U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2019, 11:28 AM

912 posts, read 1,352,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Yes, this is a real outrage - vindictive towards the public, which would include Bevin voters as well as those who opposed him.

Yes, you are right that he did do a few good things - more attention given towards the foster-to-adopt program was needed. But overall, Bevin's impact was very negative. Glad he got the boot.

Levi Jackson-Formerly-State-Park is one of my favorites - I spoke with the park manager earlier this year about the changeover to local management. He said so far, it was going acceptably, but I could see areas of obvious neglect in the park's facilities, notably the very basic, sparsely equipped cabins just behind the nice group camp clubhouse, which was rebuilt following a fire about twenty-five or so years ago.

The unheated cabins, which are/were furnished only with multiple bunk beds with narrow mattresses (they did have electricity - no idea if it's still functional) are being left to fall down - demolition by neglect. There are no plans to replace the cabins, or to build a park lodge, or provide any other overnight accommodation other than camping.

This bad decision is discouraging groups whose members would like to stay there for weekend-long events from renting the group clubhouse, which means less income for the park, regardless of whether or not it is locally or state owned and operated now. Very frustrating.

As for my Frankfort friend, she is a Democrat but has made a career of serving whatever administration is in power and somehow manages to avoid expressing her feelings on the job. She is very, very relieved that Andy Beshear is now governor and is getting right to undoing what he can of the damage inflicted upon Kentucky by the jerkish Bevin.

I hope the Republican legislature continues to play nicely, but think many of them were also relieved at Bevin's departure, as they didn't want to be associated with his pettiness, and overtly awful words and demeanor, regardless of whether or not they supported his actions politically.
I think the interest in the cabins you mentioned was directed over to the Feltner 4H camp which is part of Levi Jackson. A very nice and maintained facility. Governor Bevin has allotted millions of dollars toward rebuilding State Parks all over the State, I just couldn't understand why he gave away Levi Jackson (nearly 1000 acres). The reason in the beginning was lack of money to maintain it but, the next thing I hear is the millions of dollars for State Parks.....interesting?

As a 30+ year "former" employee of the State and dealing with several agencies through the years, I can relate to your friends deli-ma, always when the administration changed no matter the politics it was always a trying time until things settle down. I could elaborate on the years but, I'll just say patronage in State Government is alive and well especially when the Democrats are in.

If playing nicely means agreeing with the Democrats, I wouldn't hold my breath, the fact remains he's a Democrat and that don't set well with a LOT of Kentuckians (as the election results indicated). Killing babies, open borders, gun control, and gambling just to name a few issues that come to mind.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2019, 12:29 PM

8,195 posts, read 13,688,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogsrus View Post
Oh, I forgot...I got a good chuckle on the comment you made about a friend in Frankfort that worked for State Government in a Non-Partisan position. I can assure you there ain't no State Government jobs in Frankfort that are non-partisan.
Hogs, I worked for the state from 1982-2008. I was told not long after I started that in the earlier years some of the older employees worked there, if you were Democrat and a Republican governor was sworn in, you'd better get to the courthouse ASAP after the election to change your affiliation if you wanted to keep your job. Also, state employees were good for making political donations, but not of their own free will. A couple of them told me some one from the district office or Frankfort would come up and tell you they had you down for a $25 or $50 donation. And you didn't have a choice. You'd notice it in deductions in your next check. Glad it wasn't that way when I worked there.

Old 12-14-2019, 12:23 PM

1,353 posts, read 1,442,151 times
This Bevin guy and his exit from his position by pardoning serious criminals is one of the most disgusting acts that I have ever heard of in politics. Whoever voted for this guy, McConnell and that other guy need to rethink their party over principal voting habits.

Old 12-14-2019, 01:12 PM

I wouldn't vote for Bevin or Moscow Mitch if my life depended on it

Old 12-14-2019, 01:30 PM

8,367 posts, read 4,650,590 times
He pardoned several people that I can't begin to believe that he Pardoned, including several Murderers.
I can't believe he pardoned that man who decapitated that woman.

https://www.wymt.com/content/news/Be...566198361.html

Old 12-14-2019, 03:07 PM

8,367 posts, read 4,650,590 times
Quote:
In all, the former governor signed off on 428 pardons and commutations since his loss to Democrat Andy Beshear, according to The Courier-Journal. The paper notes, "The beneficiaries include one offender convicted of raping a child, another who hired a hit man to kill his business partner and a third who killed his parents."
npr
I mean....is he just trying to be mean and evil at this point?

Old 12-14-2019, 05:46 PM

I think it's his version of a kid laying in the floor kicking and holding their breath till they get their way since he lost

Old 12-15-2019, 05:18 AM

15,883 posts, read 11,694,158 times
Wow.......... any doubts I had about not voting for him flew out the door when I heard about some of these pardons. Nice to know a get-out-of-jail-free card costs under $22,000.

This was truly ugly.

Old 12-15-2019, 02:41 PM

11,004 posts, read 9,212,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
I mean....is he just trying to be mean and evil at this point?
"Spiteful" comes to mind, a term which includes mean, petty, and vindictive. But for a move which may well cause additional violent losses of innocent lives - "spiteful" seems a tad mild.

One weirdly positive thing which may emerge from this is that Republican leaders of the Kentucky General Assembly are also condemning Bevin's action, just as are the Democrats. But that's a pretty sorry thing about which to find common ground.

Actually, I think reasonable and ethical people of either party would be hard-pressed to support this sort of dangerous idiocy.

Hope Bevin moves out of Kentucky asap, but I feel sorry for wherever he next lands.

Old 12-15-2019, 09:15 PM

15,883 posts, read 11,694,158 times
Look at Bevin, unifying the state.
Quote:
Senate President Robert Stivers has requested that the U.S. Attorney’s office open an investigation into controversial pardons issued by former Gov. Matt Bevin in his final days in office, even as a Republican lawmaker proposed placing limits on when a governor can issue a pardon.

“From what we know of former Governor Bevin’s extreme pardons and commutations, the Senate Republican Majority condemns his actions as a travesty and perversion of justice,” said Stivers, R-Manchester. “Our citizens, and especially the crime victims and their families, deserve better.”

Read more here: https://www.kentucky.com/news/politi...#storylink=cpy
What a nasty, vindictive twit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky