Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2019, 05:17 PM

17,342 posts, read 11,281,227 times

Advertisements

This is published by Bankrate taking into consideration cost of living, crime, weather, among other important factors. When put all together KY came out in 6th place doing better than TN and other states many people are retiring to. Not too bad.

https://www.bankrate.com/retirement/...or-retirement/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2019, 07:55 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,358,250 times
This link shows state by state, how long will $500,000 last in any state. Quite a range from 5 years and a few months to 11 years and a few months. Wisconsin is the midpoint at 10 years and 3 months.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/reti...cid=spartanntp

Old 07-15-2019, 07:51 PM

1,012 posts, read 1,119,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
This is published by Bankrate taking into consideration cost of living, crime, weather, among other important factors. When put all together KY came out in 6th place doing better than TN and other states many people are retiring to. Not too bad.

https://www.bankrate.com/retirement/...or-retirement/
Well, the way that I tell this list is bogus is the ranking on weather. With FL = 2, and LA = 3. Humidity anyone? No way.

Old 07-15-2019, 07:53 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,966,169 times
and hurricanes

Old 07-16-2019, 07:33 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Since my mom is nearing retirement and wants to move back to Virginia after working in KY, I pointed out to her that Kentucky has an exemption for her military pension from tax which Virginia (which finished 39th on that list, deservedly so IMO) does not. Financially, Kentucky is a smarter option to retire, she just flat out don’t want to be there.

Old 07-16-2019, 04:37 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,542,940 times
Back in the late 80s/early 90s, Murray and the Kentucky Lake area was Rand McNalley's top retirement place in the country. Still a lot of folks retiring to the lakes area

Old 07-18-2019, 06:05 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Since my mom is nearing retirement and wants to move back to Virginia after working in KY, I pointed out to her that Kentucky has an exemption for her military pension from tax which Virginia (which finished 39th on that list, deservedly so IMO) does not. Financially, Kentucky is a smarter option to retire, she just flat out don’t want to be there.
While finances are very important in considering where to retire, it is not the only consideration. We made the reverse move of your mother in preparation to retire but finances, while part of the equation, were not the main consideration. That said, we have been very pleasantly surprised by just how much cheaper living here is, the 50 cents here, 25 cents there, nickle here really add up - in addition to the tax break on pension.

Old 07-18-2019, 02:12 PM

5 posts, read 6,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
While finances are very important in considering where to retire, it is not the only consideration. We made the reverse move of your mother in preparation to retire but finances, while part of the equation, were not the main consideration. That said, we have been very pleasantly surprised by just how much cheaper living here is, the 50 cents here, 25 cents there, nickle here really add up - in addition to the tax break on pension.
The military pension part is interesting as my wife has a military pension. How does KY treat social security payments? Are they taxed at the state level?

Old 07-18-2019, 03:08 PM

17,342 posts, read 11,281,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMountainResident View Post
The military pension part is interesting as my wife has a military pension. How does KY treat social security payments? Are they taxed at the state level?
KY exempts Social Security income.

https://smartasset.com/retirement/ke...xes#T6cAYfySIq

Old 07-19-2019, 11:35 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I get where you are coming from. I just think she has a situation that fits her needs now and I’d be lying if I didn’t have concerns about her moving back because of crime and COL. She ruled out returning to our previous part of VA (Hampton/Norfolk) because of issues with crime there, which I think was a good decision. She is in a place where money is not an issue at all and crime is much lower in Kentucky than metro DC. I know safe doesn’t necessarily mean fun or desirable. It is her decision, she’s earned it for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
View detailed profiles of: