too, fried catfish, home fries, fried dill pickles, etc etc. At Patties I get the sampler appetizer it's HUGE and it's GREAT. There is no shortage of places to get fat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky