U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2020, 03:53 PM

7,333 posts, read 5,128,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post

Kentucky has been historically treated like a colony when it comes to privately owned extractive industries, and its people have been left to bear the resulting burdens of a ravaged environment and depleted economy.

Sadly, the "robber barons" were not just a late 19th century phenomenon. Their descendants are alive and well and still robbers.
And the state is still being treated as a colony. The ordinary people who live here have been shafted, conned, lied to, cheated, and bullied for so many generations by the old money and the politicians who are employed by the old money, they don't even think twice about it. They just assume it's the way it's supposed to be, the natural order of things.

This is the 6th state I've lived in, and I've never seen a culture that is so passive, so compliant, and so willing to let themselves be used and disposed of like so many empty soda bottles. I'm just amazed at the things people put up with here from their government and the regional industries, because it never seems to occur to them that they actually have options.

It's very, very sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2020, 03:54 PM

9,062 posts, read 5,173,291 times
But the teachers (now "educators") are being treated like royalty by the newly crowned king while the rest of the state workers remain surfs. So there's that!

Old 02-28-2020, 03:18 PM

11,004 posts, read 9,212,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
But the teachers (now "educators") are being treated like royalty by the newly crowned king while the rest of the state workers remain surfs. So there's that!
Serfs. Kentucky is a completely inland state, or rather, commonwealth. No surf or "surfs" here.

What was that about teachers, now, again?

Old 03-06-2020, 01:15 PM

912 posts, read 1,352,699 times
https://www.wkyt.com/content/news/St...568545601.html

No $2,000 raise for teachers....what? But....But.....he promised!!! That sorry no good piece of crap lied to us. HaHaHa

Business as usual here in the ol Commonwealth.

But, if we are lucky, we'll find another carpetbagger, because it's evident that the good ol boys from around here can't be trusted.

Fact is too many people in Kentucky can't handle the truth or refuse to see it for their own personal gain. Hard questions require hard answers. Why has Kentucky Education been in the crapper for so long?

Reckin the teachers will take their vote back...they didn't get paid for it.

Old 03-06-2020, 08:51 PM

8,194 posts, read 13,688,653 times
Any teacher with any common sense should have known that, with a Democrat governor and Republican legislature, that raise wouldn't happen. I imagine a good bit of them voted for Beshear just to get rid of Bevin.

I may have posted this before but I heard a news commentator once tell it the way it should be, no matter what party the candidate is from. Instead of saying I will get the teachers this raise, or I will make Mexico pay for the wall, they should say if you elect me I promise I will work with the legislature all I can to get this bill passed. Very rarely have many candidates been able to do exactly what they said they were going to.

And I'm not trying to start anything with my Democrat and Republican promise. Was just giving an example from both sides.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky