U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2019, 03:31 PM

8,390 posts, read 4,664,325 times

Advertisements

^Newport is situated on the Ohio River across from Cincinnati (even though it is in Kentucky it is part of the Cincinnati metropolitan
area. It has a Pedestrian bridge over the Ohio River to Cincinnati.)(Although if you watched the video, you probably already know that....there are a lot of small towns/rural areas nearby, and Cincinnati for a major city runs pretty Conservative in terms of politics.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2019, 08:02 PM

6,832 posts, read 14,413,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
^Newport is situated on the Ohio River across from Cincinnati (even though it is in Kentucky it is part of the Cincinnati metropolitan
area. It has a Pedestrian bridge over the Ohio River to Cincinnati.)(Although if you watched the video, you probably already know that....there are a lot of small towns/rural areas nearby, and Cincinnati for a major city runs pretty Conservative in terms of politics.)
That (Newport and Covington) and Louisville are the only true urban urban parts of KY. Downtown Lexington is starting to get there but at the end of the day, it still feels and acts like a smaller college town because everything, and I mean EVERYTHING revolves around the university. I once wore a Louisville shirt there and thought I was going to get shot! It's that bad, bordering on obnoxious.

But if you like Richmond, Louisville is going to be a similar vibe. If you like the area around Short Pump, for example, Norton Commons, Prospect KY, and the area around the Paddock Shops are going to be what you want.

Louisville has areas like the Fan and Carytown (but a bit better in my opinion) like the Highlands and Clifton/Crescent Hill. And Louisville has even more urban areas that are interesting from Germantown to downtown New Albany and Jeffersonville, IN.

Old 12-27-2019, 03:29 PM

13 posts, read 6,322 times
Thank you to everyone who responded and as I just got back from house hunting in Kentucky and I would like to now provide my take on the areas I visited.
I stayed right in Lexington at an Airbnb house very close to Lexington Cemetery which is beautiful. I looked at houses though in Danville, Harrodsburg, Cynthiana and Georgetown.
I did go to Louisville and saw 2 homes within the city. My price range was 300,000 to $365,000

For me the clear winner is the Lexington area.

While I live just outside of Richmond , I would not live in Richmond and I found both cities to have great shopping. Real estate in Lexington seems more expensive but the stores I went to , mainly antiques seemed cheaper. Louisville offers plenty of shopping but no offence to anyone, I found it kind of dumpy and the store prices seemed high. The areas surrounding Lexington were breathtakingly beautiful as I drove to the smaller towns. Danville was very nice, Cynthiana has it's charms but is a bit rundown, Georgetown was spectacular. I could live in any of them.

I moved from NY to Richmond 32 years ago when it was a conservative small southern city. Boy, has it changed. Expensive real estate, liberal and in many ways, like our country, politically divided. As a conservative, I don't think it's been a change for the better. From what I saw of my week in Kentucky, I could see Louisville as being the more liberal city of the 2. Another reason I preferred the greater Lexington area. The countryside was very much like Charlottesville. The traffic within the city was a nightmare, worse then Richmond but once outside the city it was heaven.

All in all, a beautiful state and I found 2 homes that are possibilities. Maybe one day it will be home. Thank you again to all who replied.

Old 12-29-2019, 12:50 PM

8,390 posts, read 4,664,325 times
So glad that you had a nice experience!
I have lived in both Louisville and Lexington and the Lexington area is hands down my favorite too.
Good luck and hope that you find your dream home!

Old 01-21-2020, 05:47 AM

6,832 posts, read 14,413,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirgPhotog View Post
Thank you to everyone who responded and as I just got back from house hunting in Kentucky and I would like to now provide my take on the areas I visited.
I stayed right in Lexington at an Airbnb house very close to Lexington Cemetery which is beautiful. I looked at houses though in Danville, Harrodsburg, Cynthiana and Georgetown.
I did go to Louisville and saw 2 homes within the city. My price range was 300,000 to $365,000

For me the clear winner is the Lexington area.

While I live just outside of Richmond , I would not live in Richmond and I found both cities to have great shopping. Real estate in Lexington seems more expensive but the stores I went to , mainly antiques seemed cheaper. Louisville offers plenty of shopping but no offence to anyone, I found it kind of dumpy and the store prices seemed high. The areas surrounding Lexington were breathtakingly beautiful as I drove to the smaller towns. Danville was very nice, Cynthiana has it's charms but is a bit rundown, Georgetown was spectacular. I could live in any of them.

I moved from NY to Richmond 32 years ago when it was a conservative small southern city. Boy, has it changed. Expensive real estate, liberal and in many ways, like our country, politically divided. As a conservative, I don't think it's been a change for the better. From what I saw of my week in Kentucky, I could see Louisville as being the more liberal city of the 2. Another reason I preferred the greater Lexington area. The countryside was very much like Charlottesville. The traffic within the city was a nightmare, worse then Richmond but once outside the city it was heaven.

All in all, a beautiful state and I found 2 homes that are possibilities. Maybe one day it will be home. Thank you again to all who replied.
Personally, I consider Lexington a dumpy small town, but to each his own. It also thinks very highly of itself when there is nothing there to make it think that way. The problem you may have ran into is you simply cannot judge a MSA of 1.3 million by checking two houses. Lexington has some beautiful small towns surrounding it but so does Louisville. Unfortunately, sounds like you didn't make it to really any of them. That also goes for Louisville's Indiana suburbs. Louisville is most like Richmond. That's a statistical fact. Sounds like you wanted a small town like Lexington and I am glad you found what you are looking for. I'd suggest more trips into Louisville to discover some things that will surprise you. I'd be happy to guide you into areas where close to a million people live which aren't "dumpy."

Old 01-23-2020, 09:59 AM

10,998 posts, read 9,227,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Personally, I consider Lexington a dumpy small town, but to each his own. It also thinks very highly of itself when there is nothing there to make it think that way. The problem you may have ran into is you simply cannot judge a MSA of 1.3 million by checking two houses. Lexington has some beautiful small towns surrounding it but so does Louisville. Unfortunately, sounds like you didn't make it to really any of them. That also goes for Louisville's Indiana suburbs. Louisville is most like Richmond. That's a statistical fact. Sounds like you wanted a small town like Lexington and I am glad you found what you are looking for. I'd suggest more trips into Louisville to discover some things that will surprise you. I'd be happy to guide you into areas where close to a million people live which aren't "dumpy."
Projection?

Old 02-13-2020, 10:54 AM

723 posts, read 1,505,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
That (Newport and Covington) and Louisville are the only true urban urban parts of KY. Downtown Lexington is starting to get there but at the end of the day, it still feels and acts like a smaller college town because everything, and I mean EVERYTHING revolves around the university. I once wore a Louisville shirt there and thought I was going to get shot! It's that bad, bordering on obnoxious.

But if you like Richmond, Louisville is going to be a similar vibe. If you like the area around Short Pump, for example, Norton Commons, Prospect KY, and the area around the Paddock Shops are going to be what you want.

Louisville has areas like the Fan and Carytown (but a bit better in my opinion) like the Highlands and Clifton/Crescent Hill. And Louisville has even more urban areas that are interesting from Germantown to downtown New Albany and Jeffersonville, IN.
Lexington has a more urban center than Covington or Newport. I'm from Louisville too and have worn Cardinal gear in Lexington and out in the state, never had a rude comment yet.

To your earlier comment, Lexington and Charlottesville are not alike. Cville is a more traditional college town. Lexington is much larger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or