U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2019, 02:37 AM

23 posts, read 10,356 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

So I've been offered a position in Bowling Green KY that I really can't refuse, however, having looking at properties online I'm not sure the area is right for what I'm looking, I'll be renting and will have $2500-$3000 a month to spend, what neighbourhoods would you recommend for me to look at that are commutable, maximum 45min-1hr drive? I've struggled to find anything and was even considering Nashville but that's 60+ miles away and I think that could get very boring doing the trip everyday.

Thanks

SC
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2019, 05:16 AM

17,195 posts, read 12,438,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salad19 View Post
Hi guys,

So I've been offered a position in Bowling Green KY that I really can't refuse, however, having looking at properties online I'm not sure the area is right for what I'm looking, I'll be renting and will have $2500-$3000 a month to spend, what neighbourhoods would you recommend for me to look at that are commutable, maximum 45min-1hr drive? I've struggled to find anything and was even considering Nashville but that's 60+ miles away and I think that could get very boring doing the trip everyday.

Thanks

SC
That is a lot of money for the area. A whole lot. And, yes, that commute would get old very quickly.

What exactly are you look for? Knowing that would help people answer your question.

Old 07-10-2019, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
That is a lot of money for the area. A whole lot. And, yes, that commute would get old very quickly.

What exactly are you look for? Knowing that would help people answer your question.
Hi, thanks for the quick response

Looking for preferably a 3+bed house that is in a upmarket neighbourhood, I don't want to be out in the middle of nowhere on my own.

Ideally there would be enough evening entertainment such as bars, restaurants to keep me entertained, (im in my early 20's) and good road links so I could easily travel to nearby cities/airports for weekends. Also a big fan of sports so any local sports teams would be a bonus.

For the past 4 months I have been driving 450+miles a week for work so I guess I'd want to be within 50 miles of Bowling Green.

I won't be moving until early next year but I'm coming from abroad so need plenty of time to plan.

Thanks

SC

Old 07-10-2019, 08:00 PM

17,195 posts, read 12,438,807 times
Here’s the thing - Bowling Green IS the big city within an hour radius. On the plus side though, Bowling Green has the distinction of having one of the higher restaurant per capita ratios in the nation - it is a test area for certain types of chains wanting to go national, for some reason I have never understood. Also, as a college town, it has a decent social life offering for someone in their 20’s or 30’s. The nearest true large city is Nashville and, because of the number of people commuting from Bowling Green to work in Nashville, some classify Bowling Green as an exburb of Nashville. Commuting from Nashville to work in Bowling Green is much rarer. The cost-of-living is significantly less in Bowling Green and people can easily get their big city fix by visiting Nashville on the weekends. There are a number of small/medium cities within a less than hour commute but if you are concerned Bowling Green might not offer enough socially, they definitely won’t. You aren’t going to find a walkable urban social hub in many places around Bowling Green, with the nearest places outside of Nashville being Louisville, KY or Evansville, IN (both of which are about 2 hours away) or to a lesser extent Lexington, KY or Paducah, KY (both about 2 1/2 hours away) neither of which has an urban flare by almost anyone’s definition.

If you were to decide on Nashville, which I personally wouldn’t subject myself to, you’ll want to make sure you go to one of the northwest suburbs because the highways directly surrounding Nashville are notorious for clogging up. Hopefully, one of the regular posters more familiar with the BG area will chime in and can give you useable advice.

Old 07-11-2019, 12:19 AM

Having now done more research on Bowling Green it’s starting to grow on me, my original hesitation to going there was simply by looking at the size of the place, I’ve spent most of my life in a city of 1m+ people in the UK and moving to a town of 60,000 people in the middle of America did concern me that it might feel isolated, but I guess on working days this wouldn’t be noticeable and as you say on the weekends I can make trips to nearby “big” cities.

Old 07-15-2019, 08:42 AM

898 posts, read 728,751 times
Bowling Green is a nice college town. There are communities in BG which are gated so you might consider those to be “upscale”. Look for something around Rivergreen Lane.

Old 07-15-2019, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashfearless View Post
Bowling Green is a nice college town. There are communities in BG which are gated so you might consider those to be “upscale”. Look for something around Rivergreen Lane.
Thanks for your help 👍

Old 07-17-2019, 12:34 AM

11,816 posts, read 9,736,637 times
In addition to the various pluses and minuses already mentioned, you'll be right in the middle of cave country in Bowling Green, with Mammoth Cave National Park just a short distance up I-65. The park has much more than the world's longest cave - actually, it has several caves, plus miles of hiking trails, lush green forests, wildlife, and canoeing and kayaking on the Green River. Nearby are many other caves, each with its special features and qualities. There's one right in Bowling Green itself, actually - Lost River Cave.

If you enjoy the natural world, you'll be right at home in cave country.

And don't forget the famous cave-in at the Corvette Museum in Bowling Green! Thankfully, it occurred when the museum was closed, and although several 'vettes took the plunge, all were extracted, some were fully restored (you can see what happened to the others), and the museum made the best of a difficult situation and drew in many more visitors than ever before while repairs were underway.

Old 08-24-2019, 08:15 AM

2,084 posts, read 6,263,724 times
Are you looking to buy or rent? That is a lot of money to spend/month in BG. You can spend 1/2 that and be in a nice, convenient neighborhood in the center of town. The “upscale” neighborhoods that I know of would seem like an odd fit for a person in their early 20s IMO. There are some nice older neighborhoods in the downtown area but you have to be careful because as you get closer to campus they can become primarily college students, think house parties. But hey you might like that. I have always liked the neighborhoods around Potter Gray and TC Cherry elementary schools. They are just adjacent to the center of town, very mature, well kept neighborhoods with big trees. I would live in BG and go to Nashville when you want the big city. If you did consider Nashville, you would at least be go against the traffic flow. I would never choose to subject myself to 2hrs of driving 5x per week. But I hate long commutes.

Old 09-07-2019, 10:01 AM

27,070 posts, read 26,345,069 times
my suggestion is to rent first.....then when your settled in and know the area pretty good, go and look for a home....

it is a big mistake to buy first, b/c you might buy a home somewhere that isn't the best neighborhood...educate yourself first.

also, when renting always call the police department and ask which apartments have the less police calls....explain to them that you are moving to the area and renting first, so you would like some advice as to the safest apartments. Less rent is not always the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky