Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 12:49 AM

93 posts, read 110,381 times

Advertisements

Can some of the forum members make suggestions on where we might want to live in Kentucky to retire?
We have answered Questions suggested by the Moderator:

-Where you are working?

I am finally retired and I just plan on raising some chickens for food, and maybe a hog, lamb, or even milk cow. I might try to grow some corn also. My wife who is 22 years my junior might want to try to get a job as an accounting clerk or accountant, if there are any of those jobs around

-How much you are willing to spend on housing?

I hope to spend $150k or less for a simple house that is well kept up, set on 2-4 fenced acres with good water. THE fences are to keep my animals from straying and to set boundaries for my GSD. We might try to plant corn or another crop on part of the land.

-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate?

I wont commute too much myself, I will drive to the nearest feed store for chicken feed, , or grocery store. But if my wife can find a accounting clerk job she will need to commute to wherever her job is, i imagine--for her, the shorter the commute, the better, because she was in an accident a few ago that has made her nervous about driving.

-If you have kids: Private school or public school?

No kids!

-What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: small town feeling? small city excitement? suburbia delight?

We are mostly looking for privacy, since we have seen millions of people over the last 60 years or so, and mostly we have seen enough of great numbers of people. So if we saw only brief glimpses of neighbors, across fields, or even seeing no neighbors at all from our property ,would be nice, or just seeing them close enough to wave to from a distance,

However we love Jesus Christ and we would seek opportunities to support the local Body of Christ We will find a local church so we can glorify the Lord and fellowship with each other as we worship our Lord and prepare for his imminent return.

Some places, mostly larger cities, boast about their "diversity", and they like to call themselves a "melting pot" and "All the colors of the rainbow" can be found in places that boast such high levels of diversity.

My own preference for community is that those peoples similar in politics, backgrounds, mores, values should rightfully gather together into communities for the purpose of living peaceful lives --where there are no factions and divisions caused by values and beliefs diametrically opposed to those of the community. I believe in communities with less, rather than more diversity,

-Community amenities important to you.

Church, Grocery store, feed store, Hardware store, gun store, gunsmith, clean water, fishing, hunting, lumbar, restaurant, internet,

-Pie or cake?

I love pumpkin pie.Having said all of that, would anyone suggest a few towns or cities located n the great state if Kentucky where we might best find the retirement location of our dreams
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2017, 01:06 AM

14,775 posts, read 8,109,336 times
What you have described would be probably be possible in most parts of Kentucky.

Old 11-17-2017, 01:23 PM

409 posts, read 872,735 times
I would start looking in south central Kentucky, although has been pointed out previously your requirements would be possible in a lot of places in Kentucky. I would look at a box of territory starting in the east with Corbin/London/Somerset/west to Bowling Green then north to Bardstown then east to Berea and from there south to Corbin. I will say that while I was reading your post, the town of Glasgow came to mind.

Old 11-17-2017, 04:28 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,542,940 times
I'm in western Kentucky and I don't think you'll have much trouble finding a place in your price range. My stepdaughter and SIL bought a 3 BR 2 bath house on 14 acres for $120,000. That's about 10 miles outside of Cadiz, which is near Lake Barkley. When you get smaller towns anywhere in the state, you'll have no trouble finding a feed store. I imagine there's a Southern States Farm Store in just about every county, plus Tractor Supply and many more. I've seen places for sale near or on Lake Barkley that would be ideal for you. Only problem with some place is the closer you get to the lake the more it costs.
But I agree with CrazeeCat about finding that anywhere in the state. Hope you find what you're looking for.

Old 11-23-2017, 07:09 PM

My thanks to those who replied. Hope everyone had a blessed Thanksgiving. I looked at the area rxxmagex recommend (many thanks!) and I really liked both the cities of Corbin and London. They seem pretty close to each other.

When I told my wife I was looking at Kentucky, she asked “they don’t have tornadoes there, do they?” I said there have been a few tornadoes in Kentucky that I remember.

I also looked at Campbell County (Fort Thomas), and Kenton County (Independence), both seemed like nice places to retire, but properties are more expensive than Knox county and vicinity.

Last edited by rod5591; 11-23-2017 at 07:36 PM..

Old 11-25-2017, 10:44 AM

1,059 posts, read 1,881,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rod5591 View Post
My thanks to those who replied. Hope everyone had a blessed Thanksgiving. I looked at the area rxxmagex recommend (many thanks!) and I really liked both the cities of Corbin and London. They seem pretty close to each other.

When I told my wife I was looking at Kentucky, she asked “they don’t have tornadoes there, do they?” I said there have been a few tornadoes in Kentucky that I remember.

I also looked at Campbell County (Fort Thomas), and Kenton County (Independence), both seemed like nice places to retire, but properties are more expensive than Knox county and vicinity.

Check out this thread here on CD....London, KY - Info Please

Old 11-30-2017, 09:59 PM

thank you!

Old 12-02-2017, 07:11 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,628,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rod5591 View Post
Not many, and the ones we do get usually aren't that bad. We're about the middle of the pack for tornadoes in the United States.

Old 12-03-2017, 05:28 AM

17,342 posts, read 11,281,227 times
I just wanted to wish you good luck. I know I've tried to be helpful to you in other posts and threads regarding moving from CA to Ky. I'll be doing the same thing but not soon enough. When I started my KY search for the best town for myself, I was 6 years away and now I only have 3 years to go. Things are moving along well.
The first time I saw KY, I was about 12 years old and fell in love with it. That was many years ago but when I needed to find another state to retire in, I knew I didn't want to live anywhere else but KY. I've been back a few times since then and the more I visit the more it feels like home.

Old 12-07-2017, 11:36 PM

My wife has found a couple of houses in London KY. One is right by the Daniel Boone National Forest.

Wonder how it will be moving in the middle of January? My wife is worried about that, but not me. What I am worried about is there high speed fiber optic Internet services in London. Anyone know?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky