U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2019, 04:20 AM

6,879 posts, read 14,712,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlatworm View Post
No doubt, those are just a lot further away and less accessible on foot or on a bike a much bigger trip in a car, unlike the Olmsted Parks and Waterfront Park. If you're counting that as Lexington's assets then Louisville has Bernheim forest, Jefferson Memorial Forest, and a little further away Hoosier National Forest ...
How how about the 100 mile Louisville loop? The 21st century parks alone in the east suburbs simply cannot be matched in Lexington. Again, this isn't a fair comparison. I really think folks in Lexington have literally no idea how big Louisville is because they don't even cross the bridge or visit every side of the city. S. Indiana suburbs of Louisville alone feel a very similar size to Lexington minus the large college town downtown.

Lexington is a great town but its best compared to smaller college towns....its even small compared to Knoxville, Chattanooga, and Columbia.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2019, 07:03 PM

9,289 posts, read 5,072,883 times
I love Raven Run, Jacobson Park, the Arboretum! But it's hard to compare to the Louisville Olmstead Parks. Lexington however is a little bit closer in drive mileage to places like Natural Bridge, and the Red River Gorge.

Lexington has a ballet, an orchestra, children's theatre, etc...but it is hard to compare to Louisville's art scene. Actors Theatre, Derby Dinner Playhouse, Kentucky Center for the Arts.

Lexington does have some advantages...even though it is smaller, it is a very, very clean city.
(It was rated as one of the top ten cleanest cities in the world (Not just in the US...but the world),
it has been ranked as one of the most Literate cities in the nation and is in the top nationwide for the percentage of people with Graduate Degrees. It is surrounded by a ring of horse farms. (We traveled a lot when I was growing up, when My parents took me Lexington when I was a teen, I thought it was literally one of the most beautiful cities I had ever seen, and knew that I wanted to live there someday!)

Old 04-28-2019, 07:44 AM

14,119 posts, read 6,962,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
I love Raven Run, Jacobson Park, the Arboretum! But it's hard to compare to the Louisville Olmstead Parks. Lexington however is a little bit closer in drive mileage to places like Natural Bridge, and the Red River Gorge.

Lexington has a ballet, an orchestra, children's theatre, etc...but it is hard to compare to Louisville's art scene. Actors Theatre, Derby Dinner Playhouse, Kentucky Center for the Arts.

Lexington does have some advantages...even though it is smaller, it is a very, very clean city.
(It was rated as one of the top ten cleanest cities in the world (Not just in the US...but the world),
it has been ranked as one of the most Literate cities in the nation and is in the top nationwide for the percentage of people with Graduate Degrees. It is surrounded by a ring of horse farms. (We traveled a lot when I was growing up, when My parents took me Lexington when I was a teen, I thought it was literally one of the most beautiful cities I had ever seen, and knew that I wanted to live there someday!)
It's funny you mention seeing Lexington as a teen. As I mentioned in a previous thread, I first saw Lexington when I was 12. I had previously lived in Conn and southern Florida. I thought Lexington was the most beautiful city I had ever been to in the U.S.
The horse farms surrounded by acres and acres of white rail fences, and huge old stately mansions on many manicured green acres really impressed me.
Also as a 12 year old, the Southern accents and food (never heard of grits before) made me feel like I was in the deep South, a very wealthy part of the deep South, LOL.

Last edited by marino760; 04-28-2019 at 08:13 AM..

Old 04-28-2019, 12:16 PM

9,289 posts, read 5,072,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
It's funny you mention seeing Lexington as a teen. As I mentioned in a previous thread, I first saw Lexington when I was 12. I had previously lived in Conn and southern Florida. I thought Lexington was the most beautiful city I had ever been to in the U.S.
The horse farms surrounded by acres and acres of white rail fences, and huge old stately mansions on many manicured green acres really impressed me.
Also as a 12 year old, the Southern accents and food (never heard of grits before) made me feel like I was in the deep South, a very wealthy part of the deep South, LOL.

It's even more funny that you should mention that, because I also lived in Connecticut and South Florida as a child!
There is a lot of old money in Lexington and some of the surrounding areas.
My Aunt swore to me that I wouldn't like it when I moved here (Several of her kids had lived in Lexington)she said that people could be a little snobbier or more aloof here than in other parts of the state. I haven't noticed that at all. (My husband says that he thinks people in Louisville and Georgetown are more friendlier...but honestly, I haven't noticed that at all personally...I honestly prefer Lexington over Louisville at this point in my life. I have known a lot of really nice, wonderful people here.)

Louisville has more to do than Lexington in general, but I am older now and more of a homebody these days, so it suits me fine. It suits my needs well. Plus, Lexington in general is much safer than many parts of Louisville nowadays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky