U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2019, 07:30 PM

29 posts, read 32,329 times

Advertisements

We currently live in the Northern VA area and work in and around the DC area. I am looking at starting a new job later this year or early 2019, which is situated near Ft. Mitchell, KY. I was advised I could live on either side, i.e. the Northern, KY side or the Cincinnati, OH side. This may be a permanent move for 10 years or more, who knows maybe retirement.

We have 3 kids, 8,6,3. My oldest is also competitive gymnastics. My wife is in the medical field.

Please share with me your thoughts why we should choose the Northern KY side, and which part i.e. based on schools, area, opportunities, family life, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2019, 06:50 AM

2,097 posts, read 1,717,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noahzarc1 View Post
We currently live in the Northern VA area and work in and around the DC area. I am looking at starting a new job later this year or early 2019, which is situated near Ft. Mitchell, KY. I was advised I could live on either side, i.e. the Northern, KY side or the Cincinnati, OH side. This may be a permanent move for 10 years or more, who knows maybe retirement.

We have 3 kids, 8,6,3. My oldest is also competitive gymnastics. My wife is in the medical field.

Please share with me your thoughts why we should choose the Northern KY side, and which part i.e. based on schools, area, opportunities, family life, etc.
Traffic going into Cincy from N.KY is awful at the usual times, and roadwork is always going on in that area. You'd be saving yourself a headache with the commute from the start. A good friend of mine has a family in N.KY and loves it.

I know the Edgewood area is very nice, and has been ranked highly in reviews & articles. Fort Thomas is where my buddy lives, it's also a nice area. Also try Bellevue, Edgewood, Villa Hills, Park Hills, and Highland Heights. For your wife in the medical field, there are A LOT of hospitals and such in the area, she should have no issues finding something

I don't spend a ton of time there, but hopefully this can help get you started

Old 05-29-2019, 11:26 AM

8,367 posts, read 4,650,590 times
All the amenities of Cincinnati, but lower crime rate.

Old 05-29-2019, 07:11 PM

550 posts, read 399,319 times
Which license plate do you like the best? All joking aside, the two areas are basically the same. NKY is simply an extension of Cincinnati.

Some key differences to keep in mind...personal property tax is higher in KY so when you register a vehicle you will pay a 6% tax to do so on the value of the vehicle.

Auto Insurance rates are significantly higher in KY compared to Ohio.
Gas is usually cheaper in KY.

Old 05-29-2019, 08:05 PM

6,157 posts, read 6,839,467 times
Far better off in Northern KY, if you can locate somewhere that you will be able to drive to work without using the interstate it would be worth it, I-71/75 is a lot worse than I-275.

Old 05-29-2019, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnInTheMil View Post
Traffic going into Cincy from N.KY is awful at the usual times, and roadwork is always going on in that area. You'd be saving yourself a headache with the commute from the start. A good friend of mine has a family in N.KY and loves it.

I know the Edgewood area is very nice, and has been ranked highly in reviews & articles. Fort Thomas is where my buddy lives, it's also a nice area. Also try Bellevue, Edgewood, Villa Hills, Park Hills, and Highland Heights. For your wife in the medical field, there are A LOT of hospitals and such in the area, she should have no issues finding something

I don't spend a ton of time there, but hopefully this can help get you started
Thank you very much for the reply. My wife and I read it together, and it was very helpful. We are going to research the areas you suggested.

Old 05-29-2019, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KY_Transplant View Post
Which license plate do you like the best? All joking aside, the two areas are basically the same. NKY is simply an extension of Cincinnati.

Some key differences to keep in mind...personal property tax is higher in KY so when you register a vehicle you will pay a 6% tax to do so on the value of the vehicle.

Auto Insurance rates are significantly higher in KY compared to Ohio.
Gas is usually cheaper in KY.
Thanks, ha ha, yes I've heard this quite a bit i.e. "pick a license plate." Taxes are a good consideration and I think we're trying to figure out which schools are the best. Thanks for the reply

Old 06-29-2019, 08:50 AM

1 posts, read 437 times
Default Definitely NKY

Strongly consider NKY vs Cinti fo following reasons: Property taxes considerably lower, less traffic, close proximity to airport, all major highways intersect in NKY, good schools, low crime, downtown Cinti is very close, & you can get anywhere in Cinti from NKY quicker than from within Cinti. All of these benefits & more with access to all of Cinti events & amenities: major league teams, museums, great food, shopping, festivals,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or