Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2019, 03:48 PM

14 posts, read 15,972 times

Advertisements

Lived in the greater Richmond Virginia area 31 years, now retired and looking to find a 3000+ square foot older renovated home, I can afford (under $300,000) and Kentucky seem to have quite a few. I've already seen 2 last September. I don't want to live in a big city but in a smaller place near a big city (say 30 to 40 minutes away) and that seems to come down to living near Louisville, Lexington or Owensboro.
I love to cook and want to be near as many different types of grocery stores as possible. I also would want to be near lots of antique, thrift,consignment and discount furniture stores. I rarely eat out but when I do it's ethnic food (love middle eastern) or Bar-B-Que. I also enjoy plays.
I'm 61 , don't care about nightlife, have no kids or pets, but love to have places to walk, large parks etc.
Richmond Va has become very cosmopolitan but also very liberal. I am a conservative but not religious, don't drink alcohol, but still strive to get along with all types of people.
When it comes to a variety of shopping, things to do, especially shopping for the larger home I hope to have, would I do best to live outside Lexington , Louisville or Owensboro ? I've already found homes to see online in Henderson, Frankfort, Paris, Winchester, Cynthiana and Danville. thanks in advance, Charles
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2019, 06:24 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,153,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirgPhotog View Post
Lived in the greater Richmond Virginia area 31 years, now retired and looking to find a 3000+ square foot older renovated home, I can afford (under $300,000) and Kentucky seem to have quite a few. I've already seen 2 last September. I don't want to live in a big city but in a smaller place near a big city (say 30 to 40 minutes away) and that seems to come down to living near Louisville, Lexington or Owensboro.
I love to cook and want to be near as many different types of grocery stores as possible. I also would want to be near lots of antique, thrift,consignment and discount furniture stores. I rarely eat out but when I do it's ethnic food (love middle eastern) or Bar-B-Que. I also enjoy plays.
I'm 61 , don't care about nightlife, have no kids or pets, but love to have places to walk, large parks etc.
Richmond Va has become very cosmopolitan but also very liberal. I am a conservative but not religious, don't drink alcohol, but still strive to get along with all types of people.
When it comes to a variety of shopping, things to do, especially shopping for the larger home I hope to have, would I do best to live outside Lexington , Louisville or Owensboro ? I've already found homes to see online in Henderson, Frankfort, Paris, Winchester, Cynthiana and Danville. thanks in advance, Charles
Winchester would be a good candidate based on what you write. It is within the 30-40 time frame to Lexington, which has plenty of the shops and restaurants you mention. It is low cost and has places to walk. Frankfort is a bit busier and I would be more hesitant to buy a house like you describe there because it is most likely in a flood plain, plus Frankfort does have some areas with more than average crime levels.

Old 11-05-2019, 02:16 AM

14,773 posts, read 8,103,690 times
Either Louisville or Lexington would work from what you describe that you want.
(Probably Owensboro too, but I haven't visited there since the 1980's so I can't really say for sure.)
Lexington has several towns that are 20-30 minutes away...Danville, Winchester, Paris, Versailles, Georgetown, Wilmore,
Richmond...you would be near the Daniel Boone National Forest, Raven Run,
Red River Gorge, Natural Bridge, etc. so lots of gorgeous hiking.
We have lots of Groceries from Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, Good Food Co-op, plus standard groceries like Krogers, Aldi's,Meijers,
and of course Farmers Markets abound in the area.

Any way welcome to the Kentucky forum here at City Data. Happy House Hunting!

Old 11-05-2019, 11:17 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,740,696 times
Quote:
I'd DEFINITELY only consider suburbs outside Louisville. Your requirements for ethnic food, furnuture, and thrift shops rule out anywhere but Louisville (or Cincinnati's NKY suburbs but the areas near Louisville are more "Kentucky").

Louisville is Richmond VA's twin.

You need to look at La Grange, and Shelbyville, KY. Both are suburbs of Louisville, have some small shops themselves, are 30-40 mins to Louisville, and Shelbyville itself is literally between Lexington and Louisville.

Many on here will try to push you to some of these small towns outside MSA or towards eastern KY (or towards Lexington as this forum is very pro Lexington), but the harsh fact is the amenities just aren't there. Lexington is tiny compared to Richmond and doesn't offer the thrift, and especially, the ethnic food that does Louisville.

As one example ,look at this Middle Eastern buffet:

https://www.yelp.com/biz/alhamra-buffet-louisville-2

Only one place in KY to find that!

Old 11-05-2019, 03:25 PM

Default thank you to everyone

I thank everyone who responded. Yes I am looking to find an area in Kentucky that would duplicate what I have here in Richmond. I had been leaning towards Lexington but need to explore more about Louisville. That middle eastern buffet looks wonderful.

Old 11-05-2019, 08:22 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,153,979 times
I agree Louisville is a lot like Richmond and if that is what you are trying to replicate you might want to consider concentrating in it’s 30-40 minute radius. It is unquestionably Kentucky’s most liberal area, as well as it’s most urban area. None of the cities you listed are near Louisville.

Old 11-06-2019, 05:59 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,740,696 times
Quote:
I thank everyone who responded. Yes I am looking to find an area in Kentucky that would duplicate what I have here in Richmond. I had been leaning towards Lexington but need to explore more about Louisville. That middle eastern buffet looks wonderful.
WITHIUT QUESTION, it's Louisville that best replicates Richmond . Lexington is still a smallish college town even though it tries not to be (think Charlottesville).

I think you are best served in Shelby or Oldham Counties. While technically Louisville burbs, you are close to city amenities and even close to Lexington.

Places to focus are Crestwood, Prospect, La Grange, Pewee Valley, Simpsonville, Shelbyville, and Mt Washington. All are within 40 minutes of what you want but feel very quiet, almost rural small town like in parts.

The other towns you are looking are simply too isolated, and are mostly in Lexington's sphere which just won't offer what you need

Old 11-06-2019, 09:50 AM

Default thanks for the imput

Thank you to everyone for the further imput. The towns I listed have homes I can afford, so in the end my problem may come down to where I can afford to live. Since I am looking for a specific type house, old renovated and large, price per square foot may be more in the Louisville area, driving the price up on a large home into a price I can't afford.
Richmond has become very liberal, but I live 15 minutes south in a conservative area. I see a trip to Kentucky in my future and plan on visiting both cities. Thanks again !

Old 11-06-2019, 12:43 PM

14,773 posts, read 8,103,690 times
Louisville is probably more like Richmond than any other place in Kentucky. But,

But, Despite what people on here may post Lexington also has plenty of thrift stores and ethnic restaurants.
Lexington may not be as Cosmopolitan as Louisville, but it is a gorgeous city and area.

Both Louisville and Lexington lean a bit Liberal, at least in certain areas, but the small towns surrounding
them definitely lean Conservative, by nature.
A trip to scope things out is a very good idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3w2UaYBLw7U&t=39s

Old 11-07-2019, 03:19 PM

Default thank you

Thank you for the link to that video. I've only ever been to Kentucky twice. I've never heard of Newport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky