U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2020, 07:51 AM

27,608 posts, read 20,598,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Like the major tornado in downtown Nashville this morning?
I would say that part of TN (and probably that part of KY) gets 5x-10x more tornadoes than the eastern part of the states. Even if we do get tornadoes this far east (and it does happen occasionally), they're usually weaker and cause far less damage.

I wouldn't avoid the areas out of a fear of tornadoes, but it is something folks need to be aware of and plan for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2020, 01:21 PM

8,307 posts, read 15,682,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
If you look at the overall state level crime rates, TN has a much higher crime rate overall than KY.
You do know that TN reports crime stats very different from most places: each part of a crime is reported, thereby increasing, almost doubling the actual crime rate. eg, B&E also includes the lesser crime of theft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I would say that part of TN (and probably that part of KY) gets 5x-10x more tornadoes than the eastern part of the states. Even if we do get tornadoes this far east (and it does happen occasionally), they're usually weaker and cause far less damage.

I wouldn't avoid the areas out of a fear of tornadoes, but it is something folks need to be aware of and plan for.
We retired to SW TN from NYC - I previously lived in NJ, RI, attended college in NE TN; he previously in NJ, PA, FL. We chose TN for its low property sales prices, low property taxes, rural/no neighbors. As for tornadoes, there have been 2 in our area in the last 7 years we've been here. The bigger areas for tornadoes are south (MS) and further west of us. Another reason we chose TN was climate - winters are short, not much snow. In fact, it's spring here already - daffodils were out before March 1, our fruit trees were budding then also. It's time to get the deck and pool ready for the early summer.

Old 03-03-2020, 02:16 PM

21,430 posts, read 37,659,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
TN will be as crowded as DFW in a few years. Nashville is the new Atlanta. Do you really want to retire to THAT?

Also with climate change, Louisville in 2040 will have the same weather as Nashville today (read, warm).
I’m not looking forward to any more warming, hopefully will be living much further north by then. With technology rapidly advancing and costs dramatically falling, I’m hoping rapid decarbonization will lead to less of adverse outcome. Otherwise, Louisville will have constant flood threats going forward in time.

Old 03-03-2020, 09:33 PM

27,608 posts, read 20,598,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
You do know that TN reports crime stats very different from most places: each part of a crime is reported, thereby increasing, almost doubling the actual crime rate. eg, B&E also includes the lesser crime of theft.

We retired to SW TN from NYC - I previously lived in NJ, RI, attended college in NE TN; he previously in NJ, PA, FL. We chose TN for its low property sales prices, low property taxes, rural/no neighbors. As for tornadoes, there have been 2 in our area in the last 7 years we've been here. The bigger areas for tornadoes are south (MS) and further west of us. Another reason we chose TN was climate - winters are short, not much snow. In fact, it's spring here already - daffodils were out before March 1, our fruit trees were budding then also. It's time to get the deck and pool ready for the early summer.
TN does report the stats differently. I understand this. With that said, TN is always making the "most violent" and "highest crime" types of lists on a per state basis. KY is almost never on those types of lists. Yes, inner city Memphis and Nashville account for a lot of those issues, but those issues extend to a point throughout the entire state. TN has a very violent and drug-heavy culture throughout the state.

I don't think the reporting differences alone account for the crime differences between TN and KY. TN is just higher across the board.

SW TN is not going to be attractive for many people. Too rural, too flat, too little to do.

Old 03-04-2020, 05:52 AM

10,386 posts, read 21,920,611 times
Generally Nashville and Louisville have same risk of tornadoes. Not sure how Louisville having a Nashville climate would help anything. People don't move to Nashville for the weather. It's marginally warmer in the winter with similar level of allergies and severe weather risk. They move there for amenities and business friendly tax code.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky