U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2019, 10:48 AM

7 posts, read 15,124 times

Advertisements

Where would you say the Louisville influence fades off with surrounding counties? Where does Lexington or Cincinnati begin to overlap. I understand what the census bureau considers the "Metro Area", but What about Carrollton? Frankfort?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2019, 10:54 AM

554 posts, read 402,696 times
Frankfort is an odd mix of Louisville and Lexington, but I would ay it is more connected to Lexington as it is closer and a lot of Lexington residents commute to The State Capital for employment.

On the other hand, Shelbyville, a bedroom community of Louisville, is also close to Frankfort and there is that influence as well. I lived in Frankfort and commuted to Louisville for work but also drove to Lexington for other things, etc.

Old 09-03-2019, 11:36 AM

10,439 posts, read 21,947,247 times
Louisville / Cincinnati cutoff seems pretty rigid, Carroll Co is heavily Louisville but Gallatin Co is heavily Cincinnati. The same seems true in Indiana for Jefferson Co vs Switzerland Co.

Louisville vs Lexington is a bit different because Louisville has things Lexington doesn't. For the things offered by both - like Trader Joe's, tier 1 trauma hospital, etc - someone in Frankfort goes to Lexington because it's half as far. But Louisville has a zoo, theme park, and museums that Lexington has none of. But far more people go to Lexington for college sports.

Old 09-03-2019, 06:01 PM

1,212 posts, read 1,034,342 times
My gut feel:

Louisville to Cincy - cutoff is LaGrange Exit on I-71. Anything else beyond there seems rural and not really associated with either major city.

Louisville to Lexington - I think the 2nd Shelbyville exit (Hwy 55) on I-64 is about the cutoff where beyond that it starts to feel less like Louisville - Frankfort is kind of its own entity but feels more tied to Lexington than Louisville, although that is starting to shift a bit at least from my narrow view because of the recent popularity of Buffalo Trace. I think more Louisvillians are traveling to Frankfort than ever before.

I think the Louisville "feel" extends further south on I-65 than anything, as I believe E-town to have more of a Louisville feel still, probably because there's still plenty of commuters into the city there.

You could probably also call anything south of Scottsburg, IN on the sunny side tied to Louisville as well, but with a Hoosier twist.

Old 09-03-2019, 10:44 PM

6,832 posts, read 14,414,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ServoMiff View Post
My gut feel:

Louisville to Cincy - cutoff is LaGrange Exit on I-71. Anything else beyond there seems rural and not really associated with either major city.

Louisville to Lexington - I think the 2nd Shelbyville exit (Hwy 55) on I-64 is about the cutoff where beyond that it starts to feel less like Louisville - Frankfort is kind of its own entity but feels more tied to Lexington than Louisville, although that is starting to shift a bit at least from my narrow view because of the recent popularity of Buffalo Trace. I think more Louisvillians are traveling to Frankfort than ever before.

I think the Louisville "feel" extends further south on I-65 than anything, as I believe E-town to have more of a Louisville feel still, probably because there's still plenty of commuters into the city there.

You could probably also call anything south of Scottsburg, IN on the sunny side tied to Louisville as well, but with a Hoosier twist.
West it goes to Corydon, In.

I disagree on Carrollton...its a bit closer to Louisville and definitely identifies with the city, and it is only 30 minutes to some very nice shopping like Costco and Paddock Shops for those folks.

Old 09-04-2019, 02:56 PM

8 posts, read 6,423 times
Carollton is Louisville, as is Madison. I would say also Vevay.

Beyond, Gallatin County and Warsaw are more Cincy.

I-64: Frankfort is Lex. Then you move into Louisville orbit in Shelby County.

Im curious where the transition would be on I-65. Somewhere south of Seymour?

Old 09-04-2019, 10:22 PM

6,832 posts, read 14,414,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_of_Lousiville View Post
Carollton is Louisville, as is Madison. I would say also Vevay.

Beyond, Gallatin County and Warsaw are more Cincy.

I-64: Frankfort is Lex. Then you move into Louisville orbit in Shelby County.

Im curious where the transition would be on I-65. Somewhere south of Seymour?
Even most in Seymour feel more comfortable with Louisville...The news reports on Seymour and it feels a bit “southern midwest “ there

Old 09-06-2019, 03:43 PM

1,212 posts, read 1,034,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Even most in Seymour feel more comfortable with Louisville...The news reports on Seymour and it feels a bit “southern midwest “ there
Generally this has to do with TV broadcasting areas. When you grow up with Louisville news only (the cutoff I believe is somewhere around Jackson County in Indiana, as I lived in Monroe which is just NW of Jackson for a bit and that was Indianapolis news) it might seem like you identify a bit with that area, but I challenge that a bit.

I don't think anyone in Seymour identifies with Louisville other than the TV news. I spent a lot of time in Seymour for a few years and if anything I'd call it a buffer area. It's poor and had similar problems that Southern Indiana has dealt with recently, but that's about the only commonality I really can come up with. It feels more like Ohio than Indiana or Kentucky, honestly.

Completely agree with Corydon being the western cutoff though. Just took my wife there a few weekends ago for her first time there and she was remarking at how quickly we got back home - she thought we were much further out - like Jasper or something.

Not sure about Carrollton - people might feel more in tune with Louisville today because of the shops in Prospect, but that's a very recent revelation in the overall history of the area.

I tend to lump an area in if they have a decent number of commuters into the city for work. If you're going into Jefferson/Oldham/Bullitt for work then you're likely to take a bit of the local culture back with you to your home county. I don't see that in Carroll County (avg commute time is 17.9 minutes according to the 2017 ACS), but all of Oldham? Sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky