U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2020, 03:57 PM

13,250 posts, read 6,266,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Don't retire in KY. Constantly bad weather most of the time, you had also better like constant rain and flooding a good chunk of the time.
That's a blanket statement. Annual rainfall in Nashville is 48" and Louisville is 45" from what I can find.
Weather and storm systems don't recognize state borders. It's not like you're going to cross over to TN and all of a sudden, the sky will be sunny without rain when a storm system is moving through that part of the country. KY isn't that large.
Temp difference on average for the year aren't all that different.
Nashville average temp is 59.25 and Louisville is 58.2 degrees. As you go south away from Louisville and into Southern Western KY, the weather differences of Nashville and Memphis are almost non existent with southern KY.

Last edited by marino760; 02-13-2020 at 04:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2020, 07:34 PM

549 posts, read 398,864 times
Quote:
Don't retire in KY. Constantly bad weather most of the time, you had also better like constant rain and flooding a good chunk of the time.
The weather is not much different in Tennessee compared to Kentucky. It has rained considerably across Tennessee the last three years from Memphis to all the way East to Johnson City.

Tennessee and Kentucky’s climate is almost identical other than it gets a bit colder in far Northern Kentucky compared to Tennessee...although East Tennessee gets its fair share of colder weather in the higher elevations and plateau.

Old 02-13-2020, 11:05 PM

7,488 posts, read 8,156,062 times
I live in East Tennessee (in the valley). Kentucky is significantly cooler in the winter than we are and they often get snow that we do not. I also believe there is more differences between KY and TN than people think. Kentucky is more rural, more backwoods. Tennessee has a stronger southern culture.....just a few examples.

Of course the biggest factor is the fact that our football team is better.....go VOLs.

All kidding aside anyone considering the two states should spend time in both. They are different and a lengthy visit for the OP would help them make a decision.

Old 02-14-2020, 04:44 AM

8,363 posts, read 4,648,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I live in East Tennessee (in the valley). Kentucky is significantly cooler in the winter than we are and they often get snow that we do not. I also believe there is more differences between KY and TN than people think. Kentucky is more rural, more backwoods. Tennessee has a stronger southern culture.....just a few examples.

Of course the biggest factor is the fact that our football team is better.....go VOLs.

All kidding aside anyone considering the two states should spend time in both. They are different and a lengthy visit for the OP would help them make a decision.

I agree. Opinions on this could vary, and opinions are that...opinions...not facts, so you should visit both several times at least before deciding. You might like one better than the other, it's hard to really say which.)

(Or you could choose a small town like Fulton...The north half of Fulton is in Kentucky and the south half of Fulton is in
Tennessee!!!!)

Old 02-14-2020, 06:39 AM

21,430 posts, read 37,659,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
That's a blanket statement. Annual rainfall in Nashville is 48" and Louisville is 45" from what I can find.
Weather and storm systems don't recognize state borders. It's not like you're going to cross over to TN and all of a sudden, the sky will be sunny without rain when a storm system is moving through that part of the country. KY isn't that large.
Temp difference on average for the year aren't all that different.
Nashville average temp is 59.25 and Louisville is 58.2 degrees. As you go south away from Louisville and into Southern Western KY, the weather differences of Nashville and Memphis are almost non existent with southern KY.
Annual rainfall for Louisville often isn't anywhere close to 45'' in many recent years, I've seen rainfall amounts over 63'' two years ago and that was southern Indiana. Also, Louisville temperatures are not representative of the area as the official weather station is surrounded by asphalt and concrete so outlying areas are substantially colder. I would prefer more snow and sunlight in the winter personally, but retirees should be aware that this area gets a sizable quantity of rain and clouds for large portions of the year other than summer.

Old 02-16-2020, 06:48 AM

15,880 posts, read 11,691,005 times
Quote:
Annual rainfall for Louisville often isn't anywhere close to 45'' in many recent years, I've seen rainfall amounts over 63'' two years ago and that was southern Indiana. Also, Louisville temperatures are not representative of the area as the official weather station is surrounded by asphalt and concrete so outlying areas are substantially colder. I would prefer more snow and sunlight in the winter personally, but retirees should be aware that this area gets a sizable quantity of rain and clouds for large portions of the year other than summer.
Very much depends on the part of Kentucky you are in. Kentucky has multiple very distinct weather patterns over of the state, including two in the Central Kentucky region and different ones in some corners. There is truly an almost magic line in Lexington around the Newtown Pike area where you can tell you are crossing from the one that comes out of Saint Louis/Western Kentucky and the one that comes up from Nashville. It always amazes me how much bitterer the cold is in Covington/Northern Kentucky area than where I live and how much more sedate the weather is when I go to Fort Campbell.

Old 02-18-2020, 09:30 PM

6,832 posts, read 14,400,527 times
Quote:
I have seen it all. Granite, why don't you move further north if you hate it here so much? Stats and averages are statistical facts. One year or three years of wet do not constitute normal.

The last 3 years have been an el nino (or la nina?) pattern so the ohio and Tn river valley areas have been warmer and wetter.

Like all climate, it will change. Louisville and Nashville have virtually identical weather when averaged over 150 years!

To the OP, if you are between Louisville and Nashville, I'd choose Louisville or its suburbs any day. Floyds Knobs, IN is beautiful, very low taxes, safe, and higher elevations so a bit cooler and sometimes more snow. Still an easy 20 min commute to downtown Louisville.

Old 02-19-2020, 04:55 AM

13,250 posts, read 6,266,453 times
Quote:
I also don't understand your rationalization. When Louisville received record amounts of rain in the last few years so did Nashville and Memphis and I'm willing to bet southern Ohio, and southern Indiana did as well. Yet you don't tell anyone not to move to those states, only KY.
Also, aren't all cities surrounded by asphalt and concrete including those in TN making them slightly warmer than surrounding green belts? There's nothing unique about Louisville in this regard.
You haven't stated anything that's unique regarding KY weather making it less desirable than bordering states yet you tell everyone not to move to KY because of the terrible weather. Many retirees have moved to TN and love it there even though the climate, humidity and weather patterns are very similar to large areas of KY. There are legitimate reasons why retirees would choose TN over KY including no state income tax in TN, but I don't see weather as being that significant.

Last edited by marino760; 02-19-2020 at 05:34 AM..

Old 02-19-2020, 05:41 AM

21,430 posts, read 37,659,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
I have seen it all. Granite, why don't you move further north if you hate it here so much? Stats and averages are statistical facts. One year or three years of wet do not constitute normal.

The last 3 years have been an el nino (or la nina?) pattern so the ohio and Tn river valley areas have been warmer and wetter.

Like all climate, it will change. Louisville and Nashville have virtually identical weather when averaged over 150 years!

To the OP, if you are between Louisville and Nashville, I'd choose Louisville or its suburbs any day. Floyds Knobs, IN is beautiful, very low taxes, safe, and higher elevations so a bit cooler and sometimes more snow. Still an easy 20 min commute to downtown Louisville.
I really find it hard to believe that Louisville and Nashville have virtually identical weather because of the difference in latitude alone. That seems strange. Yes, the entire Ohio Valley is trending much wetter over time as well. 7 of the wettest 10 years on record in Louisville have all occurred in the last 25 years, along with increasing temperatures in most seasons. The current winter is the 2nd or 3rd warmest in recorded history as well. Higher elevations away from the Ohio River are always preferred, I personally dislike being anywhere near a large river. And yes, I certainly will move back north eventually as I prefer lakes and snow any day of the week over heat and humidity.
With that being said, if I was forced to retire and could ONLY pick from KY or TN I would choose the Cumberland Plateau region of TN from east of Cookeville over to Monterrey.

Last edited by GraniteStater; 02-19-2020 at 06:22 AM..

Old 02-20-2020, 09:32 AM

15,880 posts, read 11,691,005 times
Just a reminder: this thread is about how Kentucky compares to Tennessee for retirees. It is not about any particular cities. Any future posts that are “City Battles” will be deleted as off topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky