Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2019, 11:43 PM

4 posts, read 8,724 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I'm looking to move my family (2 kids, and 1 on the way) to Kentucky. My husband is an independent contractor, and I'm a stay at home mom/hair stylist. We took a RV trip last summer, to Bardstown, and fell in love with it. Unfortunately, it was the only town we visited, we missed out on Elizabethtown, Owensboro, Danville, Louiseville. Now that we're looking at Kentucky as a serious move, I'm looking for more information and need help from locals.

I read louiseville and Lexington, has the best schools in the state. I'm just not sure Louisville or Lexington would be a good fit. When I've looked into Louisville, I've search for the areas near La Grange, St. Matthews. We would rather be in a small town, low crime, family friendly, convenient to everyday shopping, outdoor recreation, southern hospitality and somewhere my husband can restart his business. I love Bardstown, but I've also been interested in Elizabethtown and Danville, they all seem pretty similar to each other. If anyone could help, how good are the schools in these areas, public and private (Christian school). How does the job market look like? Any lakes or rivers close by?

We're also looking into Tennessee(Cookeville, Maryville), as a second option. We live in Oregon and we're tired of Democrats ruining our country and indoctrination in our schools, it's just so expensive to fly back and forth. The advise is much appreciated.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2019, 09:01 AM

1,059 posts, read 1,881,667 times
I think London would fit the bill. It's on I-75 about 75 miles south of lex. and about 80 or so miles north of Knoxville. Check it out.

Welcome to Kentucky!

Old 05-21-2019, 11:23 AM

577 posts, read 494,494 times
Use your internet as your best guide for researching the demographics of a new location. (educational levels, crime stats, age group density, % of who owns or rent, school ratings, etc) All while remembering an area where there is high employment, usually equals higher crime rates for that location.

It is troubling for me to see now, that KY has some counties with some seriously high drug abuse issues now.

And with my being born and raised in KY and having worked in it for 45 years in the construction/facility maintenance fields, I have learned a bit about the contracting business and how people use them.

When someone moves in to a smaller town or rural area here in KY while wanting to start up a business or while bringing a business with them, they need to expect to have some lean times while getting started and established.

But we do have a good demand for trades/skilled workers in the residential/commercial construction/service fields. Because for the passed 30 years, our school systems here pushed the young people to get college degrees, so the young people did not go in to the building/or skilled trades.

Now that we old baby boomer building trades/skilled workers are retiring and dying off now, we have skilled/ building trades companies here in KY that are coming up short of skilled help now.

But do not take me wrong here. Just because a person drives in to a KY town with a magnetic sign on their vehicle stating their trade license number and services on it, does not mean they will get hired and worked steady... immediately.

Because in my states smaller populated town's, the people tend to use people for their services that is : someone they know, kin to them, or that someone else may know, that this other person may know they may know, that could be highly recommended to do their work for them.

Good Luck on your endeavor and JMO

Old 05-21-2019, 06:53 PM

1,562 posts, read 2,795,897 times
I like Shelbyville and Bardstown as small towns with low crime rates. I like Frankfort, but am wary of its crime rate. Shelbyville is convenient to both Louisville and Lexington for shopping. City-Data’s individual city sites do not provide school system ratings, so you do need to dig that info out on your own, and it appears you know where to go to get that. Best of luck in your decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky