U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2019, 02:30 PM

6 posts, read 3,872 times

Advertisements

The company I work for is opening a new plant in Guthrie, right on the border of Tennessee. If I get the position (fingers crossed! ) my girlfriend and I and our 2 goldens will be headed south from upstate ny. I have been trying to find anything of substance on the above mentioned towns but have yet to find any real people with real life experiences. We would be looking to live outside either town and want a rural setting with some land. I've been all over Zillow and it seems it's relatively slim picking for houses/land under 180k (I have about 10 or so saved houses and of them I would only choose about 3-4). Other than the semi lack of available houses, is there anything negative about either town? Anything good about either? We are pretty conservative so this move has us excited to get out of this terrible state. Any tips, info, help would be great. Thank you all and I hope to be living the good life sooner rather than later!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2019, 06:25 PM

985 posts, read 1,982,417 times
Tennessee would probably be better for taxes. Hopkinsville and Clarksville TN are almost sister cities, and the Army base near there has a huge impact impact on both communities, for better and for worse. I recommend you post your query in the Tennessee forum as well as the Kentucky forum. Best of luck.

Old 05-22-2019, 04:56 AM

My company has basically said that the employees need to reside in Kentucky, although it's not 100% certain to me yet. I've looked at Tennessee because of the no income tax, but it seems most other taxes are higher so they might cancel out. Thanks for the info! Is clarksville a big population center? I know the base looks huge on Google maps Haha. I'm prior military so I know about military towns and how they have some good and bad attributes.

Last edited by Upstater59; 05-22-2019 at 05:09 AM..

Old 05-24-2019, 04:33 AM

985 posts, read 1,982,417 times
Clarksville’s population is approximately 150,000.

Old 05-28-2019, 12:15 PM

Wow that's pretty big, the town I grew up in was about 2500. Looking for that same small town rural living. I'm leaning more towards the russellville area by the research I've been trying to do. Seems bowling green is relatively close and has a bunch of things to do as well.

Old 06-11-2019, 08:49 PM

Anyone know anything good/bad with Russellville? Bowling green is too far of a drive for me

Old 06-24-2019, 08:36 PM

348 posts, read 225,207 times
I am about a week and a half late but in general,

The Kentucky side has more rural-living, state-income tax, but lower sales tax and in general a lower COL.

The Tennessee side is more urban/growing, has no state income tax, but higher sales tax and the COL is higher in Clarksville. There is a lot of traffic congestion in Clarksville because of its geography and rapidly growing population and I-24 can get some heavy traffic in that area. US 79 from about I-24 to Russellville is smooth sailing with no major traffic issues.

Hopkinsville and Clarksville both have nice areas and areas where crime is an issue. In Todd and Logan Counties KY, most of the crime will be the typical crime you hear from rural areas across the country (domestic, some property, and some drug) but nothing that is out of the ordinary. Politically, Clarksville ranges from moderate to solidly conservative depending on what part of town you are in and the rest of the region is solidly conservative. Both states, are politically conservative as a whole and tend to vote that way in state elections.

On the Kentucky side, we love and go crazy about Kentucky Basketball. Both areas have strong church culture. Both areas will shut down and roads will become hazardous if there is noteworthy winter weather (any ice what so ever, snow if the temperature is below 28F, or over 2 inches of snow at any temperature).

Old 06-26-2019, 06:32 AM

Thanks for the info! I'm headed down for my in person interview on July 3rd. Hopefully I know what's going on after that. Looking at a few houses while I'm there as well, cant wait!

Old 07-04-2019, 07:18 PM

23 posts, read 17,938 times
By now, you're already a bit familiar with the area. Guthrie is a sleepy little town but Clarksville and Russellville are both nearby. Russellville has a population of around 7000 and has been in a slow decline for 20 years. There's nothing that's really bad about it, but there's nothing that says, "You'll love life in Russellville" unless you like old historic homes. It's just there. I grew up there and moved away in 1995.

It depends on how you look at these things. I'd probably opt for Russellville if placed in the same situation. Here's why:

a) approximately a half-hour commute.
b) it's not a large town, but you have WalMart, several fast food restaurants, a couple of other groceries if you don't like WM, a full service hardware store, a hospital, and so forth. The basics.
c) anything you would need that's not in Russellville can be found in Clarksville or Bowling Green (30 minutes away). BG has a population nearing 70k and is still growing. You're also an hour from the metro Nashville area.

The area is laid back. Most people are easy to deal with. I worked in Syracuse NY and lived in Baldwinsville for a while. If you're familiar with that area, it's like that except that people here are way more easygoing and friendly. Some of the public behavior I saw on a regular basis in SYR would be rare in this area.

Hope your interview went well.

Old 07-09-2019, 10:55 PM

Thanks so much for you're info! The interview went well and I got the job! But due to the lack of housing we are looking at a place about 12 mins NW of hopkinsville. It will be about a 40 min commute but its country and private. Hope the home inspection goes well and we can get this thing moving. I have to start work August 12th. Very much looking forward to living in the south. I am definitely familiar with the bville area though. I currently live north of fulton so I'm about 20 mins away from that area you were in
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or