Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2019, 05:31 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times

Advertisements

In Kentucky until Christmas. Drove in from Cleveland and had lost all my patience when I got on the Gene Synder in Louisville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2019, 05:06 AM

20,123 posts, read 16,142,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
In Kentucky until Christmas. Drove in from Cleveland and had lost all my patience when I got on the Gene Synder in Louisville.
Lol - can you imagine if those same drivers in the DC area?

Old 12-23-2019, 06:11 PM

1,059 posts, read 1,879,827 times
Do we have any smokers around here.....meat smokers that is. I normally smoke red meat like Butt, Brisket, Tri-tip, Pork belly, Bologna but, I'd like to try smoking a Turkey or a large Chicken. My question is to brine or not to brine? What do you all say?

Since the weather looks good for Christmas I considered trying my first for Christmas Dinner but, thought it might not be a good idea to experiment with the family.

Thanks Oldhag

Old 12-24-2019, 02:26 AM

14,756 posts, read 8,090,641 times
I have no experience with that Hogsrus, but my Husband is going to start brining the Christmas turkey today.

I can't believe it is already Christmas Eve! I just wanted to say Merry Christmas to everyone. I hope you all have one of the Merriest and most beautiful Christmas's yet. May your Christmas and New Year be filled with Love, Hope, Peace and all the Happiness you ever wanted. You all are great!

Old 12-24-2019, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
I have no experience with that Hogsrus, but my Husband is going to start brining the Christmas turkey today.

I can't believe it is already Christmas Eve! I just wanted to say Merry Christmas to everyone. I hope you all have one of the Merriest and most beautiful Christmas's yet. May your Christmas and New Year be filled with Love, Hope, Peace and all the Happiness you ever wanted. You all are great!

Thanks Cat Lady....and a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you!

Old 12-25-2019, 07:34 AM

408 posts, read 871,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Just wait until you get to the Waterson

Old 12-25-2019, 07:35 AM

408 posts, read 871,367 times
“To the American People: Christmas is not a time or a season but a state of mind. To cherish peace and good will, to be plenteous in mercy, is to have the real spirit of Christmas. If we think on these things, there will be born in us a Savior and over us will shine a star sending its gleam of hope to the world.

Calvin Coolidge
Presidential message, December 25, 1927

Old 12-27-2019, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogsrus View Post
Do we have any smokers around here.....meat smokers that is. I normally smoke red meat like Butt, Brisket, Tri-tip, Pork belly, Bologna but, I'd like to try smoking a Turkey or a large Chicken. My question is to brine or not to brine? What do you all say?

Since the weather looks good for Christmas I considered trying my first for Christmas Dinner but, thought it might not be a good idea to experiment with the family.

Thanks Oldhag

No Smokers!......Ye'all are missing out on the finer things in life!

Old 12-27-2019, 12:02 PM

11,082 posts, read 17,527,537 times
That's something I've wanted to try but haven't yet. Have a friend who smokes things a lot for friends and all the people in his apartment building. He smoked our Thanksgiving turkey for free and it was delicious.

My stepson brought something over for Christmas ( to go with our country ham and biscuits). It was eggs with onions and pepper in it, but you couldn't really taste either on that much. The egg was rolled up in a thick roll of sausage then was wrapped with bacon, and smoked. Loved it!!

Old 12-27-2019, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
That's something I've wanted to try but haven't yet. Have a friend who smokes things a lot for friends and all the people in his apartment building. He smoked our Thanksgiving turkey for free and it was delicious.

My stepson brought something over for Christmas ( to go with our country ham and biscuits). It was eggs with onions and pepper in it, but you couldn't really taste either on that much. The egg was rolled up in a thick roll of sausage then was wrapped with bacon, and smoked. Loved it!!
Everything is good wrapped in bacon and then smoked. Youtube has all you need to know. I smoked for years on a offset smoker and Weber Smokey Mountain using wood and charcoal, like you see at Lowe's and Home depot, they work great but, require a lot of attention to maintain the correct temp, temp is critical. So, 12...14 hrs smoking a 10+ pound Pork butt or Brisket makes for a long day. Until, I found my Rec-Tec pellet smoker....fill it up with pellets of your choice (Hickory, Apple, Cherry, or a blend, that's what I use) and set the temp and forget it for the most part. Die hard smokers say's you are cheating if you use a pellet smoker...I don't care what they say. Smoking has become very popular in the last few years so, there are several pellet smokers on the market. They all work basically the same way. I seen a Treager at Lowe's the other day for....I think was $288.00 it was a smaller one but, big enough for most people and will probably hold two Butt's.

A lot of BBQ joints has sprang up lately and, it's all good to some extent but it's hard to consistently produce good BBQ all day every day, it's literally a 24 hr. job. It has a tendency to dry out and I'm sure it was very good right off the smoker. There is nothing better than a Pork butt or Brisket right off the smoker with an hour wrap time in foil and a blanket and then serve.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky