U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2006, 01:33 PM

3 posts, read 8,083 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are planning to retire in about a year, and we're looking most seriously at relocating from Maryland to Kentucky. I'm deaf and she's hearing but beginning to lose her hearing. One problem we're having with this site and others is the lack of information on which Kentucky places are "deaf-friendly"--that is, you can easily find sign language interpreters, go to movies that have been captioned for the deaf, find people friendly instead of rude to our deafness, etc., in addition to the other amenities that "hearing" retirees look for.

Danville is one obvious possibility, because of the state school for the deaf being there, but from a brief visit there, it doesn't appear that Danville has much for deaf adults as opposed to deaf school-age children. Does anyone out there know which Kentucky towns particularly appeal to deaf persons, and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2006, 07:09 PM

237 posts, read 783,199 times
Danville is a great city, and probably as 'deaf friendly' as any in Kentucky. You will of course encounter some people that do not understand you.
It should be not much different that Maryland, in my opinion.
I too plan to retire in Kentucky (about 14 years) but not in the city, we have some land on the green river. I am not deaf, but used to be a teacher at ASD (Alabama school for deaf).
You will enjoy the beauty of the land and the seasons. Its been a few years since I've been in Danville but have nothing but great memories of it.
I would go for it!

Digger~

Old 12-24-2006, 09:18 AM

947 posts, read 2,864,000 times
Having visited Danville (KY) couple of times while still living in Tennessee. I would say, yeah, Danville is a deaf-friendly town. But If you want to be close to the larger deaf population, then either Louisville or Lexington would be the one for you and your wife.

If d/Deaf culture is very important to you and your wife, then Maryland is the one. Frederick, Maryland is what the d/Deaf considered the capital/hub/center of d/Deaf culture in the United States.

Old 12-24-2006, 05:53 PM

5 posts, read 17,368 times
I am a social work policy analyst in Kentucky and the other individuals are correct that in Kentucky, Danville is the place. The Kentucky School For The Deaf (k-12) is in Danville and therefore there is a large population of that community that is friendly to the hearing impaired. I have several friends in Danville and am there all the time (play poker on the weekends :-) While not anywhere the size of Lexington, it has good shopping/restuarants, etc for a smaller type of town but is close enough to Lexington if you need to go to a larger metro area for anything. If you move to Kentucky, I think that Danville would meet your needs. While I am not sure of some of the things you were looking for,go to movies that have been captioned for the deaf, etc., I would recommend that you contact the school for the deaf there in Danville http://www.ksd.k12.ky.us/ and I am sure they could provide more details and contacts to local resources. Good luck.

Old 01-04-2007, 03:04 PM

3 posts, read 8,083 times
Default Thanks

Thanks to you repliers. My wife and I drove around central Kentucky during our holiday break, looking at about a dozen candidate towns, and speaking with the folks at the Kentucky Commission for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing (KCDHH, in the state capital of Frankfort). KCDHH is a GREAT resource for deaf people in Kentucky, and arguably the best state agency for the deaf in the whole country. But I digress.

While Danville is, as everyone has noted, a center for deaf people due to the presence of the state school for the deaf, we--and the folks, both deaf and hearing, in the KCDHH agree--feel the deaf adult people there are a bit too "grassroots" (meaning lower educational levels and less sophistication) for us, who have worked in a university environment for many years. This isn't snobbism, simply a question of who we feel most comfortable hanging around with--and that's the better-educated deaf (college graduates), who tend to be in and around the larger cities.

Best bet for us at present seems to be a band of terrain centered on I-64, running from Louisville on the west to and including Lexington on the east. There are several appealing smaller towns in that band and also around Lexington, but they are close enough to Danville that we can scoot down there in about half an hour to participate in any interesting deaf events there. They are also, via I-64, convenient to Frankfort, Lexington, and Louisville, which are where the better-educated deaf tend to be. We don't want to be actually in the bigger cities or their immediate suburbs, with their big-city problems and costs, but close enough to partake occasionally of their greater shopping opportunities and variety.

We know Frederick, MD, and agree it's a great place for deaf people. Alas, we won't be able to afford it on a limited retirement pension (it's part of the greater Washington, DC area, a very expensive area to live in). There are also geo-familial reasons for wanting to move to the Midwest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky