Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2020, 04:51 AM

14,772 posts, read 8,103,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by COHeather View Post
Hi. We currently live in Westminster, Colorado between Denver and Boulder. We enjoy Jeeping offroad, hiking, running, and cycling (without spandex). We also enjoy movies and eating out. Suburb stuff, not city stuff. I hate the city (no offense to awesome cities out there).

We're considering Tennessee (Maryville area), but that's a little close to my mother-in-law for my own comfort, so my husband has recently expanded his search to south- central-Kentucky. There's some beautiful places there, with acreage (appreciated for room to breathe, ability to own horses, and for the garage we'd like, with a lift to work on cars/Jeeps). My concern is it might be a little TOO rural. Are there towns that are not too far from activities in the mountains, and/or areas that have cycling/running paths?

Where we're at (Westminster, CO) is at the top end of my tolerance for population. Denver (where I work) has gotten completely out-of-control population- and traffic-wise. We can't go hiking, or even Jeeping for that matter, without being shoulder-to-shoulder with all the people that've moved here in the last five or so years. Boulder, where I went to high school in the 80s, is awful with the people coming in and buying perfectly good houses, claiming to care about the environment, and then tearing them down to build bigger, "greener" houses.

I'd love to get away from the crowds and hypocrisy, and back to real people, with real values and integrity, and a slower (more affordable) pace of life. (Not saying everyone here at home is yucky - there's just a lot of that around here)

We do need jobs. Husband can work remotely with his current job, unless he finds something local that he likes more (he manages an off-road shop). I'm a small (10 people) law office manager.

Thank you for reading, and for any suggestions of where we might look.
How did I ever miss this thread?
Well, Kentucky definitely has real people (down to earth) and a slower pace of life than many other places.
Do keep in mind that moving from one part of the country to a different part can be a cultural shock.
You might want to look for a smaller town within a 20 to 60 min. drive to one of the bigger cities. That way you can enjoy the best of both worlds. There are so many cute little towns in Kentucky....Midway, Paris, Bardstown, Maysville,
Newport, Elizabethtown....lots to chose from....maybe one will be just right for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny from Florida View Post
ill toss my .02 in the mix..
born and raised outside chicago
so i know to the bone cold..
you know, the kind where ya wear your coat inside at a gathering...

moved to florida in my 30's.
been here 24 years...
yeah..
this is tropical!
walked around the first few weeks drenched.
had to keep looking over my shoulder to make sure someone wasnt following me with a hose.

visited kentucky at all times of the supposed worst periods...heat/humidity /cold/etc.
what a nice relief, and i acclimate rather quick.

we just bought some land outside columbia, and as a second home, i wouldnt have it any other way.
the folks there are genuine friendly.
all the amenities i and the missus need are within reasonable driving distance, and whats traffic again?
i forget every time im there.

i think youll love it.
remember..
everything in life,
from where you live, what you do, and how its done is all up to you.
it can be miserable, or it can be bliss.
Great post. So true.

It's funny how several people look at one thing, and each sees it so differently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I do believe that you my friend brought Maysville to my attention several years ago in a post. I did buy a little Victorian in the downtown area. The house itself came rented and the lease won't expire until May which is a blessing because it allows me to finish out the work year here, get my house in CA ready to sell, make the big move and finally retire. I'm so looking forward to it.

I hope it's ok to post this picture I took in November of part of the downtown. My house is just one block away from here.
Great picture! Maysville is such a cute town! Glad you found a place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky