U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2019, 12:15 PM

9,105 posts, read 5,194,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Interesting dichotomy

In the Kentucky Governor’s Race, It’s an Unpopular Man vs. an Unpopular Party

“This is not a normal governor’s race. We’ve got an abnormal governor.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/01/u...-kentucky.html
The main bone of contention with Bevin is that he was from another state, and one in the north. For the south -- and Kentucky in particular -- never got over losing the Civil War. The terms Yankee (as in "go home") and carpetbagger and the crime of being "not from here" (clan mentality) along with his tendency to speak bluntly and without sugar-coating the truth as northerners do, as opposed to southerners with their "hospitality" BS (and, yes, the teachers were "ignorant" of the details of the pension bill, which is not synonymous with "stupid," which they accused him of calling them, but you'd have to be halfway intelligent to understand that distinction, and obviously they collectively aren't) earned him the ire of the majority of Kentuckians by a narrow margin. It was tribal, personal, and emotional. They now have a very polite southern gentleman in office who, like his daddy before him (or along with his daddy; I think this will actually be Steve's third term in office), will again rob them blind, but hey, at least he'll do it with a smile!

https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-...board-members/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2019, 01:06 PM

8,219 posts, read 13,706,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
The main bone of contention with Bevin is that he was from another state, and one in the north. For the south -- and Kentucky in particular -- never got over losing the Civil War. The terms Yankee (as in "go home") and carpetbagger and the crime of being "not from here" (clan mentality) along with his tendency to speak bluntly and without sugar-coating the truth as northerners do, as opposed to southerners with their "hospitality" BS (and, yes, the teachers were "ignorant" of the details of the pension bill, which is not synonymous with "stupid," which they accused him of calling them, but you'd have to be halfway intelligent to understand that distinction, and obviously they collectively aren't) earned him the ire of the majority of Kentuckians by a narrow margin. It was tribal, personal, and emotional. They now have a very polite southern gentleman in office who, like his daddy before him (or along with his daddy; I think this will actually be Steve's third term in office), will again rob them blind, but hey, at least he'll do it with a smile!

"and, yes, the teachers were "ignorant" of the details of the pension bill, which is not synonymous with "stupid," which they accused him of calling them, but you'd have to be halfway intelligent to understand that distinction, and obviously they collectively aren't)"

The teachers understood every single word of what Mr. Bevin said, and he called them a little more than "ignorant".

"During the past two years, Bevin has continued to insult teachers. In April 2018, he accused teachers of leaving children vulnerable to sexual assault and drug use during the statewide walkout. “I guarantee you somewhere in Kentucky today, a child was sexually assaulted that was left at home because there was nobody there to watch them,” he said. “Children were harmed — some physically, some sexually, some were introduced to drugs for the first time — because they were vulnerable and left alone.”
A year later, he suggested that teachers were to blame for the shooting of a 7-year-old girl, who was at home during another round of teacher “sick-outs” in March. She was reportedly being cared for by her legal guardian when she was accidentally shot by her 11-year-old brother.

And during a gubernatorial debate last month, Bevin doubled down once again, saying he regretted none of his previous comments about educators."
https://time.com/5719885/matt-bevin-...cher-protests/

Of course, in your eyes, I guess he said nothing wrong? I'm not going to give my opinion of Mr. Bevin. I've been raised to be kind to dumb animals.

Old 12-11-2019, 01:07 PM

10,998 posts, read 9,230,561 times
Quote:

There's a very big difference between expressing oneself "bluntly", and in being downright rude and insulting, and it has nothing to do with being from any particular state or area of the country.
Bad manners and disrespect transcend geographic lines.

Bevin conducted himself like a jerk way too many times, and insulting teachers and other professionals working for state and city funded organizations - police, fire, highway construction, even public librarians, for goodness' sake! - did not go down well with Kentuckians, and Andy Beshear's election to the governorship has much to do with that. It was Bevin's consistent lack of respect and rudeness towards those he was supposed to serve that cost him the election, not his Northern roots. BTW, Kentucky is a border state, not a purely Southern state. Kentucky has characteristics of both North and South, but rudeness and plain old hatefulness are not welcome here.

I first met the senior Beshears many years ago, separately, in high school and college. They are both good people. Their son has good parents, was an effective Attorney General, and should be a good governor - if the Republican legislature will allow him to be.

Everyone seems to be on good terms and seeking common ground at present, here in Kentucky, much to the relief of most Kentuckians.

So, you might want to take a closer look at current conditions here on the ground in Kentucky. They are far removed from your narrative.

Last edited by CraigCreek; 12-11-2019 at 01:16 PM..

Old 12-11-2019, 01:09 PM

"Kentucky has characteristics of both North and South, but rudeness and plain old hatefulness is not welcome here."

Interesting that "yankee" and "carpetbagger" and "not from here" and "not a Kentuckian" was so often heard, along with truly rude and hateful (nearly hysterical) invectives against Bevin -- far worse than any he issued against teachers or anyone else... Pot, meet kettle...

Old 12-11-2019, 01:22 PM

Quote:
"Kentucky has characteristics of both North and South, but rudeness and plain old hatefulness is not welcome here."

Interesting that "yankee" and "carpetbagger" and "not from here" and "not a Kentuckian" was so often heard, along with truly rude and hateful invectives against Bevin -- far worse than any he issued against teachers or anyone else. Pot, meet kettle...
You think these terms are comparable with accusing teachers of facilitating child sexual abuse??

Yes, Bevin was called a "carpetbagger". That doesn't have as much to do with origin as it does with behavior: someone from outside who seeks power elsewhere for his or her own benefit rather than for the benefit of the natives and residents. Goes back to Reconstruction, when northerners on the make came south with all their worldly possessions in a carpetbag, in order to take monetary and/or political advantage of unstable post-war conditions, for their own advancement. The term was used about Bevin with considerable irony, as he was widely viewed as having political asperations far beyond Kentucky, which he gave every indication of using as a stepping-stone to higher - national - office.

Btw, are you a Kentuckian, either by birth, residency, or affiliation? How much time have you spent here?

You are describing a place and people whom I don't recognize (I am a native Kentuckian and have lived here all but four years of my adult life).

Old 12-11-2019, 01:28 PM

"Btw, are you a Kentuckian, either by birth, residency, or affiliation?"

They should probably put that in the oath of office since it's so vital.

Old 12-11-2019, 11:00 PM

Quote:
"Btw, are you a Kentuckian, either by birth, residency, or affiliation?"

They should probably put that in the oath of office since it's so vital.
So, no reply to my query about your personal connection, experience, or other direct familiarity with Kentucky, or lack thereof.

Usually one's opinions are more accurate when one is familiar with the topic through personal experience. I seldom comment on state politics in states with which I lack such familiarity or connection. I may comment on scenery, good places to visit, dine, stay overnight, tourist attractions, and so on in other states - but politics? Nope.

Exceptions might be states where I have a family connection: neither of my parents were Kentuckians by birth, but they each lived here for close to six decades. So I might very occasionally write about politics in their native states, where I still have relatives and where I have visited regularly over the years - but those exceptions are rare. I do not hesitate to comment about national politics - but I do generally limit my comments about state politics to my own state of birth and long-time residence, Kentucky. Seems like the reasonable and realistic approach to me.

Old 12-12-2019, 02:02 AM

The "Louisville Courier-Journal" did a little digging into the cases of the 400+ convicts Bevin pardoned on his last day in office.

I quote: "The beneficiaries included one offender convicted of raping a child, another who hired a hit man to kill his business partner, and third who killed his parents". The "Courier-Journal" goes on to report a fourth who threw her newborn into a cesspool.

So much for Bevin's concern for the safety of our state's children.

These are just a few of the over 400 convicts pardoned by Bevin. It was also reported that family members of one such "beneficiary" donated over $21,000 to Bevin's political campaign to help wipe out his personal debt acquired in his run for office. That beneficiary was another murderer. Wonder how the family of his victim feels? Wonder how the other victims and their family members feel about the freeing of these 400+criminals? At least it will partially assuage Kentucky's overcrowded prison problem... s/

No, I think Kentucky's voters got it right. Now I just hope our police and other law enforcement officials can keep us safe from those 400+ criminals Bevin has vindictively released upon us. I hope our General Assembly swiftly crafts a bill preventing future governors from pardoning such high-crime convicts. I have no doubt Andy Beshear would sign such a bill, which would certainly be for the benefit of the people of Kentucky.

Old 12-12-2019, 08:31 AM

912 posts, read 1,356,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
The "Louisville Courier-Journal" did a little digging into the cases of the 400+ convicts Bevin pardoned on his last day in office.

I quote: "The beneficiaries included one offender convicted of raping a child, another who hired a hit man to kill his business partner, and third who killed his parents". The "Courier-Journal" goes on to report a fourth who threw her newborn into a cesspool.

So much for Bevin's concern for the safety of our state's children.

These are just a few of the over 400 convicts pardoned by Bevin. It was also reported that family members of one such "beneficiary" donated over $21,000 to Bevin's political campaign to help wipe out his personal debt acquired in his run for office. That beneficiary was another murderer. Wonder how the family of his victim feels? Wonder how the other victims and their family members feel about the freeing of these 400+criminals? At least it will partially assuage Kentucky's overcrowded prison problem... s/

No, I think Kentucky's voters got it right. Now I just hope our police and other law enforcement officials can keep us safe from those 400+ criminals Bevin has vindictively released upon us. I hope our General Assembly swiftly crafts a bill preventing future governors from pardoning such high-crime convicts. I have no doubt Andy Beshear would sign such a bill, which would certainly be for the benefit of the people of Kentucky.
Agree Mr Creek....while unlike some, I can see the good Governor Bevin done, I can also see the bad and this was real real bad. And, I'm still not over the fact he gave giving away my State Park It would be too bad if little Andy took it back!!!

Oh, I forgot...I got a good chuckle on the comment you made about a friend in Frankfort that worked for State Government in a Non-Partisan position. I can assure you there ain't no State Government jobs in Frankfort that are non-partisan.

Old 12-12-2019, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogsrus View Post
Agree Mr Creek....while unlike some, I can see the good Governor Bevin done, I can also see the bad and this was real real bad. And, I'm still not over the fact he gave giving away my State Park It would be too bad if little Andy took it back!!!

Oh, I forgot...I got a good chuckle on the comment you made about a friend in Frankfort that worked for State Government in a Non-Partisan position. I can assure you there ain't no State Government jobs in Frankfort that are non-partisan.

Yes, this is a real outrage - vindictive towards the public, which would include Bevin voters as well as those who opposed him.

Yes, you are right that he did do a few good things - more attention given towards the foster-to-adopt program was needed. But overall, Bevin's impact was very negative. Glad he got the boot.

Levi Jackson-Formerly-State-Park is one of my favorites - I spoke with the park manager earlier this year about the changeover to local management. He said so far, it was going acceptably, but I could see areas of obvious neglect in the park's facilities, notably the very basic, sparsely equipped cabins just behind the nice group camp clubhouse, which was rebuilt following a fire about twenty-five or so years ago.

The unheated cabins, which are/were furnished only with multiple bunk beds with narrow mattresses (they did have electricity - no idea if it's still functional) are being left to fall down - demolition by neglect. There are no plans to replace the cabins, or to build a park lodge, or provide any other overnight accommodation other than camping.

This bad decision is discouraging groups whose members would like to stay there for weekend-long events from renting the group clubhouse, which means less income for the park, regardless of whether or not it is locally or state owned and operated now. Very frustrating.

As for my Frankfort friend, she is a Democrat but has made a career of serving whatever administration is in power and somehow manages to avoid expressing her feelings on the job. She is very, very relieved that Andy Beshear is now governor and is getting right to undoing what he can of the damage inflicted upon Kentucky by the jerkish Bevin.

I hope the Republican legislature continues to play nicely, but think many of them were also relieved at Bevin's departure, as they didn't want to be associated with his pettiness, and overtly awful words and demeanor, regardless of whether or not they supported his actions politically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky