U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2019, 01:39 PM

3 posts, read 1,395 times

Advertisements

Hello all! Need some help relocating the family. We are 90% settled on KY... that other 10% is just nerves. I copied the questions from the stickied post so I didn't miss anything. Our plan is to come visit a few times for long weekends and scope everything out once we solidify a "where" although I know this can change once we see what seemingly looks good on paper. Thanks in advance!

- What region or city, if known, are you considering?
Oldham County now but my husband likes Lexington, so we are caught btwn Louisville and Lexington being our hubs.

- Have you been here yet?
KY yes. Oldham County, Lexington, or Louisville, no.

- When are you moving?
Need to be there by 2023 to start kids in school - they will be 4 by then.

- Where are you coming from?
Long Island, New York (Suffolk county to be exact).

- Why are you moving?
We have infants who we don't want raised in this overpriced, entitled cesspool, and we have tons of family in KY and IN that we want to be closer to.

- Where will you be working (location, not specific company)?
3 out of 4 adults coming are retired. I will look for work as a legal assistant once we are down there - I do not need to find work first, fortunately.

- Are you looking for a suburban, rural, city, or urban area? (Will you buy or rent? If buying, are you looking for a house, a condo, or a farm? How much can you spend? Are you looking for acreage? How much? If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend?)
We plan on renting when we first get down there due to wanting to build 2 houses on one big lot (2 acre min). We also want to rent to make sure where we choose is right before purchasing anything. We aren't opposed to a farm or near a farm. We are coming with NY social securities, pensions and retirement funds and from the look of it, if we have all survived pretty well where we are now we should be just fine in Oldham.

-Do you prefer public or private schools?
I am open to both. My main priority is safety to raise my family and a great school for my kids.

-Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet?
I want activity conveniently located but not right around the block. My husband and I are in our very early 40's and would enjoy to walk around and grab a beer occasionally. I want to live in the calm and quiet and I want it to stay that way for a long time -IDK if there are ways to project if areas are up and coming, because I don't want up and coming.

-What do you want to be closest to? (Work, Shopping,Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.) Nightlife)?
Whenever I google an address my 1st thing to check is how close it is to Target and Whole Foods.

:-)

Last edited by Oldhag1; 12-18-2019 at 06:36 AM.. Reason: I think I got it covered for you - let me know if I missed anything
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2019, 02:21 PM

11,004 posts, read 9,216,575 times
Your wish list seems realistic, other than one thing: I am unsure if zoning issues would allow two houses to be built on one lot.

Perhaps considering two existing houses within one block of one another might be easier - and quicker as well, as you'd be making use of existing housing stock rather than using resources and adding to urban sprawl by constructing two new houses.

Your proposed move is still several years away. While time does fly (the one thing that moves more quickly as years pass), I'd suggest a return visit to Kentucky, this time specifically to Oldham County.

Nothing like being there in person to get the feel of the place and get answers to questions, old or new.

Old 12-17-2019, 02:28 PM

3 posts, read 1,395 times
I am definitely willing to give up the 2 on 1 lot thing. That's not even a worry if it's not possible.

Time does fly and I do not want to leave this until last minute. 2023 is my latest, I would move next year if it all fell into line quicker.

Old 12-23-2019, 04:59 AM

825 posts, read 641,190 times
Oldham county is definitely where there is money. I grew up in KY and I find LOUISVILLE to be great and Lexington to me has lost a part of its charm. Huge drug problem in LEXINGTON and it is dominated by hospital traffic and trains in city limits. Very noisy in my opinion.

Good luck. You can always find yourself a huge lot and subdivide it. That’s what the people did who bought my parents house and 10 acres in ELIZABETHTOWN.

Old 12-25-2019, 08:45 AM

1,212 posts, read 1,032,381 times
If you don't want up and coming, then you should want NOTHING to do with Oldham County, as it is the fastest growing county in the entire state. The growth there is almost all from affluent people who work in Jefferson County, as the Jefferson County School system is something awful - while Oldham offers some of the best schools in the state.

If you would consider Indiana as an option, I think somewhere in Floyd or Harrison County would be ideal. It's far enough away from Louisville where growth isn't as fast, but also close enough to downtown Louisville and the airport that you won't feel like you're in the boonies. I know a few people that live in Lanesville, IN (which might be Harrison Co) and commute into Louisville for work and they say it's no big deal, probably easier than Oldham. Floyd County Indiana schools also rival Oldham and the culture, while slightly different is still very much a Midwestern/Southern mix.

I used to work for a rural home lender, and at least one way around the 2 houses issue is to buy one plot of land and then parcel it out for the 2nd property. If you do come out this way, check around for Farm Credit offices, they may be able to help you with your multiple home idea, as their rural mortgage folks have realtors they work with who know those areas quite well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky