U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-25-2020, 12:51 AM
 
Location: Mid-Atlantic
27,972 posts, read 26,642,585 times
Reputation: 34975

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
Don't forget the toilet paper! lol
One of the dumbest things I saw after the ice storm was on a trip to the Hoptown Walmart. People heard about the ice storm coming and bought portable generators for the power outage. Ice melts, everything thaws out and a lot of those folks haul those generators back to Walmart for a refund. I could find a place to store mine. Never know when you might need it again.
Something else I learned from a couple Walmart employees, all the people who buy out half the grocery part of the store when the forecast is 1-3", acting like they won't be able to get out of the house for a month, then take the food back for a refund, are costing us money. Most of that food can't be put back on the shelf or donated. It has to thrown away. Thanks to Homeland Security.
I never forget toilet paper. I was going to mention that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-25-2020, 06:02 PM
 
8,363 posts, read 4,648,010 times
Reputation: 15522
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
2 weeks is a very long time. I wonder if people were able to turn off the water at the meter and drain the pipes as much as possible when they knew it would be several days or weeks for power to be restored. 2 weeks must be a worst case scenario I would imagine.
Actually, we were talking about it last night, and my husband says the electricity across the street was only out for 7 or 8 days,
I am not for sure which of the two of us is right...we are both getting older!
It was shocking that it was out for so long, usually in the city if it goes out they get it back on within a few hours.
Thank goodness ours was out only for a few hours...evidently were were on the same grid as a nearby shopping center/businesses and they considered that a priority for some reason.
The state claims they have updated the system and nothing like this should happen again, with electricity being lost for so long. I hope so.
I love Early American History and hearing about the pioneers, but I wasn't really wanting to live like one!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2020, 06:05 PM
 
8,363 posts, read 4,648,010 times
Reputation: 15522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I never forget toilet paper. I was going to mention that.
I often wonder what life would have been like before electricity, modern plumbing, television, but
Imagine what it would have been like to have lived back in the day before Toilet paper was invented!!!!!

History Of Toilet Paper
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2020, 08:56 PM
Status: "Love being retired!" (set 29 days ago)
 
Location: In the Pearl of the Purchase, Ky
8,190 posts, read 13,686,667 times
Reputation: 33794
I had a good laugh after that ice storm when talking to a former neighbor from when I lived in Sturgis. There's an Amish community in Mattoon, between Sturgis and Marion. A friend of his lived near the Amish and talked to a man going by the house on his horse. The Amish man stopped and asked how he was doing and was told they were having problems with no electricity in the house. The bearded man grinned and said, "We've never had any electricity in our house and we're doing fine. See how that modern stuff is bad for you?" lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2020, 11:46 PM
 
13,250 posts, read 6,266,453 times
Reputation: 24062
It's amazing isn't it how much we take electricity for granted now. I think of Daniel Boone who lived in small log cabins. His last one in KY is in Nicholas county. He had almost nothing we would consider comforts today yet he lived to be in his 80s.
I had a Great Aunt who came to New York as a child around the turn of the 20th century through Ellis Island. She would tell stories of New York city with horses and buggies and gas lamps.
Hopefully an ice storm resulting in electrical outages of that magnitude won't happen again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2020, 05:25 PM
 
11,004 posts, read 9,210,497 times
Reputation: 20226
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
It's amazing isn't it how much we take electricity for granted now. I think of Daniel Boone who lived in small log cabins. His last one in KY is in Nicholas county. He had almost nothing we would consider comforts today yet he lived to be in his 80s.
I had a Great Aunt who came to New York as a child around the turn of the 20th century through Ellis Island. She would tell stories of New York city with horses and buggies and gas lamps.
Hopefully an ice storm resulting in electrical outages of that magnitude won't happen again.
When my grandmother was in her mid-eighties in the late 1960s, my father asked her which of all the great changes and inventions she had witnessed in her long life was the most significant.

"Electricity", she answered without hesitation.

She lived long enough to witness television coverage of the first lunar landing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2020, 08:13 PM
 
Location: Mid-Atlantic
27,972 posts, read 26,642,585 times
Reputation: 34975
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
When my grandmother was in her mid-eighties in the late 1960s, my father asked her which of all the great changes and inventions she had witnessed in her long life was the most significant.

"Electricity", she answered without hesitation.

She lived long enough to witness television coverage of the first lunar landing.
That's spectacular.

Between the two of them, my parents had lived without electricity -but they had that more often than other utilities- and plumbing. Indoor plumbing was a bigger deal to them it seems. I think that they would have chosen radio over a toilet. I know that my dad would have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2020, 09:00 PM
Status: "Love being retired!" (set 29 days ago)
 
Location: In the Pearl of the Purchase, Ky
8,190 posts, read 13,686,667 times
Reputation: 33794
Gerania, with you saying your parents would have chosen radio over toilet reminded me of a story. My mother worked for the local newspaper and I went with her when she interviewed a man on his 104th birthday. When her article came out in the paper we heard what I thought at the time (I was 12) about him. He lived about 6 houses away from the Merit Clothing Company in Mayfield that made men's suits. A lady who worked there said it was funny sometimes when they got off work and were walking by his house going home, and he's standing on his front porch peeing out in the yard and saying hello to the ladies walking by. Heard the police told him he couldn't do that, so he started going out the back door. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2020, 09:15 PM
 
Location: Mid-Atlantic
27,972 posts, read 26,642,585 times
Reputation: 34975
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
Gerania, with you saying your parents would have chosen radio over toilet reminded me of a story. My mother worked for the local newspaper and I went with her when she interviewed a man on his 104th birthday. When her article came out in the paper we heard what I thought at the time (I was 12) about him. He lived about 6 houses away from the Merit Clothing Company in Mayfield that made men's suits. A lady who worked there said it was funny sometimes when they got off work and were walking by his house going home, and he's standing on his front porch peeing out in the yard and saying hello to the ladies walking by. Heard the police told him he couldn't do that, so he started going out the back door. lol
At 104, he should be allowed to get away with almost anything. Good idea going out the back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2020, 05:38 PM
 
Location: Eastern Kentucky Proud
912 posts, read 1,352,201 times
Reputation: 937
A little old (2011) but good work never the less...


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fe3VLLc5nDo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top