Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2019, 10:28 PM

7 posts, read 9,107 times

Advertisements

It's all been said before, so I won't prattle on about CA. As retired conservatives, we are looking for a conservative state that meets our needs. We are looking to put our home on the market in Spring of 2020. Homes in the $150k to $225k range (we will have to have a mortgage) will be our target. We're cat people and would like a quiet, rural setting with approximately 2 to 10 acres and would prefer the Cumberland Lake area, but won't now that for sure until we visit a couple of times (once in the winter and once in the summer). It's been said that the healthcare in Kentucky is not as good as other places, but there are always trade-offs to any big decision. We want to become part of the community and assimilate into the local culture as if we'd always been there - no desire to make KY into CA. Any input would be appreciated. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2019, 11:23 PM

14,663 posts, read 7,967,212 times
Hi! Welcome to the Kentucky forums here at City Data.
Cat people are always welcome!!!!!!!

The Cumberland Lake/Cumberland Falls area is one of the prettiest in Kentucky.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAZDRhf21gM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hv6uvngETE

I live in Lexington and we have excellent health care. So does Louisville, Nashville, Cincinnati, and others I am sure.
There are many rural areas in Kentucky, and many small towns that are basically bedroom communities or almost suburbs of the cities (while retaining their own unique identity.)
Visiting is good...there are many rural areas of the state, and sometimes they each have their own unique "feel" so it is always good to check it out before making a move. Home prices, taxes, health care options can vary drastically depending on which part of the state that you are relocating to.
If you are retired you probably aren't looking for employment, but I am sure that you want to be close to some basic amenities like groceries, etc.
There are many places in the state that would probably fit your bill.

Good luck in hunting down a place. Give a yell, if I can help in any other way, or answer any other questions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NI58YTsmVko

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kLu...617FE8D4847F29

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olG9RZVKQG0

Old 07-22-2019, 12:29 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,334,810 times
Any particular areas around Lake Cumberland? I lived down there as a child, know area pretty well

Old 07-22-2019, 01:24 PM

406 posts, read 860,366 times
I suppose the question is healthcare. You reference healthcare in your posting. Is that something really important to you and what kind of healthcare would you need. (Some of the hospitals around here seem to informally specialize). Also will you want to travel to larger communities (Lexington, Knoxville, Nashville and Louisville) on a regular basis?

Old 07-28-2019, 06:46 PM

7 posts, read 9,107 times
Monticello, Somerset, Russell Springs, Jamestown, anywhere around the lake.

Old 08-16-2019, 08:23 AM

421 posts, read 150,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollinger View Post
I live in Somerset, and I love it here.

For me, the town is a perfect size. Not too big, not too small, and it's easy to find rural areas with one lane curvy roads if you like that sort of thing.

The best hospitals around are in Lexington.

Old 08-16-2019, 08:48 AM

406 posts, read 860,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollinger View Post
Sorry, I missed this earlier. Of the four, Somerset would be my choice. It's the largest of the four mentioned and has the most options and amenities available. The other three towns mentioned actually view Somerset as the place to go. It also has an airport which in the recent past had passenger service (Not sure if it does now- If it doesn't there are other airports that are in a reasonable distance)The road network is not too bad, even though Somerset is not directly on an interstate highway and you can be in a larger city in a reasonable amount of time.

There is a hospital in Somerset, but I don't know that much about it. For more in depth medical coverage and complex issues, medical care is obtained in one of the nearby larger cities (Knoxville, Lexington, Louisville and Nashville)

Old 08-16-2019, 09:17 AM

421 posts, read 150,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxmagex View Post
There is a hospital in Somerset, but I don't know that much about it. For more in depth medical coverage and complex issues, medical care is obtained in one of the nearby larger cities (Knoxville, Lexington, Louisville and Nashville)
If you want to live, you don't go to the hospital in Somerset.

It's about a 25 minute drive to the interstate (I75). About an hour and 15 mins to Lexington.

Old 04-11-2020, 12:28 PM

3 posts, read 5,667 times
Hello Hollinger, my spouse and I are in a similar position as you - conservative northern Californians hoping to put our house on the market (next spring for us) and looking to explore possible areas to retire/semi-retire in southern KY. If you have received any further info, tips, suggestions, etc. (or first-hand experience by way of visits to that area) to your original inquiry here, and are willing to share, can you please let me know? Thank you very much!

Old 05-20-2020, 07:18 AM

19 posts, read 42,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debski123 View Post
Hello Hollinger, my spouse and I are in a similar position as you - conservative northern Californians hoping to put our house on the market (next spring for us) and looking to explore possible areas to retire/semi-retire in southern KY. If you have received any further info, tips, suggestions, etc. (or first-hand experience by way of visits to that area) to your original inquiry here, and are willing to share, can you please let me know? Thank you very much!
We left the Bay Area of California (Petaluma) in '95, spent 18 months in Iowa (second winter 27 below zero for a week!), moved to Ohio, and have been here since then. We are considering a move to KY. Our daughter went to Berea College for a year and we took trips down there to see her and really loved it. We too are conservatives so finding somewhere agreeable is a must.

We've been looking at east of Lexington for a couple of acres with small house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky