Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 08:39 AM

59 posts, read 228,420 times

Advertisements

What are the advantages/disadvantages to buying a vacation property on any of the Kentucky lakes? I'm trying to learn about issues such as water levels, prices, area economies, etc. I also realize that some lakes don't allow residential homes on the lakes at all - so these wouldn't work for us.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2008, 08:47 AM

2,926 posts, read 8,569,432 times
Hmm, I can't seem to be able to come up with any disadvantages.

Lake Cumberland in Somerset has some nice residential areas, especially Waitsboro Estates. The views are incredible and there's a golf course next door.

Old 04-17-2008, 09:04 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,464,896 times
Lake Cumberland certainly doesn't have any rules against lakefront subdivisions

Old 04-17-2008, 01:48 PM

But do they allow docks on Lake Cumberland? We would definitely want to be able to have a dock.

Old 04-17-2008, 02:15 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,569,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Periwinkle04 View Post
But do they allow docks on Lake Cumberland? We would definitely want to be able to have a dock.
Yes they do allow docks. There may be certain areas of the lake that don't however. The Villas at Woodson Bend does allow it I know that much.

Old 04-17-2008, 03:01 PM

216 posts, read 1,185,350 times
Herrington Lake in Harrodsburg is nice. You can build a dock (on the lots that have lake access) and there are several different neighborhoods. It's about a half hour to Lexington and ten minutes to Danville. Harrington Hills is a residential suburb on Harrington Lake where all lots are 2-3 acres and are ready to build on. There are some CC and R's, which keep the neighborhood nice. All utilities are underground. Also, there is a public dock.

I used Lakehouse.com Home Page real estate, lakefront properties, lake property, lake homes for sale, waterfront properties, lakefront, waterfront to find my lot.

Old 04-17-2008, 03:04 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,464,896 times
How big of a lake are you wanting to live on?

Old 04-17-2008, 07:52 PM

I'm used to larger lakes - to be specific, we've vacationed on Smith Mountain Lake in Virginia several times. It's about 500 miles of shoreline.

Now, that being said, I have never considered the pros and cons of larger or smaller lakes. We hate the weekend warriors that come out on the weekends at SML, and if smaller lakes avoid that, then maybe that's something we should consider.

Any thoughts or pros and cons would be appreciated very much.

Old 04-17-2008, 08:28 PM

108 posts, read 452,286 times
Try this link for a start:
Category:Lakes of Kentucky - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
It's a wikipedia page, and I know that some people are a little skeptical of wikipedia, but the list looks pretty thorough to me.

Quote:
Now, that being said, I have never considered the pros and cons of larger or smaller lakes. We hate the weekend warriors that come out on the weekends at SML, and if smaller lakes avoid that, then maybe that's something we should consider.
One thing to consider regarding smaller lakes is that sometimes they may have certain restrictions. For instance, Greenbo Lake in northeastern Kentucky is very small, and I think the entire lake is a no wake zone. That sort of makes for some not-so-fun waterskiing!

Whoops, I did notice at least one omission on that page. Yatesville Lake (in Lawrence County) isn't included. It was created about 15 years ago. There may be other lakes left off that page as well. I guess that sort of proves my point about people being skeptical of wikipedia.

Last edited by The Village Idiot; 04-17-2008 at 08:31 PM.. Reason: noticed an error on wikipedia

Old 04-18-2008, 12:36 PM

76 posts, read 344,685 times
It all depends on what part of Kentucky. In Southwestern Kentucky we have Lake Barkley and Kentucky Lake. The Land Between the Lakes lies between them.
Development is not allowed on the LBL side. Kentucky is a much wider lake and prices seem to be a little higher than Barkley. But Barkley is a good size lake also. It is operated for flood control, navigation, power production and recreation. The lake elevation runs about 354 feet during winter pool and 359 during summer pool. With all the rain that we have had lately it has been up well past summr pool. Water temperature right now is between 57 and 60 degrees. Great fishing on both lakes! Docks are allowed with Corp of Engineers approval except for in restricted areas. The advantage is the ability to fish whenever you want. If you have more questions I would be glad to help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky